Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

25 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Ghostie is permanently raging. 

Isn't it the case that he took a strop at one of the Fitba Fitness events in Dunfermline and attempted to walk back to Perth?

He hopes Alston leaving isnt "another Scougall moment".

Scougall 1 goal and 0 assists in 9 games for League Two Carlisle and seems to have been dropped for their last two games...

Tommy has confirmed that Tony Watt is off at the end of the season. Started brightly and showed signs of potentially being a gifted footballer when he sets his mind to it. However, as has been the case at previous clubs, his form has dropped and he hasn’t contributed enough in terms of goals and assists. I’d suggest that he maybe thinks he’s a better player than he actually is. I won’t be losing any sleep over this one. Another exciting box-office striker awaits us in the summer.

2 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Tommy has confirmed that Tony Watt is off at the end of the season. Started brightly and showed signs of potentially being a gifted footballer when he sets his mind to it. However, as has been the case at previous clubs, his form has dropped and he hasn’t contributed enough in terms of goals and assists. I’d suggest that he maybe thinks he’s a better player than he actually is. I won’t be losing any sleep over this one. Another exciting box-office striker awaits us in the summer.

Wrights comments of "a player obviously has a value of himself, and we dont share that value" probably says it all.

Wasted opportunity for the player, again, and he'll have to start all over somewhere else, again.

Another who would be aswell sitting in the stands until the end of the season, Callum Hendry deserves a run until the Summer to stake his claim.

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

Disappointing about Watt. Started very brightly but has failed to live up to it. 

Averaged a league goal every 969 minutes.

Kane, who we all agree isnt a top flight striker, averages a goal every 325 minutes over his top flight career...

After a season as the main striker at Saints what type of striker would folk say Tony is? He's not an out and out goalscorer, he's not a fox in the box, he's not a Steven Maclean type who did a lot of great work linking play, what even is a Tony Watt?

I like the laddie and wanted him to do well at Saints, but that's more to do with him wasting whatever talent he has, I wanted it to work for both parties, sadly I don't really think it's helped either. If you're asking for top money Tony, you need to be a top player pal, we now move on and give a platform for the next player needing a pick me up.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

After a season as the main striker at Saints what type of striker would folk say Tony is? He's not an out and out goalscorer, he's not a fox in the box, he's not a Steven Maclean type who did a lot of great work linking play, what even is a Tony Watt?

I like the laddie and wanted him to do well at Saints, but that's more to do with him wasting whatever talent he has, I wanted it to work for both parties, sadly I don't really think it's helped either. If you're asking for top money Tony, you need to be a top player pal, we now move on and give a platform for the next player needing a pick me up.

stevie may...

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

No cripples at Mcdiarmid please.

You know hes coming back, one way or another.

Won't hear a bad word said about Tony Watt off the pitch. What a load of bollocks we were told about him before he signed. Probably been guilty myself of overlooking how good he was up until the break too. I think the lack of goals has clouded my judgement as looking back, I was usually saying good things about him after games. He missed good chances though and I'm not sure that would ever change. 

He presumably joined Saints on a contract that would see him earn as little as he has done as a professional and he's entitled to seek out a deal more akin to what he's accustomed to. Good luck to him. 

By the sounds of it we've handled the Watt issue just right.

I think there's a very good player in there so I'm pleased we saw fit to try and keep him, and Wright seeing him at training obviously thought he's not an absolute lost cause. 

That said, there's no doubting he hasn't reached levels expected this year so I'm glad we didn't try and use up too much of next year's budget trying to keep him. Taking an expensive gamble on the potential jackpot of unknown entity Watt far more justifiable last year than doing so on the player we've seen all year now. 

I think Watt's got enough about him to not be too thin skinned about Wright's comments either, door open to him coming back when he fails to find the deal he wants. More likely he'll wind up at a backed English club like Billericay or something. 

Won't hear a bad word said about Tony Watt off the pitch. What a load of bollocks we were told about him before he signed. Probably been guilty myself of overlooking how good he was up until the break too. I think the lack of goals has clouded my judgement as looking back, I was usually saying good things about him after games. He missed good chances though and I'm not sure that would ever change. 
He presumably joined Saints on a contract that would see him earn as little as he has done as a professional and he's entitled to seek out a deal more akin to what he's accustomed to. Good luck to him. 

Absolutely, he’s been nothing of the disruptive influence and bad egg people label him as. In fact he’s probably got younger fans connecting a little with saints through his videos and I’m sure both Watt and saints will speak fondly of each other.

It’s a shame it didn’t work out, he’s got talent, but lacks killer instinct. Half a dozen more goals on his tally and you could almost justify a larger wage given his overall talent and play. Callum Hendry though looks a very similar player but possibly less afraid to actually shoot.

And half-a-dozen more goals wouldn't have been a stretch. Missed big chances at Ibrox, Easter Road, home to St Mirren and home to Celtic. There will be others I've forgotten as well. If he scores those four easy chances and nets his penalty against St Mirren then goes on to score regularly from the spot, he's sitting on 18 goals for the season. 

Fine lines. 

Budget is fair freeing itself up now though. I know some fans have been worried about it (with the number of players already renewed and it possibly being cut back) but the potential is there to free up 9 wages:

Watt
Shaughnessy
Alston
Easton
Bell/Hurst/Mitchell
Comrie/McCann/McClean
Goss/Nydam
Anderson
McMillan

13 minutes ago, Radford said:

Budget is fair freeing itself up now though. I know some fans have been worried about it (with the number of players already renewed and it possibly being cut back) but the potential is there to free up 9 wages:

Watt
Shaughnessy
Alston
Easton
Bell/Hurst/Mitchell
Comrie/McCann/McClean
Goss/Nydam
Anderson
McMillan

Whys Anderson in there...

But aye, I was one worried about the budget being cut, but theres every chance there'll still be a fair wedge to get players in. Needs to be a good window though, a bad window could be disastrous. 

17 minutes ago, Radford said:

And half-a-dozen more goals wouldn't have been a stretch. Missed big chances at Ibrox, Easter Road, home to St Mirren and home to Celtic. There will be others I've forgotten as well. If he scores those four easy chances and nets his penalty against St Mirren then goes on to score regularly from the spot, he's sitting on 18 goals for the season. 

Fine lines. 

Those in the trade don't call it a fine line, they call it a "Cummins line"