Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

On 30/04/2024 at 07:37, AJF said:

Very well deserved club POTY award for Butland the other evening. Some of the saves he has made this season have been outstanding.

Not a great look for Rangers tbh.

5 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Not a great look for Rangers tbh.

It is what it is. Butland has been our most consistent performer all season and we’d have been numerous points worse off without him. Excellent goalkeeper. 

Posted (edited)

Rangers’ good teams (steady now) being built from The Goalie forward is not a new thing - Woods, Goram, Klos, Shagger, Butland. 

Maybe it’s my blue tinted myopia but over the same piece I can only think of Leighton, Boruc and Gordon as having anything like the same talismanic influence on their teams’ fortunes. 

Edited by alta-pete

5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I would hope that Dundee will recompense Rangers for a two night stay at a Premier Inn. St Andrews? Aye right.

Had no idea how far Dundee was from Glasgow. A professional football club can’t find a bus to drive the enormous 90 minutes back to Glasgow?? 

12 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Rangers’ good teams (steady now) being built from The Goalie forward is not a new thing - Woods, Goram, Klos, Shagger, Butland. 

Maybe it’s my blue tinted myopia but over the same piece I can only think of Leighton, Boruc and Gordon as having anything like the same talismanic influence on their teams’ fortunes. 

Aye, we usually tend to do well in the keeper department and they tend to be our most consistent performers. Now if only we could do the same with strikers that would be great.

Rangers are just a bigger version of Hearts. Celtic will get stronger next season under Rodgers. Ranger's will be restricted in the transfer market by comparison. Rangers can sneak in when Celtic dip, we saw that this season - you've missed a massive opportunity this year and you'll not get the chance next season. Clement will be sacked for not being a winner and the show will continue.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Rangers are just a bigger version of Hearts. Celtic will get stronger next season under Rodgers. Ranger's will be restricted in the transfer market by comparison. Rangers can sneak in when Celtic dip, we saw that this season - you've missed a massive opportunity this year and you'll not get the chance next season. Clement will be sacked for not being a winner and the show will continue.

Most of this ^ post is poor fishing but the highlighted bit stood out.  We seem to be caught in a vicious circle where a manager comes in and gets a reaction, then a few bad results usually down to injuries, fans start complaining online and we have another manager and another rebuild. 

1 hour ago, bennett said:

We seem to be caught in a vicious circle where a manager comes in and gets a reaction, then a few bad results usually down to injuries, fans start complaining online and we have another manager and another rebuild. 

I posted on this thread some time ago that the fans are the primary problem at Rangers. They expect what cannot be delivered at Rangers thereby hampering any attempts in the longer term to get back where they want to be.

The biggest hurdle Rangers need to overcome is by far and away their own fans which is basically hilarious. The manager is good, the board try to pander to the fans - what a delightful mess. I mentioned this months ago

On 20/10/2023 at 17:37, 2426255 said:

I just think that the Rangers fans and therefore boards minimum is the same as Rangers maximum in terms of capabilities. It can be achieved, but needs everything to be perfect or Celtic to dip. 

The manager is irrelevant in Rangers case because the existing fundamentals in terms of business and finances between Celtic and Rangers make it so and they haven't changed as far as I'm aware.

If Rangers fans accepted their place as the 2nd best team in Scotland with aspirations to be competitive against Celtic that's fine, but Rangers fans and therefore the board expect to win the League and anything else is failure. It makes no sense to me.

On 20/10/2023 at 16:55, 2426255 said:

He wasn't given the tools or time to do the job. GVB is a fine manager. Rangers want a guy to come in and surpass Celtic with a fraction of what Celtic have available to them. It's nonsensical.

On 01/12/2023 at 13:13, 2426255 said:

Rangers fans will not accept that kind of talk as it questions their status as a club built on being winners even if that's not reality based.

Looking forward to seeing how the situation develops.

Clement is already entering the last chance saloon. He has to win against Celtic either in the cup final (not likely) or at Celtic Park next season (not likely). He has to turn the squad over, maybe wheel and deal through the summer with limited funds to get his merry men into a position where they can present a challenge against most likely a stronger Celtic next year. There is the added pressure of Celtic getting #55. Some laugh this is.

Edited by 2426255

38 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I posted on this thread some time ago that the fans are the primary problem at Rangers. They expect what cannot be delivered at Rangers thereby hampering any attempts in the longer term to get back where they want to be.

This seems rather contradictory. You are saying the fans are hampering the club from delivering what they want, but immediately before that you've said what the fans want cannot be delivered anyway. So, which is it?

1 hour ago, AJF said:

This seems rather contradictory. You are saying the fans are hampering the club from delivering what they want, but immediately before that you've said what the fans want cannot be delivered anyway. So, which is it?

Both. The fans are hampering the club from delivering what they want in the future because they are attempting to deliver something that can't be delivered today. Does that clear it up?

So they'll sack Clement if he can't achieve the impossible task of surpassing Celtic in the short term under pressure from the fans even though he isn't the issue. I can't understand why Clement took the job. He's a good manager with a good CV. He's on to a major loser with this job. I don't think he can succeed with the fan expectations versus club capabilities.

Rangers fans would need to accept their place in the Scottish football pecking order as simply not the best and they can't, they just can't accept that. It's too big a humiliation.

image.thumb.png.852a3e10baafa6ef49ba045cd0051783.png

Edited by 2426255

Only an implosion from Celtic will allow Ranger in. How do we know this? The head to head record basically. Rangers struggle to beat Celtic. If Celtic drop points to the diddy teams then it gives Rangers an opportunity to make up some ground. To win the League this year, one where Celtic were pretty shite they would have had to have been close to perfect against the diddy teams.

Rangers lost to Ross County, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock while drawing against Aberdeen and Dundee. What I'm saying is that Celtic need to dip and Rangers need to be at a maximum to win the league as things are presently. Celtic dipped, but Rangers weren't at a maximum or couldn't sustain a maximum for long enough is maybe more accurate.

Edited by 2426255

12 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Only an implosion from Celtic will allow Ranger in. How do we know this? The head to head record basically. Rangers struggle to beat Celtic. If Celtic drop points to the diddy teams then it gives Rangers an opportunity to make up some ground. To win the League this year, one where Celtic were pretty shite they would have had to have been close to perfect against the diddy teams.

Rangers lost to Ross County, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock while drawing against Aberdeen and Dundee. What I'm saying is that Celtic need to dip and Rangers need to be at a maximum to win the league as things are presently. Celtic dipped, but Rangers weren't at a maximum or couldn't sustain a maximum for long enough is maybe more accurate.

I think that is pretty fair and evident in the way things panned out.

Long term, unless something changes, we aren't going to be able to keep up with Celtic due to the resources they have available to them that we don't.

We really need to be much better with our recruitment over the next 2/3 windows and aim to emulate their player trading model. Even then, they will still hold the advantage.

However, I think given that we were in a fairly tight title race until last weekend shows we can absolutely challenge if we can improve our head to head record against them.

Celtic don't have the desire to get too far ahead of Rangers. They'll get closer and closer despite the financial gap as Rangers spend too much to not gradually improve over a 3-5 year period, and Celtic generally have a shite manager at least once a decade.