Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

34 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

In fairness with Levein, he's explained this point a number of times. 

He had a heart attack a few years ago so he makes a deliberate effort to remain calm on the touchline... so he doesn't have another one!

I get the health issue, but AK similarly shows little passion, encouragement on the touchline. 

The lack of planning for the inevitable necessity of new goalkeeper and goalkeeping coach and the dinosaur tactics of freezing out players can't be argued as being down to CL's health issues....

As a collective of the issues I raised, IMO Webb needs to keep a close eye on the situation and act accordingly.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If anything i think its not being a dinosaur of a manager thats caused the issue on Saturday.

Theres a big thing down South just now with folk slagging their managers in the lower leagues for trying to copy Man City/Arsenal playing a 3-2-5 shape in possession. And watching the game back its like he genuinely tried that, but with Clark as one of the two. We'd regularly see MacPherson on the ball and this shape...

Sinclair

Neilson - Sanders - Cameron

MacPherson

Wright - Essel - Clark - Smith - Raymond

Kimpioka

With Essel and Smith going really wide.

It works when you've elite players who have moves drilled into them until its second nature. When you're asking a ragtag bunch of rejects to play it, when the midfielders struggle with the basics, its a bit daft. Led to us just congesting the final third on the ball, and being wide open to counters.

I know its a bit "yer da" and "why Scottish football is shit", but with a struggling side filled with new players and trying to build some confidence, it really does feel like you just go back to the absolute basics surely?

Sinclair

Keltjens - Neilson - Cameron - Raymond

Wright - Holt - Sprangler - Smith - Carey 

Kimpioka

Isn't ideal as some players aren't great or who you'd want playing where they are, but let wingers and full backs combine, let Kimpioka get some support out wide at pace. Let Sprangler just sit and fight while Holt/Smith buzz around harassing folk. I'm still a bit annoyed Steven never got a real chance because his aggression/directness out wide to commit folk could've been huge, and now we don't have that type of wide man.

It feels like we're back to the start of Leveins reign where hes just overthinking it. For someone who "gets what Saints fans want now" a few weeks ago, he seems to have forgotten pretty quickly.

Can't disagree with any of this @RandomGuy. from saturday's game with the addition of CL's ego causing these issues.

Feels like it is going to be a season of one step forward followed by four steps back - i.e Kilmarnock followed by Utd and Motherwell. Next two games crucial ahead of OF.

I just want to see saints playing a basic shape with all of our best players on the pitch and, if possible, all playing their strongest positions. 

I don't really care for football speak - transitions, low blocks and all that pish - with players at this level they'll, if they're good enough, they'll do best in their strongest position with simple instructions. Tommy Wright was the master at that. 

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

I just want to see saints playing a basic shape with all of our best players on the pitch and, if possible, all playing their strongest positions. 

I don't really care for football speak - transitions, low blocks and all that pish - with players at this level they'll, if they're good enough, they'll do best in their strongest position with simple instructions. Tommy Wright was the master at that. 

This is problem. 

We've got a coach who is definitely a believer in all that. 

Watches the Premier League and tries to implement the things he sees in our team. 

I'm astonished Levein entertains any of this nonsense. Central midfielders swapping with the wide men etc. In reality we just needed Wright on the wing and Essels in the in the middle of the park. It just made things worse. 

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It feels like we're back to the start of Leveins reign where hes just overthinking it. For someone who "gets what Saints fans want now" a few weeks ago, he seems to have forgotten pretty quickly.

Fans were fooled into thinking we had improved because we beat a poor Kilmarnock side, coming off a tough European game, and playing a decent amount of time with only 10 men. Apart from that we have been distinctly average. Only played for 10-15 minutes in both home league games. Woeful against an equally poor Dundee Utd and failed to take initiative or get on the front foot against Rangers. 

Even this early in the season I’m speaking to fans who think the only thing that will save us is the state of other teams which is similar to Livvy last season. I never wanted Levein(I’m sure I’ve mentioned that before) and am not a fan of continually sacking managers but if we don’t get at least 4 points from our next 2 games then I feel that’s the only solution. Hopefully, if this does happen, we actually make an effort to get the right appointment and don’t just make lazy decisions like the last 2

12 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Few things...

There was a comment about no mention of head of football operations in the board announcement. That isn't a board role so there would be no reason for it to be mentioned.

The announcement of the board changes was likely one required to comply with company's act legislation although I'm just presuming that. You're likely obligated to make public announcements of board changes though. Formal documentation relating to it will likely appear on the companies house website soon too. 

I'll be shocked if Roddy picks up the responsibility of what a GM usually does as they're often responsible for revenue and budget management etc... no offense to Roddy but I don't imagine numbers are one of his strong points. I could be wrong though 🤷‍♂️ it's quite an American thing as well a GM? 

I suppose maybe the board announcement wasn't the place for it, but I do think the club could have clarified the structure a bit more.

I'm just surprised, given the role of a head of football operations, not to hear a peep through the busiest and most visible time for that role. Maybe there is other factors that mean that's the case and the club cannot and should not say.

Maybe we all had too high expectations of the changes and speed of them from the new owner, but was encouraged by the talk of car parks and scoreboards etc, but feels like not much has really changed visibly. 

25 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I for one expect a great car park from the football club I support.

Less bothered about the specific things as such, just would like to see some signs of things actually happening off the pitch as been underwhelmed on it. Bar the changes at board level, there is no difference to what would have been had the new owner not come in. 

I know these things take time and it has only been a few weeks/months, so not expecting loads to have changed, but equally, I don't see that 'anything' has changed.  

You wonder how you fit him and Cameron in though.

Both will want to be first choice, both very left sided, both best left of a back 3.

Not sure either is dominant enough to play as the middle CB, and neither can play on the right.

Maybe one of them LB of a 4 with Raymond as a winger?

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You wonder how you fit him and Cameron in though.

Both will want to be first choice, both very left sided, both best left of a back 3.

Not sure either is dominant enough to play as the middle CB, and neither can play on the right.

Maybe one of them LB of a 4 with Raymond as a winger?

More players out of position. f**k it. Let’s do it.