Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, AJF said:

However, I think given that we were in a fairly tight title race until last weekend shows we can absolutely challenge if we can improve our head to head record against them.

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Celtic don't have the desire to get too far ahead of Rangers. They'll get closer and closer despite the financial gap as Rangers spend too much to not gradually improve over a 3-5 year period, and Celtic generally have a shite manager at least once a decade.

In either case Celtic are the ones in control. They need to dip for Rangers to succeed. Rangers fans don't accept this reality, expect too much and work against their own interests. 

Rangers are performing to sane expectations. The fans want them to perform above that consistently causing instability, pressure, grief and churn.

The 'big' club phenomenon. Maybe similar dynamics to Leeds or Man Utd, id need to check that though.

Edited by 2426255

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Celtic don't have the desire to get too far ahead of Rangers. They'll get closer and closer despite the financial gap as Rangers spend too much to not gradually improve over a 3-5 year period, and Celtic generally have a shite manager at least once a decade.

I would tend to agree basically our board have no interest in competing in Europe really other than making the group stages of a tournament and banking the cash. We aren't that well run, it's just that our nearest rivals are ran far worse and have a rather deluded fan base to appease. The European cash allows us to not worry in the slightest about anyone else.

Edited by gannonball

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

In either case Celtic are the ones in control. They need to dip for Rangers to succeed. Rangers fans don't accept this reality

Why would you crop out part of my last post where I essentially agreed with you by saying it was a fair opinion to hold and evident as to how this season panned out?

You literally changed the whole context of my post by leaving out the first part to suit your “Rangers fans don’t accept reality” agenda.

Edited by AJF

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Why would you crop out part of my last post where I essentially agreed with you by saying it was a fair opinion to hold and evident as to how this season panned out?

You literally changed the whole context of my post by leaving out the first part to suit your “Raxngers fans don’t accept reality” agenda.

Sorry m8, I normally do that. Not to suit an agenda, just to highlight the part I am responding to. I can put it back in if you prefer.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I would tend to agree basically our board have no interest in competing in Europe really other than making the group stages of a tournament and banking the cash. We aren't that well run, it's just that our nearest rivals are ran far worse and have a rather deluded fan base to appease. The European cash allows us to not worry in the slightest about anyone else.

And that needs to change, we have been in this position many times and should be light years ahead of Rangers.

If we aimed to improve in Europe, strengthen with European targets in mind the league will take care of itself.

We have an amazing player trading model that is continually paying dividends but the fuds in charge don’t seem to have that ambition. Sad really

Just now, Jinky67 said:

And that needs to change, we have been in this position many times and should be light years ahead of Rangers.

If we aimed to improve in Europe, strengthen with European targets in mind the league will take care of itself.

We have an amazing player trading model that is continually paying dividends but the fuds in charge don’t seem to have that ambition. Sad really

As Calum McGregor said,  European refs don't let celtic get away with anything and enforce the rules. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bennett said:

As Calum McGregor said,  European refs don't let celtic get away with anything and enforce the rules. 

Firstly football has laws not rules, secondly all refs enforce the laws to the best of their ability.

However referees have nothing to do with our ability to build a squad capable of doing better.

Poor effort Benny

Edited by Jinky67

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Firstly football has laws not rules

Fun fact: football calls its rules laws, but they're still rules. Nobody is wrong for calling them rules.

3 hours ago, AJF said:

You literally changed the whole context of my post by leaving out the first part to suit your “Rangers fans don’t accept reality” agenda.

I would suggest singing about brittania ruling the waves would be a failure to accept reality imho. 

37 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Firstly football has laws not rules, secondly all refs enforce the laws to the best of their ability.

However referees have nothing to do with our ability to build a squad capable of doing better.

Poor effort Benny

Just quoting celtics captain giving his reasons for celtics poor European form, I  assume that celtic gave him some more media training after that slip up.

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

Just quoting celtics captain giving his reasons for celtics poor European form, I  assume that celtic gave him some more media training after that slip up.

Shite troll attempt Benny however take it as a moral victory 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I would suggest singing about brittania ruling the waves would be a failure to accept reality imho. 

Well, of all the potential replies I could’ve anticipated receiving to my post, this certainly wasn’t one of them. So well done, I suppose 😅

5 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

In my opinion, which nobody will give a shit about, the reason that Celtic are not light years ahead of Rangers is the quality of player that they can attract to the club, and Scotland. Nobody of any real quality will sign for any Scottish club because of the standard of football. And Celtic need quality players to make any sort of mark in Europe. If they do bring in a reasonable player and improve him, he will be sold once that happens, like O’Riley. You will be the best in Scotland for the foreseeable, but you’re going to have to accept that and not live in cloud cuckoo land.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

In my opinion, which nobody will give a shit about, the reason that Celtic are not light years ahead of Rangers is the quality of player that they can attract to the club, and Scotland. Nobody of any real quality will sign for any Scottish club because of the standard of football. And Celtic need quality players to make any sort of mark in Europe. If they do bring in a reasonable player and improve him, he will be sold once that happens, like O’Riley. You will be the best in Scotland for the foreseeable, but you’re going to have to accept that and not live in cloud cuckoo land.

I accept attracting decent players to Scotland is a big problem but using our last transfer window as an Example we got Norwich's third choice striker to try and springboard our season and decided to go rest of the season with one left back. There must be some we can attract but often the board will look at the squad and just say 'ah that will do' despite all the cash we have coined in. It's bitten us on the arse before,it nearly did this season and will continue to do so.

22 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’m not sure it is that big of an issue attracting players here. Players go where the money is and particularly in Celtic’s case there is a clear pathway for players to develop and move on to something bigger and better.

If they come in and offer a player x amount more than they are currently on then not many will really care about the standard of football in Scotland.

I’d imagine it’ll only become an issue attracting a player here if there is a comparable or similar offer on the table from a side playing in a better league.

Making their mark in Europe will be subjective to different people, but they have the budget and stature to do better than they have in recent years, IMO.

14 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Rangers are just a bigger version of Hearts. Celtic will get stronger next season under Rodgers. Ranger's will be restricted in the transfer market by comparison. Rangers can sneak in when Celtic dip, we saw that this season - you've missed a massive opportunity this year and you'll not get the chance next season. Clement will be sacked for not being a winner and the show will continue.

Fair post. 

They'll still win cups and the odd league but there's no question they are the Dortmund to our Bayern. Some see them as Glasgow's answer to Espanyol but I don't think the gap is that big, yet anyway.  

As has been said above if the wages at Celtic were truly competitive the players would come, See Saudi and 90s Scotland. We pretend the players care and get us but at the end of the day its a job and they follow the money.

Part of the problem is that the vast majority of our fanbase are just as happy with the status quo as well. Unlike Them our fans ambitions match the boards. For most they've only cared about beating Rangers this season and getting a day out in the merchant city to rub it in their faces. Players and Managers leave which brings some change, but considering 12 titles in 13, what progress has the club actually made from that dominance and the money it brings. We should have a European Class stadium, a more productive youth system (Scottish and Non Scottish kids using us as a stepping stone) - I'd say the training facilities are one positive, particularly the investment at Barrowfield. We seem happy to tread water and only have any dissent if it looks like Rangers are getting their act together.

Very underwhelming signing news if it’s true that we are bringing in Liam Kelly, even if it is as a back up keeper that would qualify as homegrown for European competition. God help us if we lose Butland to someone.