Edinburgh City

Disappointing but not surprising.  I did think that things were starting to turn around over the last couple of games but 2 points from our first 8 games was just not good enough.

He’ll still be remembered as a legend at City, thanks to guiding us through the play-offs into League One and for proving the critics wrong by being in the Championship play-off spots for  most of last season.

That night in Annan is still the best feeling I’ve ever had at a football match.

Edited by Bay Citizen

Just now, Bay Citizen said:

That night in Annan is still the best feeling I’ve ever had a football match.

Funnily enough I'd agree with that. I've been a bit of a football magpie during my life and have been following City for less than 5 years. I've have seen my 'other' clubs teams win (and lose) at Hampden and Wembley. 

But that night at Annan with a couple of hundred City fans was just magical. 

Thanks Alan, for the memories. 

Maybury was perhaps a little unfortunate in the end. City seemed to be very unlucky not to beat Cove - coming close to going 3-1 up before losing a late equaliser, and while Alloa were the better side on Saturday, City might still have won that game. Back to back wins and his situation would have been looking much brighter. 

He's probably a good example of a manager who should have tried to jump when his stock was high. He did a really terrific job coming in during the season and then getting City up through the play-offs. His budget last season was obviously a bit better than many expected but he used it well and had the team overachieving for much of the season, despite tricky circumstances around the club. Shame for him he didn't get a move then. Things are clearly still not ideal off the park and budget probably smaller and some key men away, it was always going to be a lot tougher and no real surprise it's been a struggle, although I'm sure City fans will say they should still have been doing better than they are. 

Overall though seemed (from a distance) to be a manager who used his budget well, fostered a good team spirit and improved players, all within a rather challenging situation. Will be interesting to see what he does next. 

18 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Maybury gone.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/edinburgh-city-part-ways-with-manager-alan-maybury-after-poor-start-to-the-season-4357880

Must admit thought City looked pretty decent against us and fancied you to get something against Alloa. A draw not a bad result at the Recs but I'm guessing what preceded those last 2 results was always going to be challenging to come back from.

Mark Kerr to take over. Think that will be permanent or temporary?

Yogi. Definitely Yogi. If he's snubbed for the Gers job... 

Edinburgh City do look to be circling the drain unfortunately. Would be no surprise to seem them back in regional non league in a few years. Seems a pity after so many worked so hard to get the club in the league. However royally shafted by the city council who don't seem terribly interested in having a league club as a tenant. Hope some solutions can be found, it has been really great having the name back in the leagues.

I remember as a small kid in the early 80s seeing "Edinburgh City" in league historical records- usually bottom of the table every season in the thirties- and back then the name seemed as dead as St. Bernard's, Solway Star, and so on.

13 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Edinburgh City do look to be circling the drain unfortunately. Would be no surprise to seem them back in regional non league in a few years. Seems a pity after so many worked so hard to get the club in the league. However royally shafted by the city council who don't seem terribly interested in having a league club as a tenant. Hope some solutions can be found, it has been really great having the name back in the leagues.

I remember as a small kid in the early 80s seeing "Edinburgh City" in league historical records- usually bottom of the table every season in the thirties- and back then the name seemed as dead as St. Bernard's, Solway Star, and so on.

I think the stories of our impending demise have been greatly exaggerated, we've just had a really poor start to the season.  If we do go down (and to be honest the new manager has an uphill struggle to avoid it), I expect that we'll still be competitive in League 2 and around for some time yet (fingers crossed). 

On Meadowbank however, that just doesn't seem like a long term arrangement to me anymore.

13 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

15 minutes ago, Bay Citizen said:

I think the stories of our impending demise have been greatly exaggerated, we've just had a really poor start to the season.  If we do go down (and to be honest the new manager has an uphill struggle to avoid it), I expect that we'll still be competitive in League 2 and around for some time yet (fingers crossed). 

On Meadowbank however, that just doesn't seem like a long term arrangement to me anymore.

For all I'm not particularly optimistic about things here (as noted above, the lack of any interest whatsoever from Edinburgh Council and the huge challenges at Meadowbank) I still think we can stabilise in League 2. Obviously lots of factors to consider but I don't quite see us tumbling all the way down (famous last words and all that).

