Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Would he be a bad signing or is RG being dramatic? I’ve searched his name in the Dundee thread and on Twitter and I don’t really see anything that disturbs me too much. Surely preferable to the signings of McPake and Sanders.

What's he, 6th choice at Dundee? If that, along with Sanders and McPake, is the extent of our ambition this summer then we'd be as well just accepting relegation now given the strength of the rest of the league.

7 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Would he be a bad signing or is RG being dramatic? I’ve searched his name in the Dundee thread and on Twitter and I don’t really see anything that disturbs me too much. Surely preferable to the signings of McPake and Sanders.

I think he’s the defensive version of Ross Callachan.  Can do a *passable* job but if you’re relying on him to be the best of the bunch you’re in serious bother.  

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I think he’s the defensive version of Ross Callachan.  Can do a *passable* job but if you’re relying on him to be the best of the bunch you’re in serious bother.  

This is where my worry is.

I think if he signs it'll only be because he's been told he's a guaranteed starter.

If he's a guaranteed starter with his experience, and considering our other CBs, he'll likely be seen as the "leader" of the defence.

That means he'll be organising and, I might be wrong, but I think his game collapses when he has to concentrate on anything other than his own game.

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

What's he, 6th choice at Dundee? If that, along with Sanders and McPake, is the extent of our ambition this summer then we'd be as well just accepting relegation now given the strength of the rest of the league.

I know very little about him tbh. Were his 21 appearances from the bench? I’ve read that he was out of action (possibly due to injury) for a little while, so 21 would seem respectable enough if so. And he agreed a pre-contract with Dundee earlier this year, so I assume he had done enough to merit that?

Lamie, Sanders and McPake are ones where you can probably justify a couple of those types of signings but if your whole window consists of them then it will be a problem. 

Similar to when we signed Considine, McGowan, Murphy etc in one window but for different reasons. Individually ok but as a whole not. 

36 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

He's not bad. I initially had the same sort of reaction as RG when the first PCA was announced. He's a perfectly serviceable, left side, poor man's version of Joe Shaughnessy. He's certainly a better CH than say Ryan McGowan who was also at Dundee. He's culpable to sell the jersey every few games, but as far as top flight CH's go, he hits that standard and can only be described as 'Meh, decent enough'.

Maybe I'm naive but when we lose our captain (who was on a fortune), McGowan and Considine (who also would've been in a fair wage) I was hoping for better than a player who didn't kick a ball in the premiership last season and a morning after regret from Dundee to replace them. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Maybe I'm naive but when we lose our captain (who was on a fortune), McGowan and Considine (who also would've been in a fair wage) I was hoping for better than a player who didn't kick a ball in the premiership last season and a morning after regret from Dundee to replace them. 

To be fair, other than RG flapping about and your managers propensity to sign journeymen, there's nothing actually concrete in this as of yet.

43 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

This is basically it.

Looked decent in a back three that had Shaughnessy in it. When Shaughnessy got injured he looked lost - we had him at the centre of a back three and you could tell he wasn't a leader at all. 

If he's not your defender that you put all your hopes on making the team solid then he's fine coming in and out to do a job. If you're going to start him every week I suspect you'll be in bother.

I'm not fussed at the prospect of him not being at Dens next season.

Edited by Pens_Dark

2 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

This is basically it.

Looked decent in a back three that had Shaughnessy in it. When Shaughnessy got injured he looked lost - we had him at the centre of a back three and you could tell he wasn't a leader at all. 

If he's not your defender that you put all your hopes on making the team solid then he's fine coming in and out to do a job. If you're going to start him every week I suspect you'll be in bother.

I'm not fussed at the prospect of him not being at Dens next season.

Thanks, this reinforces my thoughts. It's clear he'd be one of our main players at centre back and I would say the body of evidence suggests he's fine to step in but not one to hang your hat on. A modern day Thomas Scobbie. 

He'd probably end up our captain FWIW.

Rae

Keltjens - McClelland - Lamie - Douglas

Wright - MacPherson - Sprangler - Carey

Sidibeh - Clark

3 minutes ago, Radford said:

The fact I'd take Ricki Lamie is the most damning indictment of where we currently are.

A new low point for you when you're disappointed when we miss out on Ricki Lamie 😂

Looking at Twitter, there were reports in May which stated that Banks was going to sign permanently with St Pauli. Would be interesting to know the timeline of our supposed interest as it seems like it was never really a viable option.

Edited by The Real Saints