Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

We've seen that Gordon can be a quality CB that's strong, physical and likes a goal every now and then. 

But the fall off in his form has been staggering and the question is can he raise his game again? A fresh start and not being the captain of the team he supports might just do it.

21 hours ago, Gekko said:

Does the third kit need to go? I'm sure we've kept thirds for a bit longer than one season in the past. We also didn't get this one until nearly Christmas.

I think it's a great looking kit, helped by the fact that we always seem to play well in it.

Agree totally with a return to white shorts next year though, and hopefully white socks as well.

You won't have to wait long to find out re the next seasons kits. Unusually for Saints, they will be ready pre holidays this year.

On Gordon, if he goes, he goes. I think he'd be well suited to the physicality of the English leagues.

I might be in the minority, but I think he still has plenty to offer saints. He's in a way, been let down by having players around him, who don't really fit in beside his style of play. Think back to him next to Kerr. The balance was there. When Kerr drove forward, Gordon covered and could defend in the way he does, safe in the knowledge that Kerr had the legs to cover himbif needs be. McGowan and Considine don't have that, so it means Gordon looks exposed and looks as though he is carrying too much burden on himself. Bring in a more mobile centre half next season and if Gordon stays, he'll look much much better.

13 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Yes, he will. How much do you think the top earners at Saints are paid?

Between £2k and £3k a week, with Gordon nearer the bottom end of that than the top.

This is a good review by Eric Nicolson. How we got here and why. With a realisation there isn't the stomach for more of the same.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/4987663/st-johnstone-season-review-2023-24/

With a transfer snippet that Steven MacLean missed out on Australian centre back Jordan Courtney-Perkins.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

This is a good review by Eric Nicolson. How we got here and why. With a realisation there isn't the stomach for more of the same.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/4987663/st-johnstone-season-review-2023-24/

With a transfer snippet that Steven MacLean missed out on Australian centre back Jordan Courtney-Perkins.

Nice use of an oxymoron.

19 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

On Gordon, if he goes, he goes. I think he'd be well suited to the physicality of the English leagues.

I might be in the minority, but I think he still has plenty to offer saints. He's in a way, been let down by having players around him, who don't really fit in beside his style of play. Think back to him next to Kerr. The balance was there. When Kerr drove forward, Gordon covered and could defend in the way he does, safe in the knowledge that Kerr had the legs to cover himbif needs be. McGowan and Considine don't have that, so it means Gordon looks exposed and looks as though he is carrying too much burden on himself. Bring in a more mobile centre half next season and if Gordon stays, he'll look much much better.

I agree.

He’s had some poor moments but so has every single Saints player over the past (3) season(s). I’d like him to stay, but totally understand if he wants to try his luck elsewhere.

Defences are all about partnerships and understanding, and since the consistency of selection of the second half of 2020-21, there’s been a lot of players used in centre defence:-

McCart, Rooney, Gordon, Dendoncker, Mueller, Ambrose, Booth (?), Mahon, Cleary, Considine, McGowan, Maclelland and probably others I’m missing.

You think of the two most successful Saints teams of the past 10 years or so:-

Mackay Anderson Wright Easton  and

Rooney Kerr Gordon McCart Booth (Tanser). 

There was never even a question going into matches that those would be the defences selected, you just knew.

We need to build a starting team with a core of players that you can rely on most weeks, with squad players you can bring in where required, instead of just signing shitloads of bodies then firing up the tomboys every week to see who starts.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Defences are all about partnerships and understanding, and since the consistency of selection of the second half of 2020-21, there’s been a lot of players used in centre defence:-

McCart, Rooney, Gordon, Dendoncker, Mueller, Ambrose, Booth (?), Mahon, Cleary, Considine, McGowan, Maclelland and probably others I’m missing.

What transfermarkt says for CBs since selling Kerr, in all competitions...

McCart, Muller, Brown, Dendoncker, Ambrose, Rooney, Cleary, Mahon, Considine, McGowan, Mitchell, McClelland, Olufunwa, Robinson, Parker, Kerr Smith.

So think that's 16 in 3 seasons? With the knowledge Gordon has been a starter in all 3 and all shapes so it's really 16 players for 2 positions.

for all the honking players we've brought in and given long contracts too, also worth remembering that we literally had to pay Bair and  Mahon to leave, both players who surely would've been upgrades on what we had this season. I know Bair maybe needed a change and blah blah but he's still going to be more useful than Jephcott for instance

8 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

for all the honking players we've brought in and given long contracts too, also worth remembering that we literally had to pay Bair and  Mahon to leave, both players who surely would've been upgrades on what we had this season. I know Bair maybe needed a change and blah blah but he's still going to be more useful than Jephcott for instance

It's absolutely staggering the amount of money we've wasted in recent years. And Tommy got SFA to spend after the cup win in 2014.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

What transfermarkt says for CBs since selling Kerr, in all competitions...

McCart, Muller, Brown, Dendoncker, Ambrose, Rooney, Cleary, Mahon, Considine, McGowan, Mitchell, McClelland, Olufunwa, Robinson, Parker, Kerr Smith.

So think that's 16 in 3 seasons? With the knowledge Gordon has been a starter in all 3 and all shapes so it's really 16 players for 2 positions.

I knew I’d missed one or two, but there’s about 5 I missed! Forgetting Mitchell was inexcusable.

And then reading @steviemay17’s mention of Luke Jephcott.. It was just last season and I’d forgotten all about his existence.

The total number of players to play in our first team since the summer of 2021 must be huge.  Before anyone checks, what would everyone guess?? I’ll say 82, though that’s maybe a bit high…

17 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I knew I’d missed one or two, but there’s about 5 I missed! Forgetting Mitchell was inexcusable.

And then reading @steviemay17’s mention of Luke Jephcott.. It was just last season and I’d forgotten all about his existence.

The total number of players to play in our first team since the summer of 2021 must be huge.  Before anyone checks, what would everyone guess?? I’ll say 82, though that’s maybe a bit high…

Would it be including those sold in 21 like Kerr and McCann?

I genuinely think you could be close if you include the cups, considering the youngsters used this season.