France vs Scotland

We are running around trying to find solutions to our own problems we were told to follow the Dutch example of bringing players through then it was following the German version now we are looking at Icelands system. The fairly obvious problem is teams especially in the premiership don't give youngsters the opportunity to play first team football because they are scared of being relegated and losing out on the old firm cash cow,then we have a prehistoric sfa/SPFL that ignore the fans demand for changing the league structure. Our problems are so deep routed I personally don't see anything improving until we see a proper revolution in Scottish football we are just happy to plod along with the status quo.

That statements about five years out of date. Its fairly obvious almost every club is now moving towards youth. We've spent almost as much on our youth set up as the first team lately, have two under 23s we brought through now starting for us. While the likes of County, Thistle and Motherwell are all making massive strides towards it as well.

Ive said it before and ill say it again, International football for smaller nations is cyclical, we'll always have decades of moving between being shite, average and brilliant.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been lucky enough to travel and live in many countries with my job. But the most striking thing I have witnessed is the amount of kids, youth and grassroots clubs taking part in football across the United Kingdom EXCEPT in Scotland. Wales almost every youth team my kid could have joined had 3 teams of that year group and it's the same in Northern Ireland. They have 1st, 2nds, 3rds across the board to accommodate everyone who wants to play. Participation and the amount who do is key to having better players in the future. I stated before on here met a dinosaur who was part of the SFA when I was on a course and we got chatting about football. I raised the issue that not enough gets done. He asked for example I said about the huge participation in Wales N. IRELAND, and England. His response was it's not about how many kids play it's about finding the best 1s. My jaw was on the floor.

Aye and that was the same when I played youth football too.

The fairly obvious problem is teams especially in the premiership don't give youngsters the opportunity to play first team football because they are scared of being relegated and losing out on the old firm cash cow,

That will be why Kilmarnock played 5 Scottish players under the age of 23 in an actual relegation play off. What is it about Scotland games that attract such moronic views?

Zero shots on target in two entire games is utterly appalling. I was in favour of giving Strachan a further chance, however his recent comments show he's losing the plot. I would certainly be asking him what he thinks telling the players they are too scared to play football is going to achieve.

Throwing young players in who aren't ready isn't going to achieve anything, realistically getting pumped in five international games a season isn't going to improve them much. However I would agree playing Greer is utterly ludicrous. Martin and Hanley are going to be our centre back pairing, so surely you want them to play together against a decent side. We are dreadful defensively so surely we should be trying to give our first choice back four as much time together as possible.

If we can't organise ourselves at set pieces we might as well give up, teams like us can't afford to leak goals from corners. Absolute basics. Against Poland at home if we weren't so defensively naive we would have won that game, wingers left the full backs exposed time and time again.

Who?

Clark and Kane can both be described as first team players now. Clark was first choice by the end of the season, and Kane played over 30 games. We also had a 23 year old as a regular in our backline.

Ah. I never thought of Clark. I'd hardly describe either as 'starting' tbh.

It looks like Clark will be starting next season as first choice anyway, as he ended this season as it. 

Kanes not really a starter, but hes definitely able to be classed as a regular. Theres absolutely no fear to start him due to his age though.

Anyway, clearly all we have to do to improve is put every 10 year old in the Country into a seven day training regime, put them all straight into the first team and have Cathro as manager/youth development trainer/god of all living things.

Anyway, clearly all we have to do to improve is put every 10 year old in the Country into a seven day training regime, put them all straight into the first team and have Cathro as manager/youth development trainer/god of all living things.

You've missed out signing a foreign manager.

And nae chippies for the young team

The fairly obvious problem is teams especially in the premiership don't give youngsters the opportunity to play first team football because they are scared of being relegated and losing out on the old firm cash cow,.

Well that's clearly bullshit. Two of our starting regulars (Lindsay and Bannigan) are under 23 and have came through our youth system. There's a few others that didn't come through our system but are below 23 and get good game time (Edwards and Fraser) and others who hsve been bit-part players (Nisbet, Nesbitt, Muirhead, Scully). Other players (Lawless, Welsh, Elliott) have been regulars for us since they were 20/21 also.

Pretty sure all Premjership clubs could make the same argument.

