Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Muirton Saint said:

Kyle Cameron replacement?

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Folk on wap talking about him potentially playing at left back. 

No, just no. 

I don't want to jump to conclusions and start making folk think he's not what he is, but my incredibly weak research so far suggests he's more of a bump lump CB.

So think he'd be a Sanders replacement in a back 3 and forcing Cameron to LB if we played a back 4.

Then again it's not weird to play 2 right footers at CB in a 4 so it shouldn't be weird to play 2 left footers.

Why don't we just play Raymond at left back instead of central defenders out of position there? 

Struggling to see what benefit we'd get from having 3 central defenders in a back 4. You'd potentially have a right back who'd offer very little in possession as well 🤷‍♂️

Especially if he wants to play out. 

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Why don't we just play Raymond at left back instead of central defenders out of position there? 

Struggling to see what benefit we'd get from having 3 central defenders in a back 4. You'd potentially have a right back who'd offer very little in possession as well 🤷‍♂️

Especially if he wants to play out. 

I might be misremembering but didn't the Notts County fans feel that LB was Cameron's best position?

2 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Completely unrelated but Phillips missus is an absolute goddess.

I concur. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'll forever be convinced Phillips was used wrong. He shouldn't have been the deepest CM and needed to play much higher up hassling opponents like McCann did.

Not really adding to the discussion but I’m sure Macca saw this also.

2 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

I might be misremembering but didn't the Notts County fans feel that LB was Cameron's best position?

He's barely played there in his career. Less than 10% of games that's for sure and was probably as cover rather than a preferred solution. 

Everything we've seen of him suggests he'd be a very orthodox left back and fairly limited in possession in that attacking half. He'd likely struggle in wide areas defensively as well as he's quite slow. 

It would just end up being more unnecessary stuff like Cameron tucking in and making it a back 3 when Drey Wright goes forward on the other side. 

I think we should just play people where they're comfortable.

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

He's barely played there in his career. Less than 10% of games that's for sure and was probably as cover rather than a preferred solution. 

Everything we've seen of him suggests he'd be a very orthodox left back and fairly limited in possession in that attacking half. He'd likely struggle in wide areas defensively as well as he's quite slow. 

It would just end up being more unnecessary stuff like Cameron tucking in and making it a back 3 when Drey Wright goes forward on the other side. 

I think we should just play people where they're comfortable.

Fair enough. Cameron can GTF as far as I'm concerned.

14 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Why don't we just play Raymond at left back instead

I feel like hes going to need a lot of rest before the end of season tbh, needs time to get up to this level stamina wise.

Playing big huddys at full back seems to be the ‘in’ thing these days.

on Phillips, getting anything over a fiver for anyone that’s played for us in the past couple of seasons is more than satisfactory. 

Obviously with the disclaimer all highlight reels come with, but looks less like a "lump" centre-half here. Looks pretty comfortable on the ball. Given our current predicament I'd have been happy if it was 10 minutes of him sending centre forwards into orbit. 

23 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Obviously with the disclaimer all highlight reels come with, but looks less like a "lump" centre-half here. Looks pretty comfortable on the ball. Given our current predicament I'd have been happy if it was 10 minutes of him sending centre forwards into orbit. 

Wanted to see him dominate in his box, that’s what’s lacking in our team,looks decent on the ball,but we needs monster cb defender right now 

8 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

Positive video but the level looks borderline amateur.

Hopefully he can step up.

Looks like he showed enough for Sampdoria to take a punt on him as a young player, not the worst start even if he didn't see it through.