Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Dunne will do a decent job: he's a good guy, popular in the squad, and very quick. Prone to errors, but then so are the two guys that we have replaced him with (as seen at the weekend.)

I was surprised to see him in those 'selection' games as he could absolutely do a job for most clubs of our level, and would waltz a Championship gig.

@RandomGuy. there was always chat that he had the potential to fill in at LB, though we never played a back four while he was with us. I'm not sure I'd want to see him playing there for us now tbh.

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Dunne will do a decent job: he's a good guy, popular in the squad, and very quick. Prone to errors, but then so are the two guys that we have replaced him with (as seen at the weekend.)

I was surprised to see him in those 'selection' games as he could absolutely do a job for most clubs of our level, and would waltz a Championship gig.

@RandomGuy. there was always chat that he had the potential to fill in at LB, though we never played a back four while he was with us. I'm not sure I'd want to see him playing there for us now tbh.

Does he mark players at set pieces and compete for the ball when it comes in? 

I'm sold already if he does after Saturday 😤

2 hours ago, DavidReid01 said:

More players out of position. f**k it. Let’s do it.

Back 3 with Cameron/Dunne probably guarantees Neilson starts too?

Imagine we'll see Carey as the holding midfielder v Hibs too.

A simpler solution is to send Levein off to the nut house and tell Cleland he’s got a couple of weeks with them whilst we find someone else. 

I have to say, I wouldn't exactly be filled with confidence if I was a St Johnstone fan and we were signing Dunne.

He did ok for us but he didn't start so many games for us last season and was constantly getting caught in possession when he did play. His out was always his pace. More often than not, he could dig himself out of a hole with his pace to recover.

But, he's 31 now and hasn't played in quite a while. Not sure what he's been up to the last few months that he's been looking for a club, but if his pace goes, then you lot could be in a spot of bother.

Good character to have in the dressing room by all accounts though.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

28 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I have to say, I wouldn't exactly be filled with confidence if I was a St Johnstone fan and we were signing Dunne.

He did ok for us but he didn't start so many games for us last season and was constantly getting caught in possession when he did play. His out was always his pace. More often than not, he could dig himself out of a hole with his pace to recover.

But, he's 31 now and hasn't played in quite a while. Not sure what he's been up to the last few months that he's been looking for a club, but if his pace goes, then you lot could be in a spot of bother.

Good character to have in the dressing room by all accounts though.

It's pretty clear we're desperate now. Both him and Holt have been available for months and we've not bothered about either until now.

Think Leveins hoping experience can dig him out a hole that he can't get us out tactically.

I think it's the painful lack of ability in the squad that's the biggest barrier to success for us, along with us playing loads of players out of position and in complicated shapes that would bamboozle the best of us. 

16 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think it's the painful lack of ability in the squad that's the biggest barrier to success for us, along with us playing loads of players out of position and in complicated shapes that would bamboozle the best of us. 

Correct. It's OK having fancy tactics when you're Manchester f**king City, but Levein needs to stop over complicating things. The one tactical change he should have made on Saturday, he didn't (Changing the marking at corners).

We’re still a new team and figuring out the best line up and tactics to adopt.

Theres definitely big issues to address, but I think there’s some positive signs in there.

We have also got rid of a lot of last year’s squad that were taking a wage without contributing much.

Without three or four howling individual errors in the past two matches we’d have come away with draws, which would be about par for us where we’re currently at.

I see no benefit in continuing a cycle of sacking managers and starting again. Barring disaster, Levein needs to be given time this season to get this team performing.

There’s going to be a lot more bumps along the road.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's pretty clear we're desperate now. Both him and Holt have been available for months and we've not bothered about either until now.

Think Leveins hoping experience can dig him out a hole that he can't get us out tactically.

Holt saying it’s been on the go for a while , but  just done on deadline day, the photos were taken before the announcement 

53 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Holt saying it’s been on the go for a while , but  just done on deadline day, the photos were taken before the announcement 

Holding off so that wages start from September so saving a months wages

10 minutes ago, DavidReid01 said:

Make it happen Cregg. We might go down but we’re going down with a team of exotic ballers.

Tbf I don't think he could play for us for 2 years.