By the time a player reaches 23 he should have a good couple of 100 games under his belt. It's players round about the age of 17/18 that a lot of teams in the top flight are struggling to give game time to. Most either sit on the bench or get loaned out to teams in lower leagues. We have craig Sibbald whose just turned 21 and has played over 200 games for our first team. Alston whose just moved on has also played over 200. The likes of Kingsley and arfield before were regulars when they were 17/18, we didn't wait till they were 23. A lot of the area youth academys need to do better too. You've got a Highland youth academy for example that's hardly produced a decent player and yet it's been going for the same time as falkirk. There must be something far wrong there when Ryan Christie apart you struggle to name any talent up there that's moved on to any really big side.

Well that's clearly bullshit. Two of our starting regulars (Lindsay and Bannigan) are under 23 and have came through our youth system. There's a few others that didn't come through our system but are below 23 and get good game time (Edwards and Fraser) and others who hsve been bit-part players (Nisbet, Nesbitt, Muirhead, Scully). Other players (Lawless, Welsh, Elliott) have been regulars for us since they were 20/21 also.

Pretty sure all Premjership clubs could make the same argument.

If you look at every Premiership club, and look at the U24s who've played in, or around, 20 or more games, it looks like this...

Aberdeen - 4 (Ward, Shinnie, Jack, McLean)

Celtic - (Simunovic, Sviatchenko, Tierney, Biton, Armstrong, Rogic, Forrest, McGregor)

Dundee - (Bain, Holt, Ross, Low, Wighton)

Dundee United - 7 (Souttar, Durnan, Donaldson, Fraser, Spittal, Dow, Murray)

Hamilton - 7 (Gordon, Devlin, Crawford, Gillespie, Docherty, Morris, Brophy)

Hearts - 8 (Souttar, Paterson, Ozturk, McGhee, Walker, Nicholson, King, Reilly)

Inverness - (Meekings, Wedderburn, Devine, Christie, Polworth, Horner, Storey)

Kilmarnock - (O'Hara, McHattie, Ashcroft, Findlay, Slater, McKenzie, Kiltie)

Motherwell - (Ripley, Chalmers, Laing, Kennedy, Hall, Thomas, Grimshaw, Cadden, Moult)

Partick Thistle - (Lindsay, Bannigan, Edwards)

Ross County - 5 (Fraser, Reckord, Irvine, McShane, Schalk)

St Johnstone - (Fisher, Shaughnessy, Kane)

And thats ignoring the swathes of 25 year olds around. 

I do remember him tearing Dundee to shreds in a Scottish Cup quarter final.

If we were basing all players in one off games, I'd have had a cap to my name. I too played good one game.

Unless there's a massive sea-change with regards the mentality of those actually administering the game then we'll simply continue as is.

Same was being said 25 years ago when we were still qualifying for things. It's a wee bit late.

By the time a player reaches 23 he should have a good couple of 100 games under his belt. It's players round about the age of 17/18 that a lot of teams in the top flight are struggling to give game time to. Most either sit on the bench or get loaned out to teams in lower leagues. We have craig Sibbald whose just turned 21 and has played over 200 games for our first team. Alston whose just moved on has also played over 200. The likes of Kingsley and arfield before were regulars when they were 17/18, we didn't wait till they were 23. A lot of the area youth academys need to do better too. You've got a Highland youth academy for example that's hardly produced a decent player and yet it's been going for the same time as falkirk. There must be something far wrong there when Ryan Christie apart you struggle to name any talent up there that's moved on to any really big side.

Sibbald for Scotland.

It's not just been the one game though, he has been arguably our best player this season.

He looked very comfortable against both the champions of Scotland and a top six team when he was up against them this season and is a Scottish Premiership player as im sure he will prove this season coming. We're you complaining before the Denmark game about John McGinn's call up for last year when Paterson of Hearts was called up?

Yes.

I find Strachan's comments hard to fathom, frankly.  To suggest the players did well against France is ridiculous.  His team selections stank of cowardice.  Scotland have gone backwards and I think he may be starting to work his ticket.

That seems to tally with Brian MClair's findings that there are far too many kids in the academy setup, comparable to other countries who perform well.

Depends on the context of what you're meaning of course. If you mean in general terms then both the amount of kids and finding the best is vital.

You make Brian McClair sound far more professional than he is.  Findings?  He hasn't done the slightest bit of work since he got here.  Plenty of empty rhetoric - praising the Largs set up, etc - but I've never seen anyone so patently out of their depth as him.

Archived