Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Have to suspect Cameron will be miles better than the players signed from within Scotland too. 

I've always felt we do best with a Scottish core but I don't think the Scottish players we have right now are really up to much. Hopefully some of the youth players are up to being that for us over time. 

11 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Kirks running running/jumping style seems very O'Halloran-esque.

Be interesting to see if similarities go further than how they look.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If he turns out like early years MOH then that'll be some pick up by Levein/Kirk. He certainly looked rapid and got himself into good positions yesterday

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's seemingly 6'2" as well so has a far bigger physical presence.

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

If he turns out like early years MOH then that'll be some pick up by Levein/Kirk. He certainly looked rapid and got himself into good positions yesterday

8 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

He's seemingly 6'2" as well so has a far bigger physical presence.

Aye like I'm not trying to get deep into judging him as yesterday wa really the first time I've seen him properly (from what I've been able to watch of him at Hamilton his movement is great, fwiw), it just struck me while watching the highlights how familiar it looked.

On 20/07/2024 at 13:08, Theyellowbox said:

Will enjoy watching a game in our own stadium. Enjoy Brechin. 

I will.

As an aside I’d be happy to do that every year for the group stages - play in nearby grounds of provincial/junior teams - Station Park, Glebe Park, Gayfield, McDiarmid Park etc.

Probably costs less to police these smaller grounds, attendances are generally on the low end for these shitty group stage games and it’s a nice novelty factor. Probably a complete non starter but I’m looking forward to it this year. 

Thank you

19 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Mental! MacPherson would have easily fitted into that Morton side and not looked out of place.

Essel was the best player on the park, although I'd prefer him in midfield over defence.

It might just be the case that my stream was unclear and I wasn't seeing so much of Essel's off-the ball work. I can't say that I saw too much from him on the ball in the first-half and I think the game passed him by to an extent. There were a couple of occasions when MacPherson played a simple pass to him and he was very slow off the mark to make any sort of movement towards it. However, he did have a few nice moments including a lovely ball to Keltjens in the build-up to our first goal, and I thought he looked very composed in defence.  I've definitely seen enough in his first couple of competitive appearances to feel hopeful about his potential. He's 18 years old, so I don't think it's at all a criticism to say that his full impact might not be an immediate one.

I'm not a fan of MacPherson at all, but I think he kept things ticking over (with a few errors of judgement mixed in) and showed that he would be a good Championship player. Essel's ceiling is of course far higher.

Having said all of this, I'd like to make it clear that my football opinions are never wrong. In future, I'd suggest that anyone who disagrees with me should change their opinion rather than publicly disagreeing with mine.

What was the gist of the Stevie Grieve thing? @derektaylor84

Believe he told the manager Bair wasn't the player he wanted for the type of role he wanted to fill but Davidson was only interested in his size.

Clearly in terms of actually identifying him, he's maybe played a blinder but, for me, Bair still has a lot to do to prove he's a player.

As an aside, another player I know Grieve pushed hard for was Australian attacker Trent Buhagiar, who has just signed for Brescia from Newcastle Jets.

He also pitched hard for Antony Evans - who has just signed for Huddersfield for £450,000 - a free agent at the time but Davidson was insistent he wanted Ali Crawford on loan instead.

Admittedly I don't know much about the Grieve situation. Did always have a slight suspicion the criticism of him was a bit too far and potentially missing two sides of the issue but as I say, I don't know too much about the situation. 

Looking back at the situation though I do think now what was the point in bringing in a recruitment guy whoever they are, especially one that heavily leans into data if you're going to ignore nearly everything they say and sign guys like Crawford, Conway, Considine, Murphy and co? You don't need a data type person to identify players like that 🤦‍♂️

seems just all a complete waste of everyone's time 🤦‍♂️

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Posted (edited)

Stevie Grieve - in my opinion - was the right fit for entirely the wrong manager. Tommy Wright, Steven Maclean and Craig Levein would've embraced having him at their disposal. Callum Davidson didn't, at all. Was far more interested in signing players to do favours for his pals. 

Grieve being thrown in with the likes of Davidson/Flax/Steve for the mess we're currently in is entirely unfair, mostly because when he did get one of his suggestions in, it was well down his list as his preferred options had moved elsewhere because of the pontification of the then manager. 

Edited by Kyle

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Believe he told the manager Bair wasn't the player he wanted for the type of role he wanted to fill but Davidson was only interested in his size.

That’s pretty much what he said. Grieve liked him as a transition runner played wider, with Kane/May/Hendry through the middle. He was a decent ball carrier and an above average finisher. 

Davidson wanted a big physical striker who could run the channels and Bair was recommended, but ended up being used as a target man.  Said other factors such as injuries/form of other players and a lack of analyst at Saints also played a part too. 

Nothing overly surprising. 

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Clearly in terms of actually identifying him, he's maybe played a blinder but, for me, Bair still has a lot to do to prove he's a player.

As an aside, another player I know Grieve pushed hard for was Australian attacker Trent Buhagiar, who has just signed for Brescia from Newcastle Jets.

He also pitched hard for Antony Evans - who has just signed for Huddersfield for £450,000 - a free agent at the time but Davidson was insistent he wanted Ali Crawford on loan instead.

As @PSJ.84 has said further up the thread. Identifying that type of player that would sell to top leagues. Said one on his list has just been sold to Legia Warsaw for £8m. I don’t know who that is. 
His first day at saints he played a 20 minute practice match and scored 3 and looked prime Drogba 😀 

Was always good in bounce matches wasn’t he.

www.youtube.com/@derektaylor84

14 minutes ago, derektaylor84 said:

Said one on his list has just been sold to Legia Warsaw for £8m.

Not that it’s related but did you have a look for this guy? I can’t seem to find it anywhere

16 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Not that it’s related but did you have a look for this guy? I can’t seem to find it anywhere

Haven’t looked for it to be honest.

2 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

You have signed Brian Cipenga

He signed for a Spanish club 2 weeks ago?