Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just seen the TW to Ibrox story on BBC. Would be a great signing for Rangers IMO.

Would be interesting to see how you guys would be affected if he goes.

I'd be surprised if they wanted to pay the compensation required, fairly sure he got a hefty wage after all the United rumours.

No idea how we'd cope without him, everyone assumes Davidson will take over. I'm sure he took charge when TW was ill but I can't remember the score or how we played.

Ive had a feeling TWs desire to make sure every key player is signed up for next season is to help the transition of manager, as I'm not convinced he believes he'll be here next season. I'm maybe miles off though.

Obviously if Tommy was staying at Saints he wouldn't want to be signing up key players. Mair absolute shite from BawbagGuy.

That wasn't my point, but please, continue trying to insult me.

This is definitely going to be the minority view, but I wouldn't mind if Tommy left. He's been incredibly successful, is a club legend and I'm certainly not advocating him being chased, but I wouldn't mind seeing a different style of play at McDiarmid. A bit more excitement wouldn't go  amiss, and getting away from the Paul Paton style of signing would be grand too. I'd love to see us take a few risks in the transfer market and for us to add an enigmatic figure or two to the ranks. 

I can't see him going to rangers and I'll obviously be happy to see him in charge going into next season and beyond. Another first time manager cutting their teeth and trying to impress with the majority of this squad as the backbone of the team would be good fun though. 

3 hours ago, Daydream said:

Just seen the TW to Ibrox story on BBC. Would be a great signing for Rangers IMO.

Would be interesting to see how you guys would be affected if he goes.

Yes He would be a good signing for them .They are pretty skint at the moment and he is used to working within tight budgets.I think he would take the rangers job but if he has any real ambition he should be looking to go to a good championship side in England .

Edited by LANG TOON SAINTIE

This is definitely going to be the minority view, but I wouldn't mind if Tommy left. He's been incredibly successful, is a club legend and I'm certainly not advocating him being chased, but I wouldn't mind seeing a different style of play at McDiarmid. A bit more excitement wouldn't go  amiss, and getting away from the Paul Paton style of signing would be grand too. I'd love to see us take a few risks in the transfer market and for us to add an enigmatic figure or two to the ranks. 
I can't see him going to rangers and I'll obviously be happy to see him in charge going into next season and beyond. Another first time manager cutting their teeth and trying to impress with the majority of this squad as the backbone of the team would be good fun though. 

Do you think Steve Brown would allow risks in the transfer market?

Yes He would be a good signing for them .They are pretty skint at the moment and he is used to working within tight budgets.I think he would take the rangers job but if he has any real ambition he should be looking to go to a good championship side in England .

Yes, exactly. McLeish did fine with mega bucks to splurge but was found out down south with a relatively small budget.

TW could use Rangers as a stepping stone to bigger things in the English Championship :)

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

This is definitely going to be the minority view, but I wouldn't mind if Tommy left.

He deserves a bit of money for the success he's given Saints, but like you, for various reasons, I wouldn't be upset if he left – particularly as he'd do it on his own terms. I just wish his own terms didn't include slavering over Rangers and their 'history'. 

Won't happen though – Rangers need someone to sell season tickets for next year and Tommy isn't it.

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

Aren't you just happy dining at the top table ? If Wright left you would probably drop through the divisions like a stone in water.

47 minutes ago, CupidStunt1875 said:

Aren't you just happy dining at the top table ? If Wright left you would probably drop through the divisions like a stone in water.

It's going to happen whether or not Tommy was to stay – it always will to a club our size. I don't think we're as good as we were last year; and last year we weren't as good as the year before. League positions will eventually reflect that decline and I don't see anything to arrest it, although our stability will slow it down. If a new manager were to come in, I'd like one with a long-term plan – for all Tommy's plus points, that's something I don't really see evidence of.

I do wonder if the gap between ourselves and teams below us has closed due to improvements in other teams as much as a slow decline in our performances. Killie finished 11th last season with the same amount of wins as we currently have and obviously United were miles behind in points and performance. The disparity between 12th and 5th this year is much closer and I think it's as much to do with other teams being steadier across the board.

22 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

I do wonder if the gap between ourselves and teams below us has closed due to improvements in other teams as much as a slow decline in our performances.

I don't know about other clubs' improvements. The only two measures I can use is a sense of how well we play (I can't remember it being quite this ugly in previous years, perhaps because we have no pace now). And player-for player- when measured against our 2013 or 2014 seasons I don't think our replacements are as good and the players who are still here (eg Millar, Easton, Wotherspoon – even Anderson) aren't playing either as well or as consistently as they were then.

We're still just as tough to beat, but I hope I'm being pessimistic when I say the cracks are beginning to show.

I'm often particularly pessimistic. I still worry that with a few bad results we could be dragged back down, as unlikely as that could be. That said, when I looked at our starting 11 for the defeat to Thistle I actually thought that's as strong as we've looked for quite a while. Without stating the blindingly obvious, the only thing counting against these players is Age.