Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

15 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

Different times and dosent excuse it 

I mean look at the way your club dealt with your greatest ever manager due to his religion

Bollocks, If they had a problem with his religion they would never have employed him. 

1 minute ago, Drew Brees said:

Bollocks, If they had a problem with his religion they would never have employed him. 

Didn't Stein leave Celtic after being told he would not be promoted to manager due to his religion?

20 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Of course i do, its a shameful incident and a stain on our history, those sort of things happened across the country in the 80's, christ we even had a plethora of overtly racist TV shows back then and people thought these characters were hilarious i.e. Alf Garnett, looking back we should be embarrassed by it all

But here is the thing, we have gotten better and those things are no longer acceptable and thankfully you do not hear them bar the odd isolated fucking idiot (Morelos incident for example) which can happen in any support but you can be pretty confident you wont see mass racial abuse of a player by Scottish football fans on forums, fan pages, supporters buses, in pubs or on the stands which i'm sure you can agree is a good thing that we just don't tolerate that shit anymore. 

But let me ask you a question if today you go onto a Rangers forum, fan page, supporters bus, pub or away game how confident are you that you will see no incidents, remarks or comments that could be perceived as anti-Catholic by a mass group?

Would a mass group not be composed mostly of Catholics?

3 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

He was manager, quite a successful one too. 

Just now, DanMc99 said:

sure it was board level he wasn't allowed to.

Jock Stein was left in tears after his initial Celtic managerial hopes were scuppered because he was Protestant, a new BBC Lisbon Lions documentary reveals – The Scottish Sun

Stein, who passed away in 1985, was appointed as Celtic reserves manager in 1957.

But his ambitions to eventually become manager were brought to a crushing halt after a discussion with then chairman Robert Kelly.

In the programme that airs next week, Stein says: "I was a non-Catholic.

"So Robert Kelly thought I had gone as far as I would expect to go at a club like Celtic."

Jimmy Conway - a former Celtic reserve player - recalls when Stein told him he would be leaving the club.

He said: "The chairman had told him he couldn't go any further at the club because of his religion.

"He really was upset and there were tears. He was very, very upset because he loved the club."

21 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

There was a South African fella, Don Kitchenbrand who came out as saying he hid his religion apparently even going as far as joining a lodge to keep them fooled

The Alex Ferguson doc was quite eye opening as to what it was like at the time, how he was treated seemed to hurt him deeply

If it was an Orange Lodge their censors didn't do a particularly good job.

13 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

There are a few stories about Jimmy that give credence to the claim the first one about him being the driver and conductor of the sash bash Rangers bus during Jock Wallace’s tenure

Secondly the documented persecution/treatment of Mo Johnston which was detailed by Terry Butcher about how he wouldn’t acknowledge him, provide him with any kit making him go fetch it all himself until the day he scored against Celtic, last minute winner at Ibrox if memory serves……..fucker…..Johnston that is not Jimmy.

And the most obvious and telling story about him removing all the green Jelly Babies from the packets 😡

Probably ate them all, accounting for his false teeth...

19 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Bertie Peacock: "Mr McGrory, the Rangers fans keep calling me a ****** bast*rd."

Jimmy McGrory: "Don't worry son, they call me that all the time, too."

Bertie Peacock: "But you are one."

Also Celtic fans using Mo Johnson as a point scorer constantly because some sections of Rangers fans at the time said something to a BBC camera in some pub is a tad ironic 😆

the guy still feels unsafe walking the streets of Glasgow after more than 30 years since the signing because some of your support can’t let it go 

Alfie Conn worked in a Rangers pub after doing the same thing the opposite direction 

Edited by Forever_blueco

3 hours ago, Forever_blueco said:

Also Celtic fans using Mo Johnson as a point scorer constantly because some sections of Rangers fans at the time said something to a BBC camera in some pub is a tad ironic 😆

the guy still feels unsafe walking the streets of Glasgow after more than 30 years since the signing because some of your support can’t let it go 

Alfie Conn worked in a Rangers pub after doing the same thing the opposite direction 

Said something? It's ok you can call it what it is - anti-Catholic prejudice. 

Failing to call something out for what it is or down-playing it is exactly why it still exists in some sections