Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

I don't get why they keep going on about it, it reads as if there were Catholics that played for them that couldn't be openly Catholic, something that must be a source if real shame.

I would be ashamed of my club if someone couldn't be their wholeself whilst playing football for us.

There was a South African fella, Don Kitchenbrand who came out as saying he hid his religion apparently even going as far as joining a lodge to keep them fooled. 

The Alex Ferguson doc was quite eye opening as to what it was like at the time, how he was treated seemed to hurt him deeply

3 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

There was a South African fella, Don Kitchenbrand who came out as saying he hid his religion apparently even going as far as joining a lodge to keep them fooled. 

The Alex Ferguson doc was quite eye opening as to what it was like at the time, how he was treated seemed to hurt him deeply

You do realise that in the era Johnston signed for us your fans were engaged in the mass racial abuse of a black Rangers player? The idea that rest of Scottish football was all tolerant apart from Rangers is absurd and Celtic especially don't have a leg to stand on.

10 minutes ago, DMCs said:

You do realise that in the era Johnston signed for us your fans were engaged in the mass racial abuse of a black Rangers player? The idea that rest of Scottish football was all tolerant apart from Rangers is absurd and Celtic especially don't have a leg to stand on.

But, but, but….

30 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Of course i do, its a shameful incident and a stain on our history, those sort of things happened across the country in the 80's, christ we even had a plethora of overtly racist TV shows back then and people thought these characters were hilarious i.e. Alf Garnett, looking back we should be embarrassed by it all

But here is the thing, we have gotten better and those things are no longer acceptable and thankfully you do not hear them bar the odd isolated fucking idiot (Morelos incident for example) which can happen in any support but you can be pretty confident you wont see mass racial abuse of a player by Scottish football fans on forums, fan pages, supporters buses, in pubs or on the stands which i'm sure you can agree is a good thing that we just don't tolerate that shit anymore. 

But let me ask you a question if today you go onto a Rangers forum, fan page, supporters bus, pub or away game how confident are you that you will see no incidents, remarks or comments that could be perceived as anti-Catholic by a mass group?

Edited by Jinky67

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

Of course i do, its a shameful incident and a stain on our history, those sort of things happened across the country in the 80's, christ we even had a plethora of overtly racist TV shows back then and people thought these characters were hilarious i.e. Alf Garnett, looking back we should be embarrassed by it all

But here is the thing, we have gotten better and those things are no longer acceptable and thankfully you do not hear them bar the odd isolated fucking idiot (Morelos incident for example) which can happen in any support but you can be pretty confident you wont see mass racial abuse of a player by Scottish football fans which i'm sure you can agree is a good thing that we just don't tolerate that shit anymore. 

But let me ask you a question if today you go onto a Rangers forum, fan page, supporters bus or pub how confident are you that you will see no incidents, remarks or comments that could be perceived as anti-Catholic?

I'm not engaging in this debate with you as you seem to get weirdly turned on by crying how evil we are AND it's boring as f*ck.

36 minutes ago, DMCs said:

I'm sure though you accept there' s a difference of scale between institutional bigotry and some arsehole fans making racist comments?

5 hours ago, AJF said:

I may be pissing against the wind here but in my opinion, a group of players who are made up of a large proportion of Catholics with very few Rangers supporting Scottish people included chanting FTP definitely had me leaning more towards "complete bullshit" than "eminently believable".

You, of course, are quite correct and I do apologize.

There was nothing to suggest Jimmy Bell was in the room at the time.

In the context of the team diversity, it does rather beg the wider question as to why those that see themselves as associated with the club continue to indulge themselves.

5 hours ago, sophia said:

You, of course, are quite correct and I do apologize.

There was nothing to suggest Jimmy Bell was in the room at the time.

In the context of the team diversity, it does rather beg the wider question as to why those that see themselves as associated with the club continue to indulge themselves.

I’ve seen this a few times about Jimmy Bell, mainly from Celtic fans.

Firstly, their interest in our kitman is strange to the extreme. They have a few bigoted ditties about him they occasionally sing which I find odd. But I also see this belief that he is sectarian himself, which I’m not sure where it’s came from? Perhaps I could be enlightened.

21 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’ve seen this a few times about Jimmy Bell, mainly from Celtic fans.

Firstly, their interest in our kitman is strange to the extreme. They have a few bigoted ditties about him they occasionally sing which I find odd. But I also see this belief that he is sectarian himself, which I’m not sure where it’s came from? Perhaps I could be enlightened.

There are a few stories about Jimmy that give credence to the claim the first one about him being the driver and conductor of the sash bash Rangers bus during Jock Wallace’s tenure

Secondly the documented persecution/treatment of Mo Johnston which was detailed by Terry Butcher about how he wouldn’t acknowledge him, provide him with any kit making him go fetch it all himself until the day he scored against Celtic, last minute winner at Ibrox if memory serves……..fucker…..Johnston that is not Jimmy.

And the most obvious and telling story about him removing all the green Jelly Babies from the packets 😡

16 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

There are a few stories about Jimmy that give credence to the claim the first one about him being the driver and conductor of the sash bash Rangers bus during Jock Wallace’s tenure

Secondly the documented persecution/treatment of Mo Johnston which was detailed by Terry Butcher about how he wouldn’t acknowledge him, provide him with any kit making him go fetch it all himself until the day he scored against Celtic, last minute winner at Ibrox if memory serves……..fucker…..Johnston that is not Jimmy.

And the most obvious and telling story about him removing all the green Jelly Babies from the packets 😡

Consider me enlightened. Considering these claims relate to a period before I was born, please accept my apologies for not being aware of them.

43 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Persecution of Mo Johnston 😄

9 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

There was the minutes "applause" for your hero Jinky too...

DHGfwPFXkAAg5sp?format=jpg&name=small

15 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

There was the minutes "applause" for your hero Jinky too...

DHGfwPFXkAAg5sp?format=jpg&name=small

This is quite a reach to label it sectarian. I know a couple of people that just don't like the whole idea of a minutes applause and prefer to pay their respect in the more traditional way. It's also not as if he is standing with his arms folded or his hands in his pockets showing disdain.

Then, even if you were to successfully argue that he is deliberately not applauding to be disrespectful, on what basis can you say that the motivation is a sectarian one?

Edit: I've also read up on his treatment of Mo Johnstone too and it sounds as though it was more likely to do with the fact that he had played for Celtic than his religion. If it were sectarian, then surely Jimmy would still continue to treat him poorly even after he scored against Celtic? After all, that goal never changed his religion, did it?

Edited by AJF

21 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Different times and dosent excuse it 

I mean look at the way your club dealt with your greatest ever manager due to his religion

Edited by Forever_blueco