Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Interesting post, buddy, and a good read.  I know nothing about Mark Allen but his background both in football and 'the media' marks him out from the general idea of a DoF.

Just a guess but probably likely he's going to take on a higher roll at the club in the future. Right now it would be all about building the recruitment structure and sourcing the right people for the right job including players and coaching staff and maybe take on a more hands on roll than the DoF position suggests.

There was a discussion on this subject around about the time McCall was in charge, I remember a few names thrown around by the media. I'd imagine this was all halted with the appointment of Warburton who didn't want to work with a DoF.

Most of their best players DO play abroad....cause they can.  How many Scots play abroad?
The Liga MX Champs got beaten 2-1 by Barcelona away....what was our champs result?
Their TV audience is over 10 times ours.
Their national team is 9th in the world, ours is 61st.
Rangers sign 2 from their international side.........must be shite of course.

I'm glad you're convinced. Pedro and his Govan Galacticos should scoosh the league next season.

23 minutes ago, CityDave said:

An interesting article in the Herald on the appointment of Mark Allen as Director of Football at Rangers.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15355538.Matthew_Lindsay__Forget_Bruno_Alves__Dalcio_or_Ryan_Jack__Mark_Allen_will_be_Rangers__39__best_summer_signing/

Gatecrashing put the beers in the fridge,Shirley it only complicates things if it goes tits up like at hearts does the director of footie become infallible?

Just now, CityDave said:

Just a guess but probably likely he's going to take on a higher roll at the club in the future. Right now it would be all about building the recruitment structure and sourcing the right people for the right job including players and coaching staff and maybe take on a more hands on roll than the DoF position suggests.

There was a discussion on this subject around about the time McCall was in charge, I remember a few names thrown around by the media. I'd imagine this was all halted with the appointment of Warburton who didn't want to work with a DoF.

Interesting post and, of course, I haven't an answer.  My hope is that the DoF instils a whole-club policy both for recruitment and for playing-style/tactics/succession.  I expect Allen and Pedro to fit together well here and to be in synch with Murty and Mulholland at Auchenhowie.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Gatecrashing put the beers in the fridge,Shirley it only complicates things if it goes tits up like at hearts does the director of footie become infallible?

Has it gone tits up at Hearts? Momentum has reversed on the pitch so last season was a disappointment, but is the club more stable now than it was this time three years ago?

Are you in favour of having a DoF at a football club, not about Rangers in particular but about this position generally?

At Celtic you have a slightly different structure, granted it probably works for Celtic maybe because you have the right people and a good solid structure built up over years, but its not for every club just like a DoF isn't for every club either.

6 minutes ago, CityDave said:

Has it gone tits up at Hearts? Momentum has reversed on the pitch so last season was a disappointment, but is the club more stable now than it was this time three years ago?

Are you in favour of having a DoF at a football club, not about Rangers in particular but about this position generally?

This depends so much on the remit/ terms of reference.  I've already stated my take.  I don't fully understand the Cathro/Avril situation and Hearts, though.

6 minutes ago, CityDave said:

At Celtic you have a slightly different structure, granted it probably works for Celtic maybe because you have the right people and a good solid structure built up over years, but its not for every club just like a DoF isn't for every club either.

Football is a results driven business so when it goes wrong the finger gets pointed
I agree a DOF isn't for every club but if it's not working top to bottom or bottom to top do you change the structure or point the finger at one individual
Cathro has already came out and said it's a joint decision but does that mean if Cathro goes Craig levein has to go (just an example)?

8 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

The DOF role at rangers should be very straight forward. The philosophy hasn't really changed over the years; beat or equal Celtic's achievements.
It's that simple.

They are incapable of bettering our achievements. They never will. Ever.