Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes scored the same amount of league goals for Partick as any of our strikers have managed for us this season :lol:

Genuinely Interesting fact :lol:

Tommy's interview was the most encouraging thing coming out of St Johnstone for weeks. Particularly good to hear him say that he takes responsibility for the teams he was putting out in that he's been too loyal and protected them too much. I sat a couple of rows behind Wothersoon in the main stand on Wednesday thinking that he's finally found his best position. For the first time this year Tommy looked genuinely angry. Looking forward to seeing him step up to his talk on Wednesday. 

Thought also that his comment that Craig had taken his last penalty for the team was rough but fair, but more revealing was the comment that nobody else wanted to step up! I think it's only Kennedy that's actually scored a penalty this year? 

When he was talking about players that think they are 'safe' I thought Foster, Tanser, Davidson, Swanson, MOH. Unlike others I didn't think MOH was terrible yesterday (from watching the TV feed admittedly).  He looks like he's getting some fitness back and needs game time.  Bin Swanson  asap though and write that off as a losing punt. This tactic of him being some sort of 'impact sub' is fucking hopeless. 

@PauloPerth I'd like to think that with the squad we have we are surely good enough for a 6th place in this division. When you take out Aberdeen, the OF and Edinburgh clubs then we're in a bunch who will think the same, arguably any of about 6 clubs could 'do a Kilmarnock'. Agree with you that there's a massive on the park issue with passing and movement. I don't think it's team selection though and I don't think the play beyond thier ability but  it points to a coaching problem as well as dressing room confidence. A shake-up of the staff in that area would be good to see. 

Relgation next year is a real threat, not least because it's possible (likely) both Ross County and Utd will come up. With their resources they'll be more of a threat than St Mirren, Hamilton or Dundee have been.  

This should have been the transition year but it's looking like a 2 or 3 year project now. Hopefully we can stay up while we do it, not interested in  being another Hamilton that end up relying on shithousing games with teams that are just slightly worse than us to scrape enough points to stay up year after year. We don't have the core support to sustain that and you get caught out soon enough. It would be even worse if they expand the leauge which I can see them doing in the next few years. 

24 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Bin Swanson  asap though and write that off as a losing punt. This tactic of him being some sort of 'impact sub' is fucking hopeless. 

Fun fact...

Motherwell away. Swanson subbed on after 68 minutes. Motherwell open scoring on 70 minutes.

Hibernian home. Swanson subbed on at 84 minutes. Hibernian score winner on 86 minutes.

Aberdeen home. Swanson subbed on at 72 minutes. Aberdeen score on 75 minutes.

Rangers home. Swanson subbed on 82 minutes. Rangers score on 88 minutes.

Hearts away. Swanson subbed on at 58 minutes. Hearts score on 64 minutes.

He seems to be becoming more of a jinx as the season goes on.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

It’s all very well and good being harsh in an interview and with strong words. However until I see it in action, words are all it is, it needs to be shown to convince me.

That's fair comment. He's gone in hard on the squad a couple of times in the past and never really backed it up.

The manager is very loyal but I doubt it's a hill he's prepared to die on. If he's the good manager you like to think he's shown himself to be then his patience won't extend too far. 

Just listened to the interviews after yesterday's game.  Thought Foster was very honest and accurate in terms of us not doing well enough in any area of park.  Actually thought he did okay himself yesterday, with the exception of slicing a pass down the line over the stand roof late on!

I'm not at the wind up, as a Dee currently, I'm in no position to be on the wind up. Do you think there's a chance Tommy Wright has just went stale at St Johnstone? He's been at St Johnstone a long long time now. Do you think he'll sort it out next season or maybe time for some fresh ideas?

The reason I ask, is because on paper, your team is probably the best it's ever been over the course of the players you've had over the past say year or so.

44 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fun fact...

Motherwell away. Swanson subbed on after 68 minutes. Motherwell open scoring on 70 minutes.

Hibernian home. Swanson subbed on at 84 minutes. Hibernian score winner on 86 minutes.

Aberdeen home. Swanson subbed on at 72 minutes. Aberdeen score on 75 minutes.

Rangers home. Swanson subbed on 82 minutes. Rangers score on 88 minutes.

Hearts away. Swanson subbed on at 58 minutes. Hearts score on 64 minutes.

He seems to be becoming more of a jinx as the season goes on.

That's quite a damning list, but it's not entirely balanced. He did come on at 0-0 away to Hibs and play a big part in us getting the 3 points (winning and missing a penalty as well).

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not at the wind up, as a Dee currently, I'm in no position to be on the wind up. Do you think there's a chance Tommy Wright has just went stale at St Johnstone? He's been at St Johnstone a long long time now. Do you think he'll sort it out next season or maybe time for some fresh ideas?

The reason I ask, is because on paper, your team is probably the best it's ever been over the course of the players you've had over the past say year or so.

Possibly.

A lot of our strong leaders are gone; Wright, Anderson, Mackay, Millar, Maclean, and we haven't really replaced that presence on the park.  We used to be great at holding onto a 1-0 win, and battling back against teams, but struggle to do either very frequently just now.

We have a decent squad, but maybe the balance is wrong. We messed with the line up and formation far too often when we were doing okay, which disrupted any rhythm or consistency.

