Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

32 minutes ago, harry94 said:

It sounds like Murty is the only one at the club with any brain cells which is a good thing for Rangers at least. He might not work out to be a great manager but I think he's got a bit of common sense and won't be a destructive force at the club. 

I'm a big fan of Murtinho and have said so ad nauseam over recent weeks.  Dave King should pay him a manager's salary and put him on a 12 month rolling contract and nip the manager speculation in the bud.

24 minutes ago, McQuade said:

Maybe , unless the usual laptop loyal had been jizzing about splashing out £2m.

The ones jizzing here, as per, are your fellow plastics and their diddy fellow travellers.  We P&B Bears are our usual pragmatic and phlegmatic selves.

4 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

lawyers advising a club to check another clubs credit rating before signing a transfer fee - they clearly didnt trust Sevco for a single penny of the fee

And nor should they. 

All the major credit referencing sites have Rangers in the lowest category possible - Cash Transactions Only.

5 hours ago, Forest of Dean said:

I don't want to buy him upfront. Would rather Cummings on loan and spend any potential money on getting Docherty. If we got those two plus Martin on loan (rumoured) - I'd be very happy with that business.

Why would you want Docherty when you have Dorrans , Jack , Holt & now Murphy who could be deployed in the role Docherty would fill.

1 minute ago, Forest of Dean said:

£500k maybe. Between that and a million.

So you rate him highly but value him under what you paid for Dorrans & proposed value of Murphy ?

Just hope your joke of a club submit a bid in the £500 000 bracket, because even though we are financially handcuffed just now I still don't think our chairman would entertain such a derisory bid.

4 hours ago, McQuade said:

Apart from the Brighton refusing to sell unless they see the money!...yes all parties are OK

27 minutes ago, Romeo said:

He asked if you'd been drinking.

20 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

You’re a drunk. It’s not that odd a question ffs.

That's three dhementors sucking the life out of the thread this evening so far.  It's Sunday so I fully expect more of the grey and green dross to appear.

Well, yeah. They're happy for him to go on loan because as it stands Murphy's still their player and will be unless the terms of the transfer are met. There's no risk for Brighton in this scenario, which is presumably why they're alright with it. If Rangers don't have the cash or can't pay then he stays down at the AMEX.

You're right, it's not that unusual a circumstance. Teams take players on loan with an option to buy all the time, what's odd about this is the Rangers position which seems to be: "we were prepared to buy him now but Brighton "preferred" to loan him". Going by the statement there's a fee agreed and Rangers are the buyer, the player wanted to sign, Rangers wanted to sign him permanently in this window but it wouldn't fly for Brighton.

It would be a legitimate question for Rangers fans to be asking "why?" IMO.

If it's the case that Rangers want to allocate their budget to recruit other players and it means they can't meet the terms to bring him in permanently fine and understandable given the club needed £4m in loans to keep the lights on but issuing a PR with this as one of the opening paragraphs; "Rangers were willing to sign the former Motherwell player on a long-term deal during the January window but Brighton prefer to wait until the end of the season before making the switch permanent." just invites awkward questions tbh.

It's also a very public reminder that it seems clubs aren't prepared to be mugged off by Rangers low-ball bids and offers on tick these days. OK it may be a slow news day but the fact there was a story doing the rounds in the paper that Brighton stalled the deal on account of credit checking Rangers should be an absolute minter for them.

Seems a fair take on things I guess.

There’s also the possibility that Houghton simply doesn’t want to lose a useful addition to his squad despite not being able to offer Murphy a regular starting slot. Let’s him go out on loan and wishes him well. There’s the chance that he may return to Sussex, much depends on how their season ends I suppose. They have a tidy player who’s getting a regular competitive game still on their books.

If he does well with us however, we offer him a permanent contract and pay Brighton the pre-agreed full fee. They’ve had sufficient notice to replace a decent squad member, everyone’s happy.

I think you’re right, given the financial problems we have encountered over the last few years, it’s understandable that a selling club would want to carefully examine any transfer dealings with our Board. It’s not a secret.

Most of us are past caring how things are ‘worded’ in a press release though, we’ve been asked to swallow enough PR bullshit to last a lifetime.

If this arrangement is what it takes to get the lad on the park with us, playing in the light blue, then I’m happy.

Hopefully Murty gets the best out of him and he signs in the Summer. If not he returns South.

Surely that’s a better deal for us than some of the player contracts we’ve signed over the past 12 months or so, that haven’t worked out and which the new Manager is now saddled with.