Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I initially assumed that the above headline was an example of the Scottish Sun being typically sensationalist. Upon reading the article, my presumption wavered somewhat. So I decided to ask my Ipswich-supporting co-worker. I have since been informed that Tristan Nydam is genuinely a 'wonder kid'. A 'quality midfielder who likes to get stuck in'. A player who 'should be starting for Ipswich'.

In conclusion, a top three finish is now guaranteed. 

4 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

WAP is unimpressed:(

We've our own young players:(

Perfectly acceptable to want a permanent solution to a problem position in our team. Look how many loans we went through to get a couple of wingers and look at the problems it causes in January if it's a 6 month loan.

I'm happy if it's a years deal. If its 6 months I'd say no to most players on loan.

Edited by Broon_100

Usually with this type of signing you go on their clubs forum and find the hype isn't real, and they have a major flaw. 

Not so with this boy. There's a couple of their fans who mention he's like a young Kieron Dyer, but better at the age he is. 

6 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

Perfectly acceptable to want a permanent solution to a problem position in our team. Look how many loans we went through to get a couple of wingers and look at the problems it causes in January if it's a 6 month loan.

I'm happy if it's a years deal. If its 6 months I'd say no to most players on loan.

You've got to give this type of signing a chance imo. He's been a first team regular for most of last season at 17.

None of our young players have obviously shown that promise consistently. 

There's a couple of their fans who mention he's like a young Kieron Dyer, but better at the age he is. 

Good to get Foster's sparring partner sorted.

Hard not to be excited about this one - you'd really hope it's till the end of the season too.

Any news we get today is tempered by the fact that Danny Swanson is available from Hibs and Saints don't have a spot for him. What an absolute waste if he ends up at Ross County.

Never heard of Nydam, so will judge him on what he does for Saints. He's very young but to play 20 games for Ipswich last season (over half of them starts) means he must have something. This isn't a guy that had a breakthrough three or four years ago and stalled either.

It's not a long-term solution but then I'd resigned myself to that not happening in the last week of the window.

Dundee also being linked to Swanson. 

Either way he had the chance of being a regular, and a key player, for us over a period of three/four years. Instead he's spent it wasting away on a bench. He turns 32 in December, and has wasted his peak. 

Would still take Swanson if we could move Scougall on. He's been a total disappointment.

TW certainly seems to lack faith in Scougall so wonder if there’s any possibility of that. To me he’d flourish playing behind Watt with Wright and Kennedy either side but doesn’t look like that will be happening.

8 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

Would still take Swanson if we could move Scougall on. He's been a total disappointment.

Was thinking the same to be honest, although Swanson at nearly 32 isn't a long-term option. Based on what we've seen so far, I'd be far more worried lining up against Swanson than Scougall.

Can't in any way knock Swanson for making the move to Hibs, even though it hasn't worked out. Shame for him though.

Swanson would be used better than Scougall, that's the difference. 

I loved Swanson but his time at Saints has passed, we've twice rescued his career and its gone to waste, understandable or not it can't happen again. He's coming up for 32, barely played any football in the past year, and has had a succession of niggly injuries over that period. 

Let's just have the memories of those glorious chubby baller years and move on. 

Look at how good our window has been when the safety options of Swanson and MOH were pulled away from Tommy. Young, exciting, unpredictable signings that are showing their worth already. Spending half a season getting Danny back to full fitness while on a hefty wage will not do us any good this time around.

Scougall has not lived up to the hype - far from it - but he's also mostly been played out of position in a system that doesn't work for him. He really needs to step it up when given the opportunity this season, but he can't be entirely to blame for the lack of success so far.

3 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

This is unfair to be honest. He left us for the first time when he was 28 and the second time when he was 30, both stages of a career when you’d be thinking that this is your last opportunity to have a cash in. Ignoring the fact that Hibs are his club and the emotional attachment he would have felt to them after his friends death, from a footballing perspective he was one of the best players in the league in 2016/17 and Hibs were just promoted. I think most of us thought he’d get a regular start for them and impress. It’s just not worked out for him, no blame should be attached to him for his decision to leave. 

Fair enough points. Especially if you consider the story where the chairman was dragging his heels about offering him a contract.

2 hours ago, Broon_100 said:

If we can get McCann out on loan for a year playing regularly then it benefits St Johnstone greatly. He is the one ear marked to play alongside Muzz. 

A couple of Ipswich forums are mentioning the Nydam to us on loan story, although both are quoting the story in the sun, rather than any other source.

They seem unhappy at letting him out on loan as he seems they rate him, and especially to us, as what can he learn playing here etc etc all the usual ill-informed stuff about Scottish football from folk daan saaf innit.

One mentions Nydam's qualities are well suited to their high pressing game, so hopefully that means he has loads of energy and likes to get stuck in. As well as being able to play a pass, obviously.

http://tractor-boys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=945802&sid=8ae7a8c8def87746a1323a00cdecb580#p945802