Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, Shaggy Jenkins said:

I'm in that photo

I really hope, due to your username, you've got the mental hair at the front.

38 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

As ridiculous as this sounds, for someone who misses so many guilt edged chances, i’m still convinced Chris Kane has a bit of the natural finisher in him. Lovely touch to get the space yesterday and a good finish. 

He scored goals for fun at U20 level when that was his age group. One season I think he bettered a goal a game. Then obviously there have been his loan spells - 19 goals in 33 starts across the three - and even his return for Saints in total playing time isn't bad, 21 goals from time equal to 61 matches since he came off the bench at Aberdeen to score his first goal, so basically a one-in-three forward. 

The manager thinks his finishing is at its best when it's instinctive and you see it with the goal yesterday, one touch and he gets the shot off. There are things he's not good at and things he is. Can he improve more? Is the coaching structure in place at Saints to help him do that? 

He's worth his place in our squad and gets far too hard a time from some fans. 

He also struggles to string two good performances together. He can be excellent one match and I'm thinking great, Kane's found a bit of form, let's see how well he does this week, and he'll be back to the ball bouncing miles off him and falling over all the time.

Definitely a valuable squad member, who shows great commitment on the park, but theres been so many false dawns with him, as much as I hope he'll kick on and establish himself as a worthy starting striker in this league, I just can't see it happening.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

He also struggles to string two good performances together. He can be excellent one match and I'm thinking great, Kane's found a bit of form, let's see how well he does this week, and he'll be back to the ball bouncing miles off him and falling over all the time.

Definitely a valuable squad member, who shows great commitment on the park, but theres been so many false dawns with him, as much as I hope he'll kick on and establish himself as a worthy starting striker in this league, I just can't see it happening.

I think it's quite simple in that he's a very good player up until the top 6 level, where as you say he struggles for consistency. At the moment we've got a very good Championship player as our first choice striker, and that just isn't good enough. 

It's highly possible that with the right coaching and even with playing alongside a better striker he could develop further. 

He's not the only we have that's in the same boat, 'almost but not quite' seems to be where a few of the team are. With the signings we've brought in the last year we've moved the quality up a little I think, and we need to do that again just to stand still in this division. Hoping for a summer of a small number targeted, quality signings for year 2 of the post-cup Saints 2.0 project. Wingers, centre backs and keeper are fine (arguably full-backs but I'm not 100% convinced), got to look to turn up the quality in the other areas of the park now. 

Excellent news.

Shaughnessy, Alston, Watt and McMillan all being taken off the wage bill should create funds to bring in quality, and extend some deals.

Every fucking time I try and defend a Steve Brown decision, he goes and fucks it up for me.

Colt teams is fucking horrific, and it's incredible that a chairman who mewls about having too many players regularly, thinks that running a second side would somehow be plausible for us.

More likely that his *** tendencies are rising to the surface...

Agree with all of the above. f**k colts.

And f**k Steve Brown if he's supporting the idea.  Contradictory gibberish he's spouting, going on about how his preference was a Colts team in the lower league set up then going onto highlight how much Saints have benefitted from loaning players out to clubs in lower leagues.

If Saints are going to be involved in it, then you imagine all Premiership teams would have the option to have a Colt team in  the bottom league, and 12 smaller clubs eventually vanish down to the lowland / highland league. So that would mean 12 under 21 sides playing in the same league....  Just have an under 21 league in which case.

Would seriously reconsider my season ticket in future if Saints were actively promoting and participating in the Colts in lower leagues scheme.