Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Players don't have to be pals to fit into a side. Sheringham and Cole being the most famous situation.

Just think that Swanson's time with us is done though.

I'd far rather we were extending Watts contract tbh.

You could be correct re-Swanson, but I’d still worry there’s a lingering disagreement to happen at any time.

I thought it was quite telling that Wright brought Ali McCann on before Spoony on Saturday and indeed Scougall and McClean. Suggests that Spoony is effectively down to 5th choice central midfielder now and back up winger, possibly 3/4th choice number 10. I’d say his days are beginning to look numbered. It’s a sign of the times when someone of his undoubted talent is reduced to a part time role at best. Then again he seems to be the type of player to be happy to sit on the bench and never get a run of games, or at least has been throughout his saints career. I’d say Ando is down to 4th choice centreback, Spoony down to 5th choice. Easton will have a fight on his hands if he ever gets fit again. The old guard is gone, Marry is the only regular to be honest. Craig has upped it and rediscovered a use for now, but how long for is anyone’s guess. It’s exciting times at saints and the entertainment is back which is a bonus.

I don't think Foster has a particular gripe with Swanson. He just hates  everybody around him for 90 mins on a Saturday. He's thrown about 20 tantrums in his time here. Still amazed Liam Gordon didn't kick him into the stand at Hamilton.

Edited by Broon_100

8 minutes ago, Widge said:

You could be correct re-Swanson, but I’d still worry there’s a lingering disagreement to happen at any time.

I thought it was quite telling that Wright brought Ali McCann on before Spoony on Saturday and indeed Scougall and McClean. Suggests that Spoony is effectively down to 5th choice central midfielder now and back up winger, possibly 3/4th choice number 10. I’d say his days are beginning to look numbered. It’s a sign of the times when someone of his undoubted talent is reduced to a part time role at best. Then again he seems to be the type of player to be happy to sit on the bench and never get a run of games, or at least has been throughout his saints career. I’d say Ando is down to 4th choice centreback, Spoony down to 5th choice. Easton will have a fight on his hands if he ever gets fit again. The old guard is gone, Marry is the only regular to be honest. Craig has upped it and rediscovered a use for now, but how long for is anyone’s guess. It’s exciting times at saints and the entertainment is back which is a bonus.

Spoony didn't even make the bench on Saturday which I found surprising, unless he's carrying an injury.

Agreed he looks well down the pecking order at the minute, but it's a long season and with loss of form, injuries and suspensions, it could all look so different in a few months time.

Hopefully we create a situation where players know when they get their chance, they have to take it when they do come in, or they won't be first choice for long.

Spoony had the starting midfield berth at the beginning of the season, but didn't do enough to keep it and was rightly dropped. Hopefully that gives him a bit more motivation and incentive to deliver the next time he gets his chance.

Spoony was injured on Saturday and not on the bench

Fwiw I think McCann and Hendry were brought on with half an eye on the thought it would help them get loan moves. It's more likely a League One club will make a move for a young player getting top flight minutes than one who isn't. I'm fairly convinced neither are ahead of Wotherspoon/Scougall at this stage. 

I also think Watt will bring out the best in Kane if they partner each other. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

I'm really excited about this Ipswich lad like I'm sure most of us are, but I'm hoping we're still able to bring in another centre midfielder.  

Nydam is obviously a fantastic prospect, but he is a very young lad to expect to walk straight into the team and dominate the centre midfield area, and is fairly unproven at first team level.  Is the English championship so far ahead of our premiership that a fringe player down there is going to excel up here?  It might happen, hopefully it does, but no guarantees.

Very exciting, but also an unknown quantity for most of us, and a bit of a more experienced signing as well would possibly be a good thing to complement the signing of young Tristan, and give an extra option.

If Swanson was our final signing we'd be the most "stacked" attacking wise I can ever remember. Kennedy, Wright, Scougall, Swanson, Wotherspoon, Kane, McMillan, Watt and Hendry all scrapping over 3/4 positions. 

We're still short on left sided players so it would make sense that way, play him as a "10" with the knowledge he can play left if Kennedy is out. 

I'd rather another, more defensive, CM though. Maybe Nydam will be exactly that player and it'll free up the budget for a "luxury" signing. 

f**k knows though, just guesswork. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45299127

Danny Swanson could depart for either Dundee or St Johnstone, who are also interested in Hearts' Ross Callachan.

Offt! options, options...

Secure both and there are a number of versatile formations we could adopt pending on the opponents.

We could have a midfield selection of 

Kennedy (Winger),

Wright (Winger)

Scougall (Central)

Swanson (Winger/Central)

Wotherspoon (Winger)

Alston (Winger)

Nydam (Central)

Callachan (Central)

Craig (Central)

Davidson (Central)

Mclean (Central)

We won't get both unless Scougall is moving on, I'd have thought. Wouldn't be a huge shock to find a Motherwell/St Mirren are willing are try and get more out Scougall for a fee, tbh. 

Imagine most would be happy with Scougall being sold for ~£75k, Swanson being signed for a nominal fee lower, then Callachan joining on loan for the season. 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We won't get both unless Scougall is moving on, I'd have thought. Wouldn't be a huge shock to find a Motherwell/St Mirren are willing are try and get more out Scougall for a fee, tbh. 

Imagine most would be happy with Scougall being sold for ~£75k, Swanson being signed for a nominal fee lower, then Callachan joining on loan for the season. 

Yes that was kind of my thinking.

I would loved to have seen Scougz get a run of games in the number 10 role, but if he's not going to get game time then perhaps he's as well moving on for the sake of his own career, and to free up a wage for us.

The point has been made, possibly by yourself, that we've seen just about everyone else get more time in that position than Scougall; Alston, Macmillan, Wotherspoon, Craig etc, so it's pretty obvious Tommy doesn't have him earmarked for that role. Disappointing for me as I don't think he's been given a decent crack at it, but that's the way it goes.

I don't want him to leave, but if it was a case of him just continuing being used as a bit part player as he has been, then I'd prefer we were proactive and sorted it now, bringing in Swanson/ Callachan if they would get to contribute more.

You think we'd get as much as that for Scougall? I'd imagine St Mirren, Livingston, Accies and Motherwell would also be interested in a creative player.. not sure how many could afford him. Possibly Dundee as well?