Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Take aways for me

when we have all of our best  players on the pitch in their best positions, we look fine. When we tinker and make bizarre positional changes for no reason, we struggle. 

Decent amount of goals for the strikers in the group section. Hopefully they can carry that into the league campaign. 

It's blindingly obvious we need a better goalkeeper. 

Well job done, into the knockouts which is what was required. Nice to see us getting a few goals as well and our forward options look decent if we can create chances for them.

But every other area of the park still needs strengthened. Hopefully we can make a bit of cash from qualifying to put towards that. 

Aberdeen, Celtic, rangers, hearts, Kilmarnock, Ross County, Dundee and st Mirren the seeded teams.
County at home the preference??

Great performance for 25 minutes, then Levein randomly swapped Wright and Carey, presumably to get Carey on the ball more despite Wright causing chaos, and it started falling flat. 3rd goal an absolute gift and that was the game done. 

Positives are the strikers are clearly quality and need to both be on the park as much as possible. Wright looks back to his best and also took charge of things, a leader rising?

Downsides is we can't start that midfield in the top flight, East Fife played us through us pretty easily and there was huge gaps they couldn't see that better players will. The gameplan after taking Wright out the game of spending 65 minutes chipping chipping balls into the channels was worrying considering the opposition, as he'll clearly go that way against better sides. Keltjens was poor and Raymond got injured, so improving full back quality is probably rising to a need again. The subs were again random and the shape just completely vanished after he'd done them, yet they probably aren't a lot different to what he'd make in league games.

A win and qualification is all that was needed though, I guess, but it can't lead to complacency or anything near it.

Hopefully we’ve got a closed-door game lined up against better opposition in midweek. Not sure I like the idea of getting thrust straight into a league match against Aberdeen following that group stage.

So despite all that, we’d have actually gone through as a best placed second team. As others have said there are clearly issues to be addressed, why we switched Wright and Carey is beyond me. Also Rae showed that while at he’s still learning and will make mistakes, the first two goals essentially come from his excellent long balls. That front two need to play against Aberdeen and we clearly need another midfielder and probably defender. 

Thought Kirk’s cameo was promising and Taylor Steven got stuck in despite not having much time which was good. Once again Max didn’t do anything and we still look aimless when we go long, whereas when it’s finally on the deck in the final third we can play a bit. 

I thought that second half was deeply concerning for the first 40 minutes or so. We were good first half and clearly have attacking options now - albeit with an obvious hole in the centre of the park.

Levein made a conscious choice to play all four of his midfielders out of position after the break and exacerbated it after MacPherson went off. Wright on the left. Carey on the right side of the centre of midfield with Smith to his left. Wee Max on the right wing. You might almost get away with one of those if the rest of the midfield is balanced, but all four? We lost control of it and barely created anything until the last few minutes. That’s entirely on the manager and why he left it like that for so long is beyond me. What were we trying to achieve? We deliberately nullified our best attacking outlets. Crazy.

Observations from today:

1. Josh Rae's distributions for the goals were excellent.

However, if he is going to shout throughout the game telling his team mates what to do, he then has to do his own job rather than gift goals. Need experienced goalkeeper signed.

2. McPherson off injured, as is the norm despite being gifted a new contract, yet Sprangler remains on the bench, in favour of Max - feel for Sprangler being on a bench with Max and Connor Smith, knowing Levein's two favourite grandkids will be picked ahead of him.

3. Drey Wright showing he is a leader and importance of keeping him fit and the need to play him in the right position - Levein just can't help himself bur to tinker with Wright being moved out of position when it was working.

4. Levein should not be coming out after that game thinking everything is ok. This team and squad is miles off, particularly midfield, ahead of opening game against Aberdeen. Very limited depth on bench - not good enough. 

5. Need to play two strikers every week. Strongest area with Kimpioka and Sidibih and need to defend from the front given how poor we are from midfield back the way.

6. Hope Raymond's injury is nothing serious as shows the lack of cover we have were Raymond or Keltjens to be injured.

Guessing Webb will release more money for player budget now we have scrambled into last 16 of cup - unfortunately it will be handed to Levein to chuck down the drain with further dross, unless Webb sacks him.

Five goals all from our strikers, when did that last happen.

Pleased for Kirk to get a goal and it was a confident finish which will do his confidence a lot of good. He will be a great option to bring on for the last 15 minutes looking for a goal. He seems big and strong.

26 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Five goals all from our strikers, when did that last happen.

Pleased for Kirk to get a goal and it was a confident finish which will do his confidence a lot of good. He will be a great option to bring on for the last 15 minutes looking for a goal. He seems big and strong.

Agree, I like the look of him. Pacey and direct. Against lower league opposition right enough, so need to see how he fares against premiership defenders.

He doesn't know how to use his body yet so he'll get chucked about in the top flight I think, but coming on against tiring sides should help him show his value I think. 

20 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Aye took me aback when they said that last week. 

I appreciate the effort to make it better.

It's £4.90 for at best average pint of T. There might well be improvements to it ongoing I'm no aware of as well.

I'd also prefer to give Saint the money as well but... I'm also not a fool 😂

I did notice today that Levein was at the front of the technical area giving out instructions most of time with Kirk sitting on the bench for the most of the game which was the opposite to the last home game against Morton. 

Does Levein take charge in the must win matches and let Kirk take control in certain matches.? 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84