Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I don’t think the reaction to the chairman’s view on colt teams was even particularly disproportionate. Even if you do back the idea there’s no prospect Saints would’ve been afforded one in the lower leagues. Coming out and supporting them was just bizarre. 

I think perthsaint1977 is getting an undeserved hard time again. I've never once thought he posts his snippets in a 'I know, you don't' manner. The boards anonymous after all. I've taken it more as a fan tipping off other fans something's happening  but is unable to explain fully. He's about 98% right too. I'd much rather have this approach than the supposed ITKs that declare after the event they knew about it 6 weeks ago. Natural fan frustration aside, I'm glad ps1977 does it and hope he continues with the genuine tip offs.  :thumsup2

Steven Anderson will be back now from Partick.

Any possibility of him getting back into the side, or think he’ll be let go now?

On 05/05/2019 at 11:43, mizfit said:

Steven Anderson will be back now from Partick.

Any possibility of him getting back into the side, or think he’ll be let go now?

I'd want to keep him around, but I think the time has passed where he could be first choice CB at this level. Itll be up to him what he wants to do, I'd imagine.

The reserves may be over after the game today, but they're going out with a bang.

1-0 up against a Celtic side who have to win if they want to win the title. Their fans are absolutely seething on Twitter because we dared to select some first teamers instead of rolling over and selecting our u16s.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Easton has been offered a new contract - it’s on the back page of tomorrow’s courier. 

Hopefully on a hugely reduced contract.

Did we not hand Mackay and Wright deals, despite them both looking finished, and then regret it just months later?

Manager obviously sees him training and in reserves games, but it would be preferable to wait until he'd actually played a full game again. 

Last 90 minutes he played first football in was October 2017.

He has now played several reserve matches with only one setback when he came off after 22 minutes with a knock unrelated to his previous problems.Obviously we can't be certain but it looks like he is ready to return to first team football.I reckon he is a bit like O'Halloran in that they will both benefit from a good pre-season.This would leave us only looking for a second keeper,a utility defender,a central midfielder,and one or perhaps two strikers 

I think in this case, you’re better the devil you know. If he is fit and playing alright then we know him and his game, work ethic and he’s obviously liked by the other players. Plus Tanser is the starting left back and let’s face it he’s barely ever injured. It’s minor dips on form that are his problem. So I’ve got no issues with the new contract for Easton, plus we were never going to throw him on the scrap pile.

Dont get me wrong, I love Easton and I'm glad hes staying, but the last thing we need is for him to break down a month into the season and we're left without cover for Tanser. He wont stay injury free forever.

I take it hes just trying avoid a huge rebuild?

No harm to Alston but I struggle to believe he'll be making the bench if we sign a new CM and striker, which is hopefully the plan.

In saying that it would be interesting to see him in beside Craig and Davidson.

Who knew when Alston's representative was leaking stories about Championship interest in January that it would eventually end up being the Scottish version. 

He's started one game in 2019. I don't mind him and thought he was having a decent season before the break but it's hard to justify giving a player that has been involved so little a deal IMO. 

So the squad would be...

Gk - Clark, Sinclair

RB - Foster

CB - Kerr, Gordon, Anderson

LB - Tanser, Easton

CM - Davidson, Craig, Callachan, Wotherspoon, Alston

RW - O'Halloran, Wright

LW - Kennedy, Swanson 

ST - Kane, Hendry

Suppose if you split the midfield into groups of two, youd have Davidson and Callachan competing for the box to box role, hopefully Callachan learning from Davidson how to restrain himself. Wotherspoon and Alston competing as the more advanced of the three whos allowed more freedom, and then Craig as the deeper midfielder who helps start attacks while protecting the defence. 

It sort of makes sense. Maybe Widge has nailed it with the "better the devil you know" stuff, we'll need to sign four or five players this summer, so the less we gamble with the squad already here, the risk will be in those deals.

f**k knows where McCann and potentially McLean fit, stick them next to Sinclair and Hendry in the "hopefully loaned out" section.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I suspect McClean is Alston’s like for like replacement. Given the number of games Alston has features in, I’m alright with that tbh. You move Goss on and that’s your spot for another central midfielder which we need. Next seasons transfers are relatively easy, simply like for like replacements.

New keeper to sit on the bench
New fullback(s) to replace Comrie (Easton)
New centre back(s) to replace Shaughnessy (Anderson)
New midfielder to replace Goss
New striker to replace Watt

I think we’ll see 5 new players, 6 at a push unless he moves someone like Swanson on or we sell Clark or Kerr.

I’m just gonna quote myself again, since absolutely nothing has changed in my eyes.