Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

McMillan had the chance to go out on loan and make a statement but has failed miserably. I'm sure there will be no shortage of interested parties back over the water and that should make it easier to reach an agreement on the last year of his contract. 

Yesterday was a new test for Callum Hendry, starting a match as a lone striker. He got his first start for the club in that role against Hamilton about 18 months ago and looked well short of what was required. Sadly, there wasn't much difference yesterday. The ball bounced off him all day and he was drawn into a wrestling match with the centre backs.

Kane showed much more game intelligence when he came on. In an ideal world, the pair of them are third and fourth choice strikers but with our budget, that might need to be second and third.

The manager has said finding a striker is his priority this summer and whilst it's not the only area that needs strengthened, it's reassuring to know we should hopefully see a new starting striker for next season. 

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

Kane showed much more game intelligence when he came on. 

This. 

I'm pretty harsh on Kane but the difference yesterday was telling, although it coincided a bit with St Mirren opening up more. Within minutes of coming on he absolutely rattled a defender on the left flank and won a free kick in a dangerous position, not sure that's something Hendry managed.

Ideally Hendry would have a season in the Championship, I think.

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

Happy Gretna day everyone.

Piece of history too: maybe the last time fans relied on those with radios to tell them the score? iPhone went on sale two months later.  It was a surreal experience, thinking back on it, that collective wave of silence that spread through the crowd.

40 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

There were at least 2 or 3 false roars from our crowd that day, one good thing about the prevalence of smart phones is it’s much quicker to substantiate any ‘so and so have scored,’ claims. 

Great and vivid memories of that game, and that season in general. First time since I was 8 years old in ‘99 that there was much excitement around Saints. Rangers away, Dundee United at home, Motherwell away, semi final v Celtic, semi final v Hibs, Falkirk away. Even the league had some cracking games near the end of the season, 2-1 v Gretna, 1-0 at Clyde. All culminating in abject disappointment when our football for the season was already finished. 

Funnily enough, Motherwell in the Scottish Cup semi final and Aberdeen in the League Cup semi final a few years later hurt much more for me. 

Really? That Gretna game was harrowing. In both those semi-finals we were out before half-time, so there was never a plunge from excitement to despair. That allowed me to look for the tiny compensations: meeting decent Motherwell fans in the first game and the atmosphere at Tynecastle in the second. A great choice of semi-final venue.

Edited by Mr Heliums

38 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

There were at least 2 or 3 false roars from our crowd that day, one good thing about the prevalence of smart phones is it’s much quicker to substantiate any ‘so and so have scored,’ claims. 

Great and vivid memories of that game, and that season in general. First time since I was 8 years old in ‘99 that there was much excitement around Saints. Rangers away, Dundee United at home, Motherwell away, semi final v Celtic, semi final v Hibs, Falkirk away. Even the league had some cracking games near the end of the season, 2-1 v Gretna, 1-0 at Clyde. All culminating in abject disappointment when our football for the season was already finished. 

Funnily enough, Motherwell in the Scottish Cup semi final and Aberdeen in the League Cup semi final a few years later hurt much more for me. 

Motherwell Semi was a weird one, I can barely remember being there, didn't actually feel overly upset as it just felt completely predictable.

Gretna ruined me, barely spoke for the few days after that. Left the Aberdeen semi early, cant remember exactly when now, but it felt worse than the Motherwell too, as it felt like we actually played alright but every single time Aberdeen attacked they scored.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Left the Aberdeen semi early, cant remember exactly when now, but it felt worse than the Motherwell too, as it felt like we actually played alright but every single time Aberdeen attacked they scored.

That game put me off football for a while :lol:

2 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Piece of history too: maybe the last time fans relied on those with radios to tell them the score?

How true is that! 

Despite what David Irons claimed (and I'll never forget him saying it) there was no celebrating at NDP and, from memory, it was eerily silent. 

I think inside I certainly didn't expect a Gretna goal and it was a body blow when word came through they had. 

The season as a whole was a great one but the success we've had since probably means that because of the way it ended, it's kind of overlooked when folk think back. 

We did win the league at Somerset Park on this day in 1990 though. 

IMG_20190428_085308.thumb.jpg.2ca7a5ab17ba54a4ca0873d7620a434d.jpg

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

there was no celebrating at NDP and, from memory, it was eerily silent. . 

I can just remember standing next to my dad, watching the players mulling about on the pitch, then people started leaving further down the stand, and word eventually reached me thanks to some grumpy c**t behind me calling Saints shite.

Doubt we'll experience anything like that ever again.

Edited by RandomGuy.

17 minutes ago, Radford said:

How true is that! 

Despite what David Irons claimed (and I'll never forget him saying it) there was no celebrating at NDP and, from memory, it was eerily silent. 

I think inside I certainly didn't expect a Gretna goal and it was a body blow when word came through they had. 

The season as a whole was a great one but the success we've had since probably means that because of the way it ended, it's kind of overlooked when folk think back. 

That was a great day. No real tension, just a celebration. Was it 2-0 or 3-0?  Didn't we take 2-3000 down there as well?

The Aberdeen league cup semi was horrendous. I think a few Saints fans felt that was it, it was just never going to happen with all the semi final disappointment. Probably fortunate we had the chance to put it right so soon afterwards.

The Aberdeen semi final is the worst football experience I've had. Game a write off, soaking wet from the horizontal rain and our bus back up the road leaving over an hour late because a few dicks from Pitlochry went to the pub instead of going back to the bus. c***s wouldn't leave them behind. Never hanging about with those pesky Pitlochry Saints again!

This is the first season since I started supporting Saints that I've not been to a game! Glad County have been promoted though. Missed our Highland games. 

The goals from the game at Somerset Park. @PauloPerth

The PA report stated that "the vast majority of the 5,000" had made their way from Perth. 

I was in the ground early doors for the Aberdeen semi-final and the roar where their team came out to warm up told me we had no chance. It was possibly the loudest noise I've ever heard in a football ground during the game but none of it was in our favour. Great venue but in terms of progression, a scenario like that will always work against us. 

I was unfortunately responsible for one of those false roars. I was tuned in to Radio Scotland. The pundit said ‘’Goal at Ross County’’. I thought he said ‘’Goal FOR Ross County.’’ A shameful moment.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

How true is that! 

I'm in that photo