It might well be a staleness, but more likely it's just a case of having to learn from the mistakes of this season. Don't just sign players because they are decent and available, let's have a plan on how they will fit into our system.  Make it a target to get in the first team and an incentive to perform well by keeping your place. And being dropped for underperforming.

Sign a few leaders/ winners who will drag everybody through when we're up against it.

Its easy to forget about the positives from the season; Clark, Kerr, Gordon, Drey Wright, Kennedy.

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Possibly.

A lot of our strong leaders are gone; Wright, Anderson, Mackay, Millar, Maclean, and we haven't really replaced that presence on the park.  We used to be great at holding onto a 1-0 win, and battling back against teams, but struggle to do either very frequently just now.

We have a decent squad, but maybe the balance is wrong. We messed with the line up and formation far too often when we were doing okay, which disrupted any rhythm or consistency.

It might well be a staleness, but more likely it's just a case of having to learn from the mistakes of this season. Don't just sign players because they are decent and available, let's have a plan on how they will fit into our system.  Make it a target to get in the first team and an incentive to perform well by keeping your place. And being dropped for underperforming.

Sign a few leaders/ winners who will drag everybody through when we're up against it.

Its easy to forget about the positives from the season; Clark, Kerr, Gordon, Drey Wright, Kennedy.

Admittedly, we've had McCann and now McIntyre as manager, but it's easier said than done to sign a leader. We have a few - Darren O'Dea, Paul McGowan & Kenny Miller. None are realistically good enough to help keep us up and win games. They eventually just become ineffective shouters!

McIntyre signed a 'leader' - Martin Fucking Woods.

58 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Admittedly, we've had McCann and now McIntyre as manager, but it's easier said than done to sign a leader. We have a few - Darren O'Dea, Paul McGowan & Kenny Miller. None are realistically good enough to help keep us up and win games. They eventually just become ineffective shouters!

McIntyre signed a 'leader' - Martin Fucking Woods.

True. Players like Power at Kilmarnock and Shinnie at Aberdeen, despite me thinking he's a bit overrated, are perfect for the clubs they're at, and are not readily available.

You think of Hartley, McCann and McIntyre and realise that's the thing for those to bear in mind when they're calling on Saints to change manager.  There's absolutely no guarantee of improvement.  And who are obvious candidates to bring in if we did?!

McGowan is exactly the type of player we needed. A hard working midfielder who can win the ball and retain possession with a simple pass. 

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

True. Players like Power at Kilmarnock and Shinnie at Aberdeen, despite me thinking he's a bit overrated, are perfect for the clubs they're at, and are not readily available.

You think of Hartley, McCann and McIntyre and realise that's the thing for those to bear in mind when they're calling on Saints to change manager.  There's absolutely no guarantee of improvement.  And who are obvious candidates to bring in if we did?!

McGowan is exactly the type of player we needed. A hard working midfielder who can win the ball and retain possession with a simple pass. 

I love McGowan, but he can't pass and he harasses players but very rarely wins the ball. He's done.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I love McGowan, but he can't pass and he harasses players but very rarely wins the ball. He's done.

I can fully imagine TW signing him. We've tried to get and Darian MacKinnon under him.

Wouldnt be surprised if we moved for Cammy Kerr either, FWIW.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I can fully imagine TW signing him. We've tried to get and Darian MacKinnon under him.

Wouldnt be surprised if we moved for Cammy Kerr either, FWIW.

McGowan won't leave as long as we offer him a deal. Kerr - who knows. McIntyre seemed to hang him out to dry yesterday. Not included in the match day squad, picking a youth player ahead of him yet Kerr (Professional that he is) proceeded to train on his own (Away from the squad) and done everything the rest of the squad done so it wasn't as if he was injured.

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

McGowan won't leave as long as we offer him a deal. Kerr - who knows. McIntyre seemed to hang him out to dry yesterday. Not included in the match day squad, picking a youth player ahead of him yet Kerr (Professional that he is) proceeded to train on his own (Away from the squad) and done everything the rest of the squad done so it wasn't as if he was injured.

I didn't mean we'll sign him ahead of you, just that I wouldnt be surprised at the signing of him if it happened.

I expected us to sign Don Cowie though, so I'm usually miles out.

Now public knowledge Danny Swanson is up in court for assaulting a bouncer in an Edinburgh pub, just days after we lost 2-1 to Hibs.

Hes already losing the support with his insipid performances, and the manager has to be losing patience too. The chairman will probably wanting wages brought down this Summer too and will be nagging the manager about who to cut loose.

Silly boy.

On 01/04/2019 at 19:28, The Real Saints said:

It looks like Danny has signed up to WAP in order to defend himself.

I’m assuming that won’t end well but can’t bring myself to go on WAP for the first time in years to find out. 

Not sure if anybody will be interested but I sent Saints TV an email asking if there could be a part of the website where the score from the game is hidden so you could watch the game "as live".

Got this back:

Hi,

We have just created a system where this is a possibility, we need to train club staff on how to implement this.

It may not be until the start of the new season until it is rolled out but we will speak with the club about this.

A twist...

Aberdeen have offered a pre-contract to St Johnstone skipper Joe Shaughnessy but are losing patience on that one as the defender has stalled over his next move.