Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

31 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Would anyone be surprised if the window shut and we just went with Kane,McMillan and hendry 

Yes.

And even if we did, I imagine that'll be because we missed out on targets, it's not as if TW isnt planning on getting another one in.

FWIW with the attacking wingers we have, we probably shouldn't actually need a 15 goals striker. MOH, Wright, Kennedy and Swanson should all be chipping in with over 5 goals each.

As well as the return of Drey, there's a hopefully back to full fitness  Michael O'Halloran who can destroy most of the sides in this league single handedly on his day.  You've also got Swanson capable of the same.

We went without left back cover last season, be surprised if we're going to do the same again now that Easton's off the books, unless Tommy is content with moving Foster across.  I'm not entirely convinced we've seen the last of Shaughnessy either.

Be interesting to see if McCann or McLean emerge as first team starters. Other than a mini-spell  with a few goals for Blair after which he was unlucky not to feature, are we really much weaker in centre mid with the two young lads instead of Goss and Alston, going on last season's overall contribution?

If we get Zander fixed up for a few extra years, a back up left back and a good quality striker, and no starters (Kerr/ Clark) leave, I think I'll be fine with that.

Genuinely, which teams in this league have the depth of attacking quality Kennedy, Wright, MOH and Swanson provide?  Outwith The OF, given the chance to swap those 4 with any 4 attacking/ wide players from any other single club, I dont think I would.

Are St Johnstone playing a weak side today?

Saints IX so I’d suggest it’s a weekend side and youngsters. The main squad flies to Ireland tomorrow, so doubt any of them are going to be playing today if that’s the case.

20 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Are St Johnstone playing a weak side today?

Time lines aren't out, but a journalist there seems to be suggesting its virtually a colt side.

Our official Twitter hasnt acknowledged the game is even happening, which is probably an answer to your question.

Half an hour after the first pre-season friendly, which seems to be our U18s losing to Edinburgh City, and WAP already has someone complaining about the result and poor performance.

A new record.

No sure there was much earth-shattering in the Sportsound podcast but about as lengthy an opportunity as we get to listen to the manager. Some of the main points:

• Wallace and Duffy were done back in May but they held off announcing them. 
  • Left back in the next five to seven days (from when interview was recorded) and two trialists (defenders) going to Ireland. Looking for young defenders. 
  • Cutting the squad back by 4 or 5 players so he's running with 24 senior professionals, then the 5 or so from the reserves last season that he wants to see all go out on loan. 
  • Paying for more quality which is why he's cutting numbers, both because of the finances and the fact he has the extra quality makes him think he doesn't need as many. 
  • Development of young players very much seems like it's going to involve loans, loans and more loans. Another two close to going out on top of Munro and O'Reilly. 
  • Seems to be more driven now by longevity at Saints than getting a move. Says he still wants to be here in six or seven years. 

There was plenty more I've missed/forgotten, so it's worth a listen:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07fkk3w

Edited by Radford

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

• Cutting the squad back by 4 or 5 players so he's running with 24 senior professionals, then the 5 or so from the reserves last season that he wants to see all go out on loan. 

On 28/06/2019 at 12:00, Kyle said:

Goalkeepers

1. Zander Clark (27) -2020

12. Elliot Parish (29) - 2021

45. Ross Sinclair (18) - 2021

Defenders

19. Richard Foster (33) - 2020

2. Wallace Duffy (20) -2021

6. Steven Anderson (33) - 2020 

23. Liam Gordon (23) - 2021

15. Jason Kerr (22) - 2022

3. Scott Tanser (24) - 2021

Midfielders

7. Drey Wright (24) - 2020

10. David Wotherspoon (29) - 2021

8. Murray Davidson (31) - 2020 + 1

28. Ross Callachan (25) - 2020

26. Liam Craig (32) - 2020

20. Kyle McClean (20) - 2020

18. Ali McCann (19) - 2020  

33. Matty Kennedy (24) - 2020

11. Danny Swanson (32) - 2020

Forwards

16. David McMillan (30) - 2020

9. Chris Kane (24) - 2020

17. Michael O'Halloran (28) - 2021

22. Callum Hendry (21) - 2020 

Obviously just guesswork that Kyle's squad doesn't include any of the players he wants to loan out, but that leaves two spots. One would be the left back.

This whole window focusing solely on a striker can only be a positive? No distractions or anything, just a complete focused hunt for one.

28 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Sounds good to me, puts more expectations on senior players to perform and youngsters to take their chances when presented. Every player should thrive in that situation, we'll soon see who has the minerals and who doesn't. 

Think the young players (Duffy, McCann, McLean) will get much run out in the cup?

Haven't heard the podcast, but from @Radford's summary, I'm also very much in favour of the points outlined.  

Less squad fillers, even better quality on the park, and a real opportunity for younger players. The loan system has always been a great way to develop our better young players, and we've used it well over the last few years.

3 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Gauld released, not heard what he is up to - could be worth a punt? 

Would have agreed in previous seasons as he fits the bill of a Tommy Wright signing in terms of being a talented player whose career has stalled.

But I'd say this season we have attacking wide players in abundance, it's probably where we're strongest, so can't see it. And even playing centrally off the front you've got both Kennedy and Swanson who can play there.

Centre forward still the big priority.

For me hes taking a big gamble with just 24,needs to be lucky with injuries and suspensions in the second half of the season.

Why you can only play with 11 at a time and if all for, there’s 6 senior guys sitting in the stands at any one time.