Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:
18 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:
How would you know? 
You are just guessing that this is the case. Could be a number of other reasons. Such as that we were wanting a more structured deal so that we can bring in other players (like Docherty) this window.
We've already spent significant money on transfer fees this season so it's nonsense to say that we don't have money.

That logic is the reason Rangers died.

:lol: Diddies return to their comfort blanket.

Just you worry about your team's dire form and the fact that you have over 25k posts on a forum. I'd say those issues are more relevant to improving your clearly awful quality of life.

Just now, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

No it doesn't make any sense. You are claiming that there must be money to spend because they've already spent a lot. It's the exact opposite of logical. 

We have board members with deep pockets - that's what it means.

It's the exact opposite of selling your best player in 30 years to Preston for £400k just to keep the lights on.

[emoji38] Diddies return to their comfort blanket.
Just you worry about your team's dire form and the fact that you have over 25k posts on a forum. I'd say those issues are more relevant to improving your clearly awful quality of life.
Yes, I'll enjoy posting about the club I support for many more years. We'll see how many more aliases your club survives.

41 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

We have board members with deep pockets - that's what it means.

It's the exact opposite of selling your best player in 30 years to Preston for £400k just to keep the lights on.

Gentlemen of wealth would find a better tailor.

4 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Sevco, rightly or wrongly, will have another manager in come summertime.
Whether they have any money or not (they don’t), they’d be daft to spend a million plus on someone the next manager doesn’t fancy.
Loan deals make sense to me.

You're right about the loan deal - it makes sense all round - but I hope you're wrong about the management change.  Murty has shown that the team he has can secure 2nd and, if he does, should be appointed on an ongoing basis.

17 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Sevco, rightly or wrongly, will have another manager in come summertime.
Whether they have any money or not (they don’t), they’d be daft to spend a million plus on someone the next manager doesn’t fancy.
Loan deals make sense to me.

Totally agree. It's a deal that suits everyone involved. Murphy's played less than 500 mins of football this season, I'd imagine he's just delighted to get back up the road and has a team who'll play him and Brighton are getting the wages paid for a player who wasn't involved with their first team.

It raises the question why they felt compelled to announce that they were totally up for signing him permanently just now though. Announcing the loan deal til the end of the season with an option and, other than the absolute moon units on Celtic Twitter, no one would have given it a second thought.

Instead, they've totally Sevco'd the announcement and essentially put a spotlight on the fact they have no money and that Brighton were sceptical about actually getting their cash.

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Totally agree. It's a deal that suits everyone involved. Murphy's played less than 500 mins of football this season, I'd imagine he's just delighted to get back up the road and has a team who'll play him.

It raises the question why they felt compelled to announce that they were totally up for signing him permanently just now though. Announcing the loan deal til the end of the season with an option and, other than the absolute moon units on Celtic Twitter, no one would have given it a second thought.

Instead, they've totally Sevco'd the announcement and essentially put a spotlight on the fact they have no money and that Brighton were sceptical about actually getting their cash.

A sevco spotlight.

Better than Accies post I suppose but ....

Apart from the Brighton refusing to sell unless they see the money!...yes all parties are OK

But they’re happy for him to go on loan until the end of the season pending a permanent deal and transfer?
Is this such an unusual arrangement between two football clubs?
I wouldn’t have thought so.
It’s perhaps a story on a quiet day for the tired Daily Record/SM and their (Ibrox obsessed) dwindling readership but that’s about it.

It'd be really funny if Murphy tore the league apart and then it turned out the wording of the buy clause wasn't as stringent as thought and he ended up being signed by someone else in the summer.

I think Murphy is probably a really good signing though and probably the sort of player Rangers should have been going for in the past. It's astonishing though that after years of Warburton committing to guys on long term deals who weren't good enough, the board have immediately given the same rights to a foreign manager to commit to a whole host of players who were completely untested at this level and waste even more money. A few chance signings are good but it was pretty obvious how much they overcommitted to guys with quite a high risk factor when two or three signings like Murphy, Naismith, Martin etc would have been more effective. So so much money wasted in the last few years though.

It sounds like Murty is the only one at the club with any brain cells which is a good thing for Rangers at least. He might not work out to be a great manager but I think he's got a bit of common sense and won't be a destructive force at the club. It's been pretty easy to manage games against Rangers in the past couple of seasons (i.e. sit back for a while while they waste possession and then eventually, you'll be gifted a goal and they'll panic) and it sounds like he at least has some understanding of that from his interviews.

1 hour ago, RedRob72 said:

But they’re happy for him to go on loan until the end of the season pending a permanent deal and transfer?
Is this such an unusual arrangement between two football clubs?
I wouldn’t have thought so.
It’s perhaps a story on a quiet day for the tired Daily Record/SM and their (Ibrox obsessed) dwindling readership but that’s about it.

Well, yeah. They're happy for him to go on loan because as it stands Murphy's still their player and will be unless the terms of the transfer are met. There's no risk for Brighton in this scenario, which is presumably why they're alright with it. If Rangers don't have the cash or can't pay then he stays down at the AMEX.

You're right, it's not that unusual a circumstance. Teams take players on loan with an option to buy all the time, what's odd about this is the Rangers position which seems to be: "we were prepared to buy him now but Brighton "preferred" to loan him". Going by the statement there's a fee agreed and Rangers are the buyer, the player wanted to sign, Rangers wanted to sign him permanently in this window but it wouldn't fly for Brighton.

It would be a legitimate question for Rangers fans to be asking "why?" IMO.

If it's the case that Rangers want to allocate their budget to recruit other players and it means they can't meet the terms to bring him in permanently fine and understandable given the club needed £4m in loans to keep the lights on but issuing a PR with this as one of the opening paragraphs; "Rangers were willing to sign the former Motherwell player on a long-term deal during the January window but Brighton prefer to wait until the end of the season before making the switch permanent." just invites awkward questions tbh.

It's also a very public reminder that it seems clubs aren't prepared to be mugged off by Rangers low-ball bids and offers on tick these days. OK it may be a slow news day but the fact there was a story doing the rounds in the paper that Brighton stalled the deal on account of credit checking Rangers should be an absolute minter for them.