Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

12 hours ago, AJF said:

If it is determined that Murrayfield is unsuitable, what is the issue in regards to fixtures potentially being reversed given there is already a precedent for it happening?

If both teams agree there's obviously no issue. The issue comes if a team decide they don't want a switch for whatever reason.

7 minutes ago, The DA said:

There's a bigass crane sitting over one of the goal areas. Even if they moved that for matchdays, the pitch under the cover would be unplayable.  They could always make it a 75-yard-long pitch, of course!

Didn’t realise that.  I’ve not seen any photos of the work being done.  Still enough space for six a side.  Rangers were good at the Tennents’ Sixes.  Perhaps that could be another option?  

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

If both teams agree there's obviously no issue. The issue comes if a team decide they don't want a switch for whatever reason.

Indeed. If it does play out that way then I’d imagine the only options left will be to play it somewhere else if possible, or the SPFL may consult other sides to see if they can swap the fixtures with teams that may be willing to accommodate a swap.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Indeed. If it does play out that way then I’d imagine the only options left will be to play it somewhere else if possible, or the SPFL may consult other sides to see if they can swap the fixtures with teams that may be willing to accommodate a swap.

Swapping fixtures could be problematic if not sorted out by early November 😉

The drop in matchday revenue would be a worry too, I'd assume?

19 minutes ago, German Jag said:

That's an absolute nonsense comment.

If the window for work is so limited then Rangers should have made sufficient checks on said suppliers ability to fufill the contract on time. Presumably whoever drew up the purchase contract will have included numerous penalties for non-fulfillment in time.

Apparently they forgot to do that.

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think there are too many moving parts to be expecting the SPFL to swap around a bunch of fixtures if a team doesn't want to swap a game around.

15 minutes ago, German Jag said:

That's an absolute nonsense comment.

If the window for work is so limited then Rangers should have made sufficient checks on said suppliers ability to fufill the contract on time. Presumably whoever drew up the purchase contract will have included numerous penalties for non-fulfillment in time.

For once it looked like that we were getting something right by improving a section of the stadium to make it easier for people with disabilities.   Clubs do  need to make improvements on their stadiums.

The biggest issue is that no one knows what's happening which is resulting in numerous rumours doing the rounds.   The club could easily solve this by explaining what happened, the silence is worrying.

I'd imagine a consideration for reversing the fixtures would be along the lines of "How long will you need to do this for?", so it can be planned.

If, as it seems, Rangers' answer to that is "We've no idea...", could that be one of the sticking points?

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think there are too many moving parts to be expecting the SPFL to swap around a bunch of fixtures if a team doesn't want to swap a game around.

Yeah, I can’t really think what other options that would leave if it turns out that we 1) are unable to source an alternative venue or 2) swap the fixtures. Maybe postponements (which wouldn’t be practical until we know how many games will be impacted) or behind closed doors at a he training ground or something. f**k knows, it’s a shit show.

9 minutes ago, Al B said:

I'd imagine a consideration for reversing the fixtures would be along the lines of "How long will you need to do this for?", so it can be planned.

If, as it seems, Rangers' answer to that is "We've no idea...", could that be one of the sticking points?

Aye, I’d imagine that will be the main issue to contend with.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yeah, I can’t really think what other options that would leave if it turns out that we 1) are unable to source an alternative venue or 2) swap the fixtures. Maybe postponements (which wouldn’t be practical until we know how many games will be impacted) or behind closed doors at a he training ground or something. f**k knows, it’s a shit show.

You'll forfeit the game and be fined for not having a suitable venue to host games, I'd imagine. It's every clubs responsibility to do so every season and you've got a month and the help you'll get isn't inexhaustible. 

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

Would you not have to forfeit the games given you can’t guarantee when you’ll have a place to play them ?

There is absolutely no precedent for forfeiting games in this context, and nor should it be a consideration. We can't have a situation where the league table is affected by the quirks of a fixture list of a team getting "lucky" with their opponents having a game called off.

Rangers can be fined and penalised if a game can't go ahead, but it should still be played at a later date.

36 minutes ago, bennett said:

For once it looked like that we were getting something right by improving a section of the stadium to make it easier for people with disabilities.   Clubs do  need to make improvements on their stadiums.

The biggest issue is that no one knows what's happening which is resulting in numerous rumours doing the rounds.   The club could easily solve this by explaining what happened, the silence is worrying.

We’ve made some slight (visual) improvements to our disability areas over the years.

One set of fans, guess who, decided to jump all over them, caved the roofs in and then tried to blame us for them not being safe enough.

Scumbags. Hopefully any request to switch fixtures will be refused by the other clubs.

Edited by Sortmeout

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There is absolutely no precedent for forfeiting games in this context, and nor should it be a consideration. We can't have a situation where the league table is affected by the quirks of a fixture list of a team getting "lucky" with their opponents having a game called off.

Rangers can be fined and penalised if a game can't go ahead, but it should still be played at a later date.

Yeah i'd imagine if, for example, Rangers first 5 home games are forfeitted as they can't fulfill them, any teams who aren't due to play them in that period could well claim that compiling the fixture list was basically choosing which teams get free points.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You'll forfeit the game and be fined for not having a suitable venue to host games, I'd imagine. It's every clubs responsibility to do so every season and you've got a month and the help you'll get isn't inexhaustible. 

18 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Would you not have to forfeit the games given you can’t guarantee when you’ll have a place to play them ?

I very much doubt forfeiture will be the outcome given the initial statement from Rangers indicated that fixtures at the start of the season will be impacted. So, there is an expectation that Ibrox will be available once the shipping delay is overcome. I suppose it then comes down to how much weight do you put into the theories floating about.

34 minutes ago, AJF said:

I very much doubt forfeiture will be the outcome given the initial statement from Rangers indicated that fixtures at the start of the season will be impacted. So, there is an expectation that Ibrox will be available once the shipping delay is overcome. I suppose it then comes down to how much weight do you put into the theories floating about.

I think the truth is that materials were never ordered, so they'll know exactly when they'll be sorting the whole thing as the delays are just a fabrication to cover their arse.

I doubt it'll come to forfeits but you're totally reliant on goodwill from at least 3 clubs, one of which is Hibs whos fans will demand they don't give you anything, to get the fixtures switched/delayed.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think the truth is that materials were never ordered, so they'll know exactly when they'll be sorting the whole thing as the delays are just a fabrication to cover their arse.

I doubt it'll come to forfeits but you're totally reliant on goodwill from at least 3 clubs, one of which is Hibs whos fans will demand they don't give you anything, to get the fixtures switched/delayed.

Not sure how likely that is. Any supplier subsequently providing the materials would automatically be assumed to be the supplier that failed to meet the initial deadline. Just doesn’t make sense, really.

I’d imagine most fans will share the same view of Hibs fans. Realistically though, it could come down to a choice between fixture reversals or postponements, so it would then be up to the clubs to decide what they’d prefer.

Rangers should be forced to come up with an agreeable venue 3 weeks before or they forfeit the right to the "home" game and the "away" team can play it at theirs. Selling tickets etc taking profits