Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Almost as amusing as "the battle of champions", DeEagles or this?

20240724_093616.thumb.jpg.a1e9b46d9ab0315f204214864139591b.jpg

Almost.

It’s way more amusing tbh. I can live with shite PR - I couldn’t live with that team you have. 

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

I had hoped from MacPherson that the small flashes he showed when he first came in, would turn into something more, but it really hasn't.

As you say, it's not only ability, it is attitude. Prime example was right at the end if the game. Gives away a cheep foul while Alloa were taking the ball to the corner. Moans at ref (which kills time), then after free kick is taken, fouls again, moans at ref again (killing even more time), then hides.

This was so annoying last night. We were being schooled by Alloa on how to see a game out.

Their player would shield the ball, inviting contact. Inevitably, MacPherson would arrive and barge into his back, player goes down, ref gives a foul. Repeat.

They were so much more streetwise than us.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sprangler is too, really. I've been as bad as anyone for talking him up but it really is a case of the less he plays the better he is.

Someone compared him to Paul Paton and once you see that you just don't unsee it.

Sprangler started quite well when he first signed but do wonder now if that was him standing out in an extremely poor side but has really offered nothing in about 9+ months. He knows Levein doesn't fancy him and it's got into head a bit as well I reckon. 

His dive yesterday in midfield summed his recent performances up. 

He's not the only one though

----

I hope they're made to rewatch that 90 minutes today.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

7 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

It’s way more amusing tbh. I can live with shite PR - I couldn’t live with that team you have. 

:lol:

The irony is those teams mentioned were as shite as that but you already know this, you witnessed it.

Just now, tree house tam said:

:lol:

The irony is those teams mentioned were as shite as that but you already know this, you witnessed it.

I can’t really recall all the teams at that time off the top of my head - but the “battle of the champions” team were newly promoted and got top 6.

The Deeagles were a testimonial squad including a number of guests while any team that wins a league is worth celebrating. 

St Johnstone meanwhile would likely bite your hand off for 10th place right now - possibly even 11th and the chance of a playoff….

1 minute ago, Der Panzer said:

I can’t really recall all the teams at that time off the top of my head - but the “battle of the champions” team were newly promoted and got top 6.

The Deeagles were a testimonial squad including a number of guests while any team that wins a league is worth celebrating. 

St Johnstone meanwhile would likely bite your hand off for 10th place right now - possibly even 11th and the chance of a playoff….

Well by that same logic, then in the last 10 years we've won 3 national cups and played in Europe multiple times, all whilst Dundee were in the lower divisions with a shite squad too. Not really sure what your argument is here? We know we're shite right now, but Dundee being better than us really wouldn't be difficult and certainly isn't worth the constant "attempts" at winding us up, cause it wont work. :D 

I find it amusing when diddy clubs try to flex that they’re better than us right now. Most teams in this league are easily catchable with a couple of half-decent signings and competent management. My main source of upset is the fact that we’ve been set back a number of years in terms of competing amongst the top four again.

28 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Sprangler started quite well when he first signed but do wonder now if that was him standing out in an extremely poor side but has really offered nothing in about 9+ months. He knows Levein doesn't fancy him and it's got into head a bit as well I reckon. l

His dive yesterday in midfield summed his recent performances up. 

Recent performances?

Last night was his first appearance in over four months and his injury at Celtic Park was a big blow to the team at the time as he’d just came off the back of a couple of very good performances after getting back into the starting line up.

8 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Recent performances?

Last night was his first appearance in over four months and his injury at Celtic Park was a big blow to the team at the time as he’d just came off the back of a couple of very good performances after getting back into the starting line up.

Sprangler should be one of the first names on the team sheet. 

Just now, DunkeldRoad01 said:

Sprangler should be one of the first names on the team sheet. 

Agreed, and this weird insistence of playing every midfielder out of position has to stop.  Sprangler is best playing deep, Essel too.  MacPherson should be more advanced and Matt Smith should always be central, never wide.

3 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Agreed, and this weird insistence of playing every midfielder out of position has to stop.  Sprangler is best playing deep, Essel too.  MacPherson should be more advanced and Matt Smith should always be central, never wide.

Absolutely agree, Matt Smith has struggled because he’s been played right mid for the last 6 months. Get him and Sprangler into the centre of the park and they compliment each other quite well which we seen when Clelland partnered them together for his game in charge. 

10 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Levein calling out David Keltjens and Taylor Steven in his post-match interview. Not the most worthy candidates to throw under the bus imo.

I would need to see it again maybe but if anything at the time I thought it was Stevens ball to have and Adama gets in his way.

It's unreal we've managed to unshackle ourselves from 18 players and we're probably in the position again where you could confidently say 10 could leave and there would either be no impact or a positive impact in the squad. 

Our squad management/recruitment over the last few years has been a complete joke. The fact we're even still in the Premiership is a minor miracle. 

2 hours ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Essel- from where I was standing I couldn’t see what the sending off was for. Having seen the video I’m still not sure it’s a red.

1 hour ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Having seen it back and where the video isn't clear I think Essels maybe been stitched up a bit by experienced lads at Alloa. The guy on the floor pulls at his leg and the doesn't even react when stamped as if he knows it's an accident, it's only when the second lads comes in. That said, could equally have done it. 

I mean, he chose to to put his leg back behind him rather than in a natural forward position. As shite a ref as Stewart is he's got that decision spot on. Sheer stupidity from your man. 

Cannot understand why we did not start with Wright and Carey and try to kill the game in the first half then introduce the younger players in the second half. To that was absolutely stupid. If they could not play then why were they on the bench?

We needed to win first then experiment if he needed to judge how they coped. Unless we somehow qualify this was a very expensive mistake.

2 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Sprangler started quite well when he first signed but do wonder now if that was him standing out in an extremely poor side but has really offered nothing in about 9+ months.

This remains our overarching issue, I think. We have so many players who don't actually do anything.

Sprangler was signed to just be a water carrier so i guess he gets a bit of a pass for that, but Matt Smith was signed to be a difference maker and just does nothing worthy of that.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dan Phillips apparently scored for Stevenage last night 😂

Of course he did :lol: