Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Tam Ritchie is a decent signing for you. Hartley had him at Alloa when they were flying and we looked the fittest we'd looked in years with him as our fitness coach. Apparently has a background in athletics. We started doing some daft training with bands which was heavily laughed at at the time but seems to be in use more and more these days.

Not bad.

Goalkeepers 

Josh Rae - 2026

Ross Sinclair - 2026

Defenders/wing backs

Olusadare Olufunwa - 2025

David Keltjens - 2025

Sam McClelland - 2025

Liam Parker - 2025

Jack Sanders 2026

Midfielders/wingers

Drey Wright - 2025

Fran Franczak - 2025(?)

Sven Sprangler - 2025

Connor Smith - 2025

Max Kucheriavyi - 2025

Cammy McPherson - 2025

Matt Smith - 2025

Alex Ferguson - 2025

Graham Carey - 2025

Josh McPake - 2026

Attackers

Stevie May - 2025

Nicky Clark - 2025

Benjamin Kimpioka - 2025

Adama Sidibeh - 2026

Uche Ikpeazu - 2026

Taylor Steven - 2026

Released/left the club

Dimitar Mitov (Aberdeen - undisclosed fee) 

Jack Wills (Queen's Park)

James Brown

Andy Considine 

Callum Booth (Spartans)

Tony Gallagher

Ali Crawford

Cammy Ballantyne (Linfield)

Chris Kane (Dunfermline Athletic)

Loans ended 

Dave Richards

Kerr Smith

Luke Robinson

Diallang Jaiyesimi

Out of contract

Liam Gordon

Ryan McGowan 

Daniel Phillips 

Moved the 3 out of contract players out of the main squad list, I can't see them coming back here now and I'd hope that, if a deadline hasn't already been set, that one is set soon before offers are withdrawn and we can move on. 

We have a LONG way to go. 

On the assumption it's going 442, I think we definitely need new starters at:

- Centre Back 

- Left Back

- Left Mid

And I think we should also be looking for starters at:

- Centre Mid

- Right Back

- Goalkeeper

- Potentially another Centre Back, McClelland dependent 

The only additional squad filler we'd need is a back up left back, so would expect future signings to now be starting XI quality.

You could try and start Spangler and Smith in the middle, but let's not.

I would guess the two highest paid players in the squad are May and Clark, neither of which are likely to be first choice this season. The legacy lives on.

Edited by monkfish

10 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Does anyone really think they're not going to immediately go back to the 5-3-2 or versions of?

I'll be very surprised is Saunders isn't a Considine replacement on the left of the three. 

Almost certainly. it means one (or more) of McClelland, Olufunwa or Sanders will start every week. We won't sign 3 additional CBs.  

Have to hope McClelland's form towards the end of last season at United is an indicator he's good enough as the other two feel unlikely to be. 

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Does anyone really think they're not going to immediately go back to the 5-3-2 or versions of?

I'll be very surprised is Saunders isn't a Considine replacement on the left of the three. 

Genuinely don't mind what we play as long as we sign players that fit that system. The hybrid we were playing towards the end of the season at least suggested at a management team that will pick a formation to suit what's available. Levein prioritised strikers in January which didn't leave to much flexibility but has chance now to implement what he wants. 

We should have a much better idea of direction by end of the group games. 

My slight concern is that Levein made a few comments early about being in a different market with saints and having to think differently. That's gone relatively well thus far but I do worry that every signing is going to end up being a bit of a punt. 

Agree with Tam on this one, will keep the powder dry until September. Reserve the right to through the toys out the pram after that. 

1 minute ago, Derryboy62 said:

Josh Mcpake is that bad that compared to him Dara Costelloe looks like a prime Jimmy Johnstone

(I'm genuinely being serious when I say that, not taking the piss)

If McPake does the square root of f**k all and doesn't get sent off whilst in a Saints shirt then he's better than a prime Dara Costelloe. 

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

If McPake does the square root of f**k all and doesn't get sent off whilst in a Saints shirt then he's better than a prime Dara Costelloe. 

He'll probably end up injuring your players in training or something daft like that then. 

If he wasn't on Rangers books as a youth then he'd be playing junior football.  Must have something about him if the mighty Rangers once signed him though...

57 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I don’t think Sanders is left footed so hopefully not. Hopefully back up to McClelland and a new left sided starter comes in. 

The squads shaping up for a back four I think. Neither McPake or Steven can play wing back, and adding them to the striker pool would give you far too many in there. 

It feels like it's going to be a squad that flits between shapes so there will be times with a back 3 though. 

It's either that or it's, yet another, go at 5-2-3 with McPake/Steven the inverted wingers either side of Ikpeazu...

Rae

Wright - Sanders - McClelland - LCB - LWB

MacPherson - Sprangler

Steven - Ikpeazu - McPake

... which I'd hate.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The squads shaping up for a back four I think. Neither McPake or Steven can play wing back, and adding them to the striker pool would give you far too many in there. 

It feels like it's going to be a squad that flits between shapes so there will be times with a back 3 though. 

It's either that or it's, yet another, go at 5-2-3 with McPake/Steven the inverted wingers either side of Ikpeazu...

Rae

MacPherson - Sprangler

... which I'd hate.

Yes get that line up and formation to f**k!

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Aye it's a shite one but it's how Kirk set up a lot at Brechin, and I'm sure they tried it with us early on?

I hate the shape entirely now tbh. Hate seeing Scotland play the same way, hate the fact at least three sides (United, Motherwell, St Mirren) in the league are going to play it next season. 

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rae

MacPherson - Sprangler

... which I'd hate.

I knew it wasn't the greatest of starts to the summer for you lads but that looks like a record low point total challenging side.

Fucking hell that's poor.

Hanging on to Sidibeh is a must.

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rae

MacPherson - Sprangler

... which I'd hate.

47 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I knew it wasn't the greatest of starts to the summer for you lads but that looks like a record low point total challenging side.

I'll bet that that line up and in that formation never lines up for Saints, even in the league cup or friendlies.

One million percent certain of this. It's just Random looking at worst possible scenarios, the daft c**t can't look at positives.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think, at the moment, our "strongest" eleven is...

Rae

Keltjens - McClelland - Sanders - Bright

Wright - MacPherson - Sprangler - Carey

Sidibeh - Clark

Which is better than what i posted. That was just a "whats the worst that could happen" view.

3 hours ago, Saint DBL said:

I don’t think Sanders is left footed so hopefully not. Hopefully back up to McClelland and a new left sided starter comes in. 

There was a whole conversation in here about how he was and how left sided centre backs were hard to come by so was just believing those who were discussing that 🤷‍♂️

37 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

There was a whole conversation in here about how he was and how left sided centre backs were hard to come by so was just believing those who were discussing that 🤷‍♂️

Must have missed that one, he may well be then. I was just going off the Ayr highlights I’d watched so who knows.