Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, Widge said:

Quite, such is the success that saints have had recently that at the first sign of real trouble or threat of anything other than top flight Football the fans have panicked and started blaming everyone left right and centre.

I’m not suggesting Kyle and the likes have done that, but there definitely are others out there. Nows the time to actually get behind the team and try and show them a bit of passion and fight exists amongst the fans, which they should replicate on the pitch. Everyone is culpable in this, a support base should “support” during the bad times and the good. I think we’ve all just got used to expecting a certain standard that we’ve forgotten how to scrap properly.

f**k sake all I did was post that we've picked up 15 points from our last 19 league games, and that we'd but cut adrift if we hadn't had an exceptional start to the season. :lol:

I agree that the support needs to get behind the team, but it's not easy when the players aren't giving anything back in return. The 1-0 defeat at Tynecastle is the exception, but the other games I've seen recently and for most of this season, the second we fall behind you just know the team aren't getting anything from the game.

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Looks to me that the players have given in, seeing as they're downing tools as soon as we fall behind.

I didn't think they gave up till after the second on Saturday. You can see they are nervous just now, not taking any risks and are afraid to try the unexpected. This along with the individual mistakes is what's killing us just now. We just need to try and get through it. I think one win could change the whole team.

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I've not said anything in the post above that isn't fact. We have picked up 15 points in our last 19 league games. Replicate that over a season and it's 30 points we'd get which is almost certain relegation.

Looks to me that the players have given in, seeing as they're downing tools as soon as we fall behind.

If we do indeed pick up only 4 more points from 14 games we likely will get relegated and deservedly so.

Any prolonged period where you are averaging less than a point per game is cause for concern but your second paragraph is very much straying away from fact. Confidence is low at the moment but we are still starting games well and who knows, maybe a first goal could be all they need to kick them on again? Things aren't going our way and we could get relegated but let's not hold a three-month wake in anticipation.

I wasn’t there on Saturday but giving up after 54 minutes in a knock out competition isn’t a great look. I agree individual errors are costing us, but we’re on another run of defeats and in that time we’ve scored 1 goal in 4 games against premiership opposition. 

People can attempt to paint me as doom merchant all they like but I’m just being realistic. Our form, lack of goals, lack of fight, poor defence/bad (and continual) individual mistakes costing us goals at the other end plus momentum from the teams below us suggest that we’re in trouble. 

I’d never write this team or manager off but it’s difficult to share others optimism when I’ve seen about 4 decent performances all season.  

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

If we do indeed pick up only 4 more points from 14 games we likely will get relegated and deservedly so.

Any prolonged period where you are averaging less than a point per game is cause for concern but your second paragraph is very much straying away from fact. Confidence is low at the moment but we are still starting games well and who knows, maybe a first goal could be all they need to kick them on again? Things aren't going our way and we could get relegated but let's not hold a three-month wake in anticipation.

I’m only saying what I see. We had - what - one headed effort that flew harmlessly over the bar after falling behind against Motherwell. I think we both missed that though as we’d both left by that stage so I’m just going by the extended highlights released by Motherwell  

Saturday past the highlights didn’t exactly suggest that we had any sustained pressure against hearts either. 

I’m in no way giving up but I’d defy anyone who tells me that there’s much to be positive about right now. We’ve got a couple of attacking players with good pedigree and an experience defence who should really be doing better than they are. The tools are there for us to get out of it, but we are currently in trouble. 

I'm curious about this rethoric that this is the first "poor spell" under TW and anyone who reckons we're doomed is a shitebag. We've been through plenty of winless/goalless runs and kept the faith, this run feels utterly different to those though. 

I think we're doomed, as, it seems, we're at the stage where the squad and manager have lost confidence in each other. 

If you want a positive, we have one of the best players in Ireland and a Welsh international to come into the side. That's not to say they'll save our season but it at least provides hope. I think most acknowledged we needed new faces in January but we've been unfortunate to not have two of them available.

I mentioned it the other day but Saints and Motherwell both brought in new strikers. Their guy has hit the ground running, ours got laid out 20 mins into his debut. The luck argument is a lame one but we've not exactly been spoiled by it this season.

36 minutes ago, Radford said:

If you want a positive, we have one of the best players in Ireland and a Welsh international to come into the side. That's not to say they'll save our season but it at least provides hope. I think most acknowledged we needed new faces in January but we've been unfortunate to not have two of them available.

I mentioned it the other day but Saints and Motherwell both brought in new strikers. Their guy has hit the ground running, ours got laid out 20 mins into his debut. The luck argument is a lame one but we've not exactly been spoiled by it this season.

Positivity's obviously good but if you want to be realistic, how many players have we've signed from Ireland that have really worked and this one needs to start making a big difference immediately. As does our Welsh International but he's played how many games in the last year or even this season? Obviously I hope they make the required difference but time may be against both of them unfortunately. 

Yes we were unlucky with McMillan's injury but when you're given the bare minimum that's the risk you run. 

20 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did the physio before Tompos mot misdiagnose an injury or two?

There was a few rumours about Scott Williams giving the wrong treatment to Chris Millar but nothing was substantiated..I know for a fact that he was under a lot of pressure as TW wanted players back ASAP...He eventually had enough and resigned..He had previously been physio for the Manchester City youth team and also worked for Derby County before moving up here so he knows what he's doing

We clearly need a spark and Mcmillan showed he can be that in his brief showing against Thistle.

I'm not resigned to relegation or playoff yet but it's desperately unfortunate that McMillan is out. Is there a timescale for his return yet?

There is only room for one Saints ( The Real Ones) in the Premier
Enjoy United :thumsup2

On second thoughts, getting relegated might be a blessing to avoid the Smurn numpties polluting threads. It’s been nice without then.

On second thoughts, getting relegated might be a blessing to avoid the Smurn numpties polluting threads. It’s been nice without then.

I’ll never understand their strange obsession with us.

18 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I’ll never understand their strange obsession with us.

Same as everyone, jealousy. The highlights of their decade are a diddy cup win and avoiding relegation from the second tier. 

4 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Positivity's obviously good but if you want to be realistic, how many players have we've signed from Ireland that have really worked and this one needs to start making a big difference immediately. As does our Welsh International but he's played how many games in the last year or even this season? Obviously I hope they make the required difference but time may be against both of them unfortunately. 

Yes we were unlucky with McMillan's injury but when you're given the bare minimum that's the risk you run. 

You can make the case for and against McMillan. Dundalk's European results suggest they are a decent team and he's obviously been a big part of that. He was in the league's Team of the Year and has 51 league goals from 81 games over the past three seasons, plus 8 from 19 in European football. From reports, he works incredibly hard and sounds like a fit for Saints.

On the flip side, Gary Twigg, Richie Towell and Pat Hoban have scored goals in that league. Hoban is now back at Dundalk after 6 goals in three seasons in League Two. Sean Maguire won a move to Preston from Dundalk's big rivals Cork in the summer but had scored 20 goals in as many games last season. He's made a really bright start in the Championship though.

I think the LOI has come a long way since Arkins and Dunne but admit Gartland came with a big reputation and flopped. It'll be interesting to see how Cummins does back over there but then I suspect he'll be playing with a huge weight off his shoulders.