Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Talk about glasses all you want but based on that I'm not at all looking forward to seeing McClelland and Sanders in the top tier. 

McClelland was getting away with ridiculous fouls on every long ball and Saunders looked a bit cavalier.

Less said about Smith and Macpherson the better.

But - 3 (cup) points in opening game of season - so things could be, and have been, worse.

I know it's only one game but they've gone back to the very same game plan and system that resulted in last season being terrible to watch. 

I know slightly different players as well but eerily similar to even the Davidson era. I just don't get the fascination with going back to the same failing setup.

Webb is keen to get more bums on seats. You're not going to achieve retaining the current ones never mind new ones if we're in for more turgid bodies behind the ball and steal a 1-0 at home. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Aye the shape clearly doesn't work and he's not made the signings that change that, IMO.

Essel looks good and what we need, roughly. CBs were hard to judge as never under pressure really. McPake can't play regularly, just nowhere near it. Forgot Smith was playing (as always really).

Interested to see how they play in the next couple.

15 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I know it's only one game but they've gone back to the very same game plan and system that resulted in last season being terrible to watch. 

I know slightly different players as well but eerily similar to even the Davidson era. I just don't get the fascination with going back to the same failing setup.

Webb is keen to get more bums on seats. You're not going to achieve retaining the current ones never mind new ones if we're in for more turgid bodies behind the ball and steal a 1-0 at home. 

Agree with all this really.

There should have been an awareness from Levein and Kirk that the support were absolutely scunnered with 5-2-3 and cautious, negative football. What we don't need or want is more of it.

Between the teams I think there was 3 shots on goal in the entire first half. That is not entertainment.

Just now, Der Panzer said:

Don’t worry lads - Utd will be going right back down based on today. 

You just need to navigate a playoff.

With the way we played today we'd have lost to Falkirk too, FWIW.

I had to watch the Utd game as the Dundee stream was giving me motion sickness. 

They didn’t just lose - they were pumped and look devoid of any pace and quality. It was very pleasing.

Some goal your boy scored - that your new CH? 

1 minute ago, Der Panzer said:

I had to watch the Utd game as the Dundee stream was giving me motion sickness. 

They didn’t just lose - they were pumped and look devoid of any pace and quality. It was very pleasing.

Some goal your boy scored - that your new CH? 

We'll see how we get on v Morton before I jump on any "laugh at United" train. Suppose they're hindered by Goodwin too, but that's offset by us having Kirk in charge.

Cameron one of the new CBs aye.

24 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Well done on scraping past Brechin.

Well done on another day where the tic bill is outstanding. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye the shape clearly doesn't work and he's not made the signings that change that, IMO.

Exactly the issue that did for Davidson and he had credit in the bank with a double win. Need to make the shape fit the players not the players fit the shape 

The defence did all that was required and looked fine to me. We had a lot of first picks missing today but looked quite solid. Brechin played well and gave us little time on the ball until 2.0 when we took control. Let’s see how it goes.

Premier sports coverage was first class and well worth the £9.99.