Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

On 16/05/2024 at 14:45, Jinky67 said:

And that needs to change, we have been in this position many times and should be light years ahead of Rangers.

If we aimed to improve in Europe, strengthen with European targets in mind the league will take care of itself.

We have an amazing player trading model that is continually paying dividends but the fuds in charge don’t seem to have that ambition. Sad really

The problem for Celtic is how attractive is playing in the SPFL to players of quailty. Take O'Riley - he's good but he's not all that.  But a player of his quality does not want to be fucking around at Parkhead when they could be in the squad at say Newcastle and playing against some of the best players in the world with massive exposure.  Same is true for almost every player in the team and for players Johnson who are good, (or indeed TAV) but would likely be found out a higher level that explains why they are still here. 

2 hours ago, stressball said:

@bennettthinks he’s your best midfielder when fully fit, which I believe would be a pretty damning thing, unless he’s on the troll

I suppose it depends on who you're comparing him against and what role they suit. Although, I think Diomande has probably shown enough already to suggest he is our best midfielder on the books.

5 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

It was actually Sir Alex Ferguson that said the Lisbon Lions winning the European Cup is the single greatest feat in football and who are any of us to argue with that man? 😉

However for clarity, what I actually posted was the feat was unrivalled in that as far as I know no other club has completed a domestic treble and won the European Cup with 11 players from the same country. Feel free to find me another example and I’ll stand corrected so please if you are going to come for me Kennie at least ensure your opening gambit is a direct quote and not something you think I posted. 

In the early days of Europe lots of teams got to the final with mostly all domestic players, when there was a non domestic player you'll find that it was 1 or 2 players who were not from that nation until around the mid 70's and then the trend changes.

Although Steau Bucharest won it in 86 with a team full of Romanians and when they lost the final in 1990 it was still 11 Romanians.

Red Star in 1991 only had 1 non Yugoslav player.

The great Benfica team of the 60's that won it back to back were all Portuguese.

The great Ajax team that won 3 in a row only had 1 non Dutch player.

Lots of losing finalists were all the same nationality including the Inter team Celtic beat and smaller clubs like Malmo and  Panathinaikos also were all the same nationality.

Celtic winning with 11 Scots was amazing but it probably become more of a thing as time passed because at the actual time of the event very few teams had foreigners.

On the treble thing very few counties have a league cup, Portugal, England and maybe Iceland so most teams don't have that opportunity. The treble in 1967 when Celtic won it was an achievement as Dundee won the league and got to the European cup semi the year before Celtic won it. Rangers would win a European trophy a few years later so the competition was there domestically........today a Celtic treble just signifies the extreme gap in finances that is killing most domestic leagues as an actual competition.

2 hours ago, Insaintee said:

The problem for Celtic is how attractive is playing in the SPFL to players of quailty. Take O'Riley - he's good but he's not all that.  But a player of his quality does not want to be fucking around at Parkhead when they could be in the squad at say Newcastle and playing against some of the best players in the world with massive exposure.  Same is true for almost every player in the team and for players Johnson who are good, (or indeed TAV) but would likely be found out a higher level that explains why they are still here. 

Playing for Celtic has cost O’Riley his place in the Danish squad for the Euro’s judging by their coaches comments.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Playing for Celtic has cost O’Riley his place in the Danish squad for the Euro’s judging by their coaches comments.

To the utter bemusement of even his own countrymen.

2 minutes ago, stressball said:

Yeah feel for the lad. He probably can’t have done anymore to break into the squad given his form for most of the season. 

You’d expect he’ll leave now to try and break into their squad for the WC.

5 minutes ago, stressball said:

image.gif.0df3052e46188872c6e0204d5e12c527.gif

It'll be fine.

Bennett will assume the role of Executive Chairman on an interim basis to ensure continuity and support to the wider executive team as they focus on executing our plans for the summer, both on and off the pitch

3 minutes ago, bennett said:

It'll be fine.

Bennett will assume the role of Executive Chairman on an interim basis to ensure continuity and support to the wider executive team as they focus on executing our plans for the summer, both on and off the pitch

All the best on your promotion.

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I've seen some suggestions, with absolutely no idea how correct they are, O'Riley isn't there because he's not Danish born.

2 hours ago, bennett said:

It'll be fine.

Bennett will stop reporting on Celtic multiple times daily for Pie & Bovril and assume the role of Executive Chairman on an interim basis to ensure continuity and support to the wider executive team as they focus on executing our plans for the summer, both on and off the pitch

Sorted.

3 hours ago, stressball said:

Who obs don't watch Scottish Football. Don't get me wrong I love it but lets not pretend the standard is anywhere near where it was  even as recently as Martian O'Neil.

3 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yeah feel for the lad. He probably can’t have done anymore to break into the squad given his form for most of the season. 

You’d expect he’ll leave now to try and break into their squad for the WC.

He could have... I don't know.... tried to look decent in CL group stages or something like that. 

5 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Who obs don't watch Scottish Football. Don't get me wrong I love it but lets not pretend the standard is anywhere near where it was  even as recently as Martian O'Neil.

You are on a different planet with comments like that mate.

9 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

are we sure this is still the rangers thread? Mods, please..?

Think all the Rangers threads got lost in the cull, everything before 2015 is gone.

The liquidation thread is still there right enough it started back when they were around.