Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Yeah our strikers are built for games against the Old Firm, to me. Both will run channels, both will hold if up 1v1, both will beat men 1v1, both can take the few chances they'll get.

Just need the other 9 to give them a chance to win us the tie.

2 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

https://bettermeddle.org.uk/archive/match.php?season=1992&id=208&type=3

Yep. Amazing. My SJ supporting brother was up the back of the East Stand, and I could see him celebrating, then... not 🤭

Fair play. Was convinced Scott Sloan (?) scored against us in that game but appears he wasn’t even playing.   Some well kent faces in that Falkirk team. 

4 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Fair play. Was convinced Scott Sloan (?) scored against us in that game but appears he wasn’t even playing.   Some well kent faces in that Falkirk team. 

Loved that side. Scott Sloan came in a couple of months after that and stayed for a couple of years. Good player, but never scored enough.

4 hours ago, Costanza said:

Should be sat here revelling in a fantastic result, regardless of footballing circumstance. Instead feel conflicted due to that wee c**t starting. Cheers for that Saints. 

This is where I am. Delighted we have a 3-0 win and good performances over the park, but (and there really shouldn't be a but..), MacPherson should be nowhere near the squad and I'm not buying the faux remorse from him. On the pitch, he isn't good enough and off the pitch, is a very very lucky boy he is still at the club.

Though Smith again showed what he is capable of. Up front, I think if we keep both strikers at the club and fit, they will carry on in the form they have started the season.  Both off so much more than just pace and offer different things from each other. Will run teams ragged all season.

Noteworthy that Benji has equalled Clark's top scoring total from last season already.....

As much as the manager and Kirk have taken abuse on here.

It’s genuinely pleasing to see the development and improvement of players within the squad, it’s not been since TW times that I’ve felt a player has actually improved at Saints. Both Kimpioka and Sidibeh have obviously improved their hold up and link up play, whilst Matt Smith also has improved ten fold. 

Look forward to the impact they can have on the other new players.

If we could get a starting midfielder and another CB in to replace McClelland and possibly a more experienced keeper, although as others have said Rae is looking better than the league cup games, then we'll be fine. Still hope the get McPherson to f**k.

Can't understand why Benj is allowed to play without shinguards though.

It would be my hope that a relatively positive start to the season, is used as a reason to further add quality to the squad rather than going the opposite way.

Additions of Neilson and Raymond most recently have definitely helped the balance of the squad. Neilson looks good in that RCB role and Sanders defo looks more comfortable central of the 3.

Wright has been poor for me, so it would be nice if we had some attacking wide quality but CM and CB probably the priorities at the moment.

14 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Can't understand why Benj is allowed to play without shinguards though.

He does have them - one fell out in the lead up to a corner in the second half - but they’re like toddler’s shin pads. 

17 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

This has to be the quickest a St Johnstone strike force has ever made it into double figures?

Certainly in the McDiarmid era. I'd imagine in the Brogan era it might have happened. Particularly in the season Brogie scored 5 in the League Cup v Falkirk (he also hit a hat-trick v Raith in that League Cup group).

Maclean and May got 37 between them in 13/14 but struggling beyond that. Jackson and Deuchar in the championship probably the only other recent time I can think of when more than one striker got to double figures. 

ETA - May and Maclean took 14 games to get to 11 although only one of those games came against a lower division side and that was Hamilton in the championship. 4 of the games were in European competition 

Edited by nelsjfc

1 minute ago, steviemay17 said:

for some reason thought Kimpioka was signed for 2 and a half years but it was only an 18 month deal, if he keeps this up Peterborough might offer us £150k in January ! Not all up front through of course

Yeah, we should be trying to extend him right now.