Group E

Smurph

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd expect some more 'rotation' of the squad on Saturday. Lawless will almost certainly drop out I'd imagine along with probably Doolan, lindsay and possibly booth. Cerny might get a run out too I suppose

Oh well. Stenny were well beaten by a superior Partick Thistle side at Ochilview tonight, no complaints whatsoever. Things looked a little uncomfortable for the visitors when Liam McCrory stabbed home a very well-taken half-volley from the edge of the area to make it 2-1 but two late goals added the gloss to scoreline. I don't think the game really warrants much in terms of analysis. It was what it was.

Excellent entertainment.

we deserved to be one up but looked lost at 1-3. Two corkers for Airdrie in quick succession but for the third goal, the ball looked out before it was crossed. Linesman missing in action. I don't think these guys have a clue when they're meant to signal.

A superb QP comeback to 3-3 and we could even have sneaked it at the end. Encouragingly we looked stronger as the game went on.

Bradley superb, Miller outstanding but overworked. Great for the hard-working Malone to score a cracker on his Hampden debut.

Bollocks

I'm mistaken. It was a really close encounter and we were lucky to get the 3 points.

Should be a comfortable win on saturday in the Ricky Little derby. The SPFL may as well bring the trophy along and hand us it after the match.

One round of games to go for most teams, and the path for Queens to get to the knockout stages is beginning to become clearer.

There are various scenarios where Queens could scrape through without beating Stenhousemuir, but they're all pretty unlikely, so we'll leave them to one side. If Queens beat Stenny in normal time on Saturday they'll have nine points and a goal difference of at least +4.

That being the case they'll finish second in the group with a better record than the runners-up in groups A and B. They'll need to find two other runners-up to finish above to progress. Some of the more likely scenarios for this include:

Kilmarnock failing to do three goals better at home to Albion Rovers than Queens do against Stenny.

St Mirren failing to do four goals better at home to Edinburgh City than Queens do against Stenny.

Queens doing one goal better against Stenny than Motherwell do away to Stranraer.

Alloa either beating Raith (normal time or pens), OR Raith winning by enough to create a Alloa > Queens five goal swing.

If two of those things happen, then a win against Stenny will see Queens through.

There are also several scenarios where Queens could finish above the runners-up of group C although it's the most complicated and with the Dundee Utd v Dunfermline game not until Sunday it's probably not worth going there unless the whole thing is still in the balance on Saturday evening.

Smashing game at Hampden last night and one that vindicates the format. There's no way a friendly would have been played with the same intensity. We scored Airdrie, but were floored by two very quick Airdrie goals and didn't recover until Gus had a word at half-time, by which time they'd added a third. From an Airdrie point of view, they scored three excellent goals. However, from our perspective we should have been doing better at the second and third goals. We stood off on both occasions and made it easier for them, but you have to credit the clinical finishing. I feared for us at half-time. We looked a bit punch drunk and they had their tails up and looked like scoring more.

Thought we were terrific in the second half. We looked more organised and were winning the majority of 50-50s and played some nice stuff at times. Malone's goal was terrific and he looked like a guy who'll work hard and link up well. Was also impressed by Darren Miller in pre-season and he carried his form on, looking very much like a guy with a point to prove. Outstanding save from the Airdrie keeper to deny him a peach of a half volley. The third goal was very soft from an Airdrie point of view, but Sean Burns showed great composure to slot it away. Felt it could have gone either way at that point and the draw was about right. Airdrie got away with it a wee bit with the penalty slithering under Murphy. These things happen when the conditions are that wet. Slippery ball can make the keeper look foolish, but he did fine over the whole game.

Saw enough from us to suggest what I already suspected. We'll be no mugs this season and will certainly be competitive in the league. Very pleased with last night, considering we had four new faces in the starting line up and two 17 year olds fielded during the game. We were also missing Mitchell, McLeish, Brady, McKernon and Carter, who you'd expect to be either in or on the fringes of the first team squad. Very encouraged by the squad Gus has put together and cautiously optimistic that we can stay in the league, although I'm under no illusions as to how tough it'll be.

Queen of the South was tough, so Thistle should be even tougher. Hopefully we can make it interesting and give a good account of ourselves. Will be a good day out and should be a decent away support. Here's a look at the highlights from last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pCk4EC_h18

Archived