Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

51 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Ah, yet another season of such pleasures awaits us. 🫠

In a normal league you’d think it’s stupid diving like that in a friendly as refs will pick up on it and be hesitant to give a penalty against him, that’s In a normal league. 

Edited by Drew Brees

39 minutes ago, AJF said:

Rather poor performance with a few exceptions (Dowell, Lammers and Souttar). I can’t see what style of play we are looking to develop at the moment, so I’m hopeful it’ll come together before the opener against Killie.

Adding Danilo, Lawrence, Goldson and Cifuentes into the team though could make a difference.

Are you worried that your manager and DoF (same person I know) thinks that your back 4 that started tonight is good enough ?

10 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Are you worried that your manager and DoF (same person I know) thinks that your back 4 that started tonight is good enough ?

No one believes that the back 4 is good enough but the manager isn't going to come out and say that.

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Why has your manager and DoF(same person I know) not done anything to address it then ?

Poorly run club and there's no magical money tree. 

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Listen, I don’t think you can win the league - I genuinely believe Frank Lampard could win our league if he managed Celtic, but I expected your DoF to improve your defence.

I'd build from the back too but I can see why we'd try to improve our creative/attacking options. 

I think Beale’s statements at the end of last season about us being woefully profligate in front of goal told the story as to where his focus was going to be in the summer. I think he thinks the defence should be able to take care of itself. I hope he’s right. 

5 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Cuntwell diving in a friendly, deary me

He’ll fit in well at Sevco 2012

Good to see we’ll see the likes of Steven McLean blatantly joining in with the cheating.

It was blatantly obvious it was a dive in real time.

Sometimes a ref can be conned by a “clever” dive. 
That was not the case here, as it was as clear and obvious a dive as you’ll see. 
He essentially joined in 

9 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I don’t think he does, which is why we’ve been linked with defenders for most of the transfer window already.

I think our first choice CB pairings in Goldson and Souttar are very strong. It’s just unfortunate that Goldson is playing catch up due to his injury.

Sterling has already been brought in too, who unfortunately picked up a knock in our training camp.

We seen the worst of Barisic last night and I probably expect Ridvan to start the season as first choice.

So no, I don’t think that Beale thinks that back 4 is good enough, but I’d expect it to improve with Goldson coming back in and Souttar moving to LCB.

I also don’t blame us for going top heavy with the investment in midfield and forward areas, given the departures we’ve had were predominantly in those positions.

I’m also not sure what the fixation is with the DoF role is either. Plenty clubs operate without one. The fact that one hasn’t been appointment isn’t the fault of Beale. That’s a board decision.

I think Lammers has the potential to be a big player for us this season. His close control is excellent and he manages to create dangerous positions for himself out of almost nothing. Very impressed thus far.

ETA: I also agree Cantwell’s dive last night was embarrassing. He seemed to lose the head for a period of time in the match. Totally lunged into a tackle needlessly in the build up to the third goal.

Edited by AJF

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think Lammers has the potential to be a big player for us this season. His close control is excellent and he manages to create dangerous positions for himself out of almost nothing. Very impressed thus far.

ETA: I also agree Cantwell’s dive last night was embarrassing. He seemed to lose the head for a period of time in the match. Totally lunged into a tackle needlessly in the build up to the third goal.

Cantwell is a good player, but has taken on some kind of wannabe hard man persona since he came up here, pandering to the crowd.

Ironic, as down south he was seen as being as soft as a baby’s first shite, with a heart like a mouse. 
Quite why he’s trying to act the c**t here is beyond my understanding.

9 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Cantwell is a good player, but has taken on some kind of wannabe hard man persona since he came up here, pandering to the crowd.

Ironic, as down south he was seen as being as soft as a baby’s first shite, with a heart like a mouse. 
Quite why he’s trying to act the c**t here is beyond my understanding.

Long may it continue (without the diving and wild lunges, preferably)

30 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’m also not sure what the fixation is with the DoF role is either. Plenty clubs operate without one. The fact that one hasn’t been appointment isn’t the fault of Beale. That’s a board decision.

It's just bizarre. At a time that all the big clubs in football move towards the model, Rangers move away from it.

Especially with a coach with little experience for such a job taking it all on.

9 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

It's just bizarre. At a time that all the big clubs in football move towards the model, Rangers move away from it.

Especially with a coach with little experience for such a job taking it all on.

I don’t think we’ve moved away from it, as far as I am aware. We’ve just not appointed Ross Wilson’s replacement as yet.

We were linked with Claudio Reyna and Christian Nerlinger earlier in the window but nothing came of it.

I’m just not sure why Beale is getting criticism for it, really.