52 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

In the words of that old p***k Alex Cameron I have the new manager's name in a sealed envelope in my desk drawer

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

It's not Yogi.... :P

Interested to see who pitches up for City. Will you opt for an experienced head who's been there, seen it and can salvage L1 status or someone relatively new to management, fresh ideas, local and more for the long term.

It's a tough position to come in to but it's very possible to turn it around. No disrespect to Annan but there defence at times made ours look spectacular. For me the league isn't that strong out-with the top two who have quality and depth.

Sure McIntyre would like a way back after having us fairly stable in 8th in the Championship. I wouldn't recommend him although there might be worse out there. Another old head, and a Jim, is McInally. He undoubtedly has strong contacts in the game, an eye for players and could do a job at Meadowbank.

There are other experienced Scottish managers sitting on the hands, like of Dodds, McCann, McCall, Thomson but I suspect they are holding out for at least a top of L1 / Championship side. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

16 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Sadly, I think you maybe right ✅

IF we stay at Meadowbank much longer, then we're going to sink back down to the Lowland league.

Currently, that's probably were we deserve to be!

There's No chance of increasing support at Meadowbank, and in fact it's a battle to even retain the small support we have!

What can we do though?

Not Many alternatives out there.

As for the new manager, TAM I think jokingly said Yogi Hughes, but he's exactly what we need just now, or at least a tough guy like him.

Edited by Tenkay

1 hour ago, Tenkay said:

Sadly, I think you maybe right ✅

IF we stay at Meadowbank much longer, then we're going to sink back down to the Lowland league.

Currently, that's probably were we deserve to be!

There's No chance of increasing support at Meadowbank, and in fact it's a battle to even retain the small support we have!

What can we do though?

Not Many alternatives out there.

As for the new manager, TAM I think jokingly said Yogi Hughes, but he's exactly what we need just now, or at least a tough guy like him.

Sadly it's not Yogi 

It's someone who's gonna cause a bit of a stir so brace ya selves. That's all I know. Well, I know there could be an announcement tonight or tomorrow morning 

4 hours ago, Bay Citizen said:

Off the pitch they aren't exaggerated mate. I think we are bang in trouble and that's mainly down to being at Meadowbank. 

We've got no front of shirt sponsor, a tiny budget, no merchandise available whatsoever. 

We really are in trouble if we don't get out of Meadowbank by end of the season tops. If we can't get out of there the only way we will survive as a club will be in League 2 and that's probably being very generous. If a monumental change/Stroke of luck doesn't happen, regardless of what we do on the park, we as a club are going down into free fall. And that's with everybody trying their hardest which they are. Owners hands are tied behind their backs big time. Its such a shame. 

Praying for a miracle we can leave Meadowbank 

38 minutes ago, Good Citizen Bad Citizen said:

Off the pitch they aren't exaggerated mate. I think we are bang in trouble and that's mainly down to being at Meadowbank. 

We've got no front of shirt sponsor, a tiny budget, no merchandise available whatsoever. 

We really are in trouble if we don't get out of Meadowbank by end of the season tops. If we can't get out of there the only way we will survive as a club will be in League 2 and that's probably being very generous. If a monumental change/Stroke of luck doesn't happen, regardless of what we do on the park, we as a club are going down into free fall. And that's with everybody trying their hardest which they are. Owners hands are tied behind their backs big time. Its such a shame. 

Praying for a miracle we can leave Meadowbank 

I think you will be out of Meadowbank eventually apparently a lot of SPFL sides have complained about it.

18 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

I think you will be out of Meadowbank eventually apparently a lot of SPFL sides have complained about it.

I did  wonder about that actually. Never quite sure how it was passed as fit for purpose. Don't think the criteria is overly strict but other than floodlights, dressing rooms and somewhere for the officials to change it must be non-existent! 

I can't see where else City would play that'd be up to SPFL standard unless they went back to Ainslie Park which would mean a three way groundshare as Hutchie Vale are still playing there. In hindsight the club missed a trick not taking up residence at Meggetland which is now a fully licensed SFA ground. I