Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

As Radford keeps saying you’d always rather have a player permanently in the squad, but it may be that the player Wright wants isn’t around until next season. If it means we bring a boy in on loan to perform for the season so be it. He watched Drey Wright for months and spent ages convincing him to join and whilst early days, he’s the potential to be our best out and out winger for years. I’m including MoH in that as well.

He’s signed 3 outfield players this season and they’re all playing well and look the part so far. So for once I’m actually trusting Wright to bring in the correct player, this has so far been his strongest window to date.

I don't mind loans if they're better players than you can afford normally, the likes of Abeid and O'Halloran obvious examples of it done right. 

6 hours ago, Stelling said:

Look at how good our window has been when the safety options of Swanson and MOH were pulled away from Tommy. Young, exciting, unpredictable signings that are showing their worth already. Spending half a season getting Danny back to full fitness while on a hefty wage will not do us any good this time around.

Scougall has not lived up to the hype - far from it - but he's also mostly been played out of position in a system that doesn't work for him. He really needs to step it up when given the opportunity this season, but he can't be entirely to blame for the lack of success so far.

I hear the out of position card being played a lot regarding Scougall. I presume everyone wants him played central in behind the strikers? A position whenever I've seen him he's been absolutley anonymous. He's had lots of chances. He needs to start getting involved in games though as I feel we carry him when he plays. Huge disappointment.

1 hour ago, Broon_100 said:

I hear the out of position card being played a lot regarding Scougall. I presume everyone wants him played central in behind the strikers? A position whenever I've seen him he's been absolutley anonymous. He's had lots of chances. He needs to start getting involved in games though as I feel we carry him when he plays. Huge disappointment.

I think I've seen him play there 3, maybe 4 times in the year he's been here, including the new year 0-2 game v Dundee when he was our best player.

He did play there v East Fife in the Betfred in the summer and had no impact, but then I thought the whole team was misfiring that day in our first competitive match.

I'd hardly say 'lots of chances'

2 hours ago, Broon_100 said:

You're obviously a troll.

7 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

You're obviously a troll.

Obviously. Balanced opinions which disagree with the majority must mean trolling.

There was a significant period of time in the first half of last season where we played 1 striker and 3 advanced players in behind in my opinion to accommodate Scougall. He may have been deployed on the right of that 3 more than central but that formation should have suited him. He didn't have to worry too much about defending as we had 2 holding players in behind. In my opinion he barely influenced a game (he did have 1 or 2 strong performances, one against Hamilton) but in no way justified the hype he came with.

He's very light and is afforded little protection and struggles to influence. I'd be happy to be proved wrong but even Tommy preferred an out of position McMillan to him sitting off the striker on Saturday though they may have been to compete against Dundees physicality.

If he can claim his place and be the star player we all expected him to be I'll be delighted but facts are he's behind both wingers and Alston, Craig and Spoony in the pecking order.

Scougall hasn't had a run of games in his preferred position, bit bizarre to be writing him off considering that. Even more bizarre to suggest we played a formation solely for his benefit, when that formation had him out of position. 

If he's not going to play regularly as a ten there's no point in him being here, so he's probably aswell leaving seeing as TW has plumped for McMillan, Alston and fucking Liam Craig in that position ahead of him since he joined. He won't contribute enough from wide positions. 

Scougall hasn't had a run of games in his preferred position, bit bizarre to be writing him off considering that. Even more bizarre to suggest we played a formation solely for his benefit, when that formation had him out of position. 
If he's not going to play regularly as a ten there's no point in him being here, so he's probably aswell leaving seeing as TW has plumped for McMillan, Alston and fucking Liam Craig in that position ahead of him since he joined. He won't contribute enough from wide positions. 
I'd add he was out injured for a fair chunk of the second half of last season. Don't think he's as bad defensively as is being made out too.

I'm a big fan of his but undoubtedly as - you'd suspect - a high earner we need to see more this season. I can't decide if McMillan dropping so deep was intentional on Saturday or just a product of being out numbered and Kamara getting too much of the ball. If it was intended, it's not much of a vote of confidence for Alston, Wotherspoon or Scougall given they probably all would say that's their favoured position.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Everyone's assuming central behind a striker is his preferred position. Anyone asked him? When we played 3 behind the central striker they interchanged in the games. Scougall hardly ever stayed central. To take on that role you are removing a striker so you have to contribute goals and assists. He's not shown he's capable of that.

I just don't think he's as good as everyone thinks he is. I'd LOVE to be proved wrong but he's not shown anything to convince me otherwise. 

Anyway, here's to a Scougall hat trick on Saturday ;)

Pretty much completely agree with @Broon_100 on Scougall, especially about this hard luck story with regards to his position. He's an attacking midfielder and was regularly played in that role. I have sympathy with him playing wide in a midfield four but not in a three behind a striker.

He's delivered very little so far but I think the fans are still on his side because they think there is a player in there. Hopefully he rewards that faith.

If we could ship out three of Alston, Scougall, Wotherspoon and Comrie this week and bring in this lad from Ipswich and Swanson I would do that in a heartbeat.

I’m off for a cold shower to calm down at the thought of a front four of Watt, Wright, Swanson and Kennedy.

IMG_1535391724.944934.jpg

Scougall has delivered 2 goals and a couple of assists in over a year. Whilst he's shown flashes of quality and he works hard, he needs to contribute more than he currently is. He'll be one of our highest paid players and, at this moment in time, he's not really playing to that level.

I wouldn't be devastated if Scougall left if it meant we could bring Swanson back. I doubt that's an option for us but Swanson fits much better in our team than Scougall seems to.

Why sign anyone else when Liam Caddis is probably available for buttons? A good honest Saintees youth team boy who'll give his all and contribute absolutely f**k all but get him on, go on Liam, run about a bit son. What's Scotty Brown up to these days, oh boy he sure was a trier, give him a shot instead, rather than a player who could actually make a difference. Bring home Gilchrist whilst we're at it.

image.png.ad9317915cf5a6f8ae38735601f19d65.png

45 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Why sign anyone else when Liam Caddis is probably available for buttons? A good honest Saintees youth team boy who'll give his all and contribute absolutely f**k all but get him on, go on Liam, run about a bit son. What's Scotty Brown up to these days, oh boy he sure was a trier, give him a shot instead, rather than a player who could actually make a difference. Bring home Gilchrist whilst we're at it.

All of those players are definitely comparable to the impact Swanson made for us right enough. 

21 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I think, and hope, you’ve read that post wrong, 

Think my man @Bonksy+HisChristianParade was having a dig at the ‘play the youths’ brigade. The ones who were adamant George Hunter should get a shot. 

I think it's at the 'bring him home' brigade of which I'm a long-standing member.

34 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think it's at the 'bring him home' brigade of which I'm a long-standing member.

Nah you’re wrong mate, would have Swanson back in a heartbeat. Back to school to work on your Higher English comprehension thanks.

Far too often it was heard at games loads of old codgers criticising genuinely good players like O’Halloran and Swanson because they wanted to see more of the good honest hard-working Saintee youth players. More often than not they’re fucking gash and end up playing in League 2 which realistically is hardly better than playing Junior.

I’m not writing off McCann as he appears to have a bit more about him than Caddis, Brown et al but if he’s our starting midfielder this season we’re in for a torrid time. Get him out on loan to prove himself a bit and bring in someone who’s currently a better player. Although I suspect you agree with all of the above.

Actually f**k it, what’s Gareth Rodgers up to these days, get him on the blower, he was a guid honest Saintee centre half. Get him converted into a holding centre mid and we’re sorted.