Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Yes all covered already; Rae not reliable. You realise how spoilt we’ve been goalkeeper wise,  albeit with occasional blips, for the past 12+ years.

Centre midfield dreadful. Nielson is a defender, could maybe get away with playing him in a midfield 3 but we never once got control of that match against very ordinary opposition.

All we offered is hopeful balls down the channels, it’s just hoping for a break from second balls and very basic.

New goalkeeper and two centre mids for me if we’re restricted to what we can bring in. The defence I can live with.  Cover at left back as the next option. 

6 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

If var are saying he’s missed a red card offence,why did the ref not go to the monitor to check?

He's already off the pitch. If they then see the punch there's no need to stop the game, red card can be confirmed later. Sidibeh was stupid. 

I agree with most of what's been said previously re midfield. Unfortunately we've severely limited our budget/options by extending McPherson (not good enough) and Sprangler (clearly not fancied by the manager).

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Your goalkeeper will see you relegated. He's probably worse than Hibs' and that's saying something.

Last season we stayed up despite struggling to score because our keeper was ridiculously good.

This season we’ll score far more goals (especially if we can get the centre of midfield sorted this week) but we’re going to chuck loads in if we don’t upgrade the keeper. That game at worst finishes 0-0 if it isn’t for Rae.

Aye, you can get away with bad players but it feels hard to get away with a bad keeper, although Clark was a nightmare for a while and we didn't get relegated.

Big week ahead and I can't see us getting everything we need.

The manager set us up with two defenders playing centre mid, a centre mid playing right mid and a right mid playing right back. Then didn’t make the changes that were obviously needed to try and get more control in the midfield. Just throwing on another striker when we go behind isn’t the answer. Probably still get a draw if we had a decent keeper but the manager signed him and started the season with him as first choice so feel like that defeat against a team that didn’t look great was totally on him. 

Did anyone watch the goalie’s warming up? It was half arsed at best. Looked like Ross was trying to take charge but that meant he was getting little to no warm up at all. Surely there was someone the club could have used ,even for a game or two , to get the goalies a decent warm up. This doesn’t excuse Rae’s performance as even during the warm up his handling was suspect. 

I know Essen has only been gone a week or so but can’t believe a top league club goes to a game without a goalie coach. 

22 minutes ago, DunkeldRoad01 said:

Then didn’t make the changes that were obviously needed to try and get more control in the midfield. Just throwing on another striker when we go behind isn’t the answer. 

think the idea of the Clark sub was to get 3 players properly in the middle again (can't remember if we'd switched to 5-3-2 before the sub) as United had done that and taken control.

Almost meant a front 3 in possession in the hope Sidibeh/Kimpioka could play wider and isolate themselves v a defender, but we'd still have 2 attacking the box, and 5-3-2 out of it, to combat Uniteds shape.

Problem was the deep midfielders were Smith and Carey, and Clark clearly isn't much use in that AM position. I don't understand Leveins fascination with trying him there at all.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Clark clearly isn't much use in that AM position. I don't understand Leveins fascination with trying him there at all

It’s utterly baffling. Could sort of understand it the first couple of times but we’re practically six months down the road with it, and it still isn’t working. 

7 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

It’s utterly baffling. Could sort of understand it the first couple of times but we’re practically six months down the road with it, and it still isn’t working. 

United actually tried to play him in that role a few times as well and he was never much good.  When he played up front his goal scoring record was really good.  I was pissed off when Utd let him go as he’s always good for a goal from the bench (if played up front).

1 hour ago, The Marly said:

He's already off the pitch. If they then see the punch there's no need to stop the game, red card can be confirmed later. Sidibeh was stupid. 

I agree with most of what's been said previously re midfield. Unfortunately we've severely limited our budget/options by extending McPherson (not good enough) and Sprangler (clearly not fancied by the manager).

I agree there’s no need to show the red card, but surely the referee has to go to the monitor to make the decision?

Essentially it’s the VAR that has decided it’s a red card without an onfield review.

11 minutes ago, DavidReid01 said:

I agree there’s no need to show the red card, but surely the referee has to go to the monitor to make the decision?

Essentially it’s the VAR that has decided it’s a red card without an onfield review.

Screenshot_20240825_091042_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8cb05354e50006c745c6aa245d2f3fa4.jpg

In cases of violent conduct, missed by the on field officials, the ref gets given the choice of either listening to how Iraq described, or viewing the monitor.

Tbh you can understand why he didn't bother reviewing the punch, as it was clear Sidibeh done something serious by the reaction of everyone.

It’s bordering on the late Davidson era where he appeared to run out of ideas so just threw on loads of attacking players without much thought to a structure when we were losing late in a game.

I could understand the thinking of introducing Clark, as the ball over the top wasn’t working and we couldn’t get much to stick with the strikers, and Clark is usually decent with his back to goal. But it needed to be high up the pitch in place of Sidibeh.

It was naive from Adama, Utd’s playacting and goading got a reaction from him. He’ll get his suspension and hopefully learn from it. 

One step forwards and two steps back. A game that was there for the taking and we've been architects of our own downfall.

Didn't give United a sniff the first half and have to go in ahead then start the second half with the boost you'd expect shooting towards your own support.

Goalkeeper is weak and we are behind from their first serious effort on goal. Goodwin is brave in that he sticks by decision to bring second forward on and I don't actually mind our change of shape of at that point, both in terms of the three to combat Moult and van der Sande but also to try and get more midfield control, that we'd been lacking throughout despite being the more likely side.

But we were poor after the goal and changes of shape and Levein, as was a problem last season, just wasn't reacting. MacPherson was an obvious sub, he was decent at Hampden last week. Then, as mentioned, the only change he seems capable of right now is chucking strikers on.

Rae hadn't looked comfortable at the long throws all day and he's now got a target on his back for as long as he's between the sticks. But the bullseye on his shirt will be nothing compared to our star striker, who will be niggled for 90 minutes and have every centre back rolling about on the floor clutching their faces.

A happy, go lucky lad to this, I hope Willie McKay is very proud of himself.

What order would folk prioritise signings, in terms of budget?

For me I think...

GK

CM

W

CB

FB