Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

You’ve completely lost me.

I responded to someone’s question that was specifically about Rangers playing The Best as the teams came out.

You specifically quoted my response with “oh aye, that’s stern action, can you hear yourself” etc.

I never said that was stern action. I was simply responding to someone’s question about The Best being played. That. Is. All.

Well there is obviously a wider conversation going on, of which the Simply the Best thing was a part. Choosing to treat it in neat little isolation is pretty telling. 

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The overt Britishness of the club, manifest in the poppy nonsense, the union flag design in shirts and the prominence of Orange in kits, is all intertwined, deliberate and cynical.

I don't mind clubs flying the butchers apron or having a royalist view or even wearing orange it's just a colour, i agree with the poppy nonsense it's a bit OTT.
If fans are that way inclined it's not offensive because it attracts the uneducated and the knockledraggers of society and you think it plays to the gallery.
What would you have sevco do? Ban the butchers apron from the ground? Ban a colour from the strip? Ban photo's of the queen?

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Well there is obviously a wider conversation going on, of which the Simply the Best thing was a part. Choosing to treat it in neat little isolation is pretty telling. 

How can it be treated any other way than in isolation when I’m responding to the question asked in the specific post?

I feel like I’ve tried to answer as many question from people as possible here. Yes, there are things that I would rather not get in to which I’ve already explained but I honesty think you singling out my response to a specific question and trying to beat me over the head with it is quite poor.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It is laughable when they claim they do 'everything possible' to eradicate this stuff, when it's clear they don't. They just want to push their image without crossing certain lines. 

The club had already been forced to close off sections of Ibrox for the second leg of the crucial tie after being hammered by the governing body for bigoted singing in the Europa League qualifying win over St Joseph's back in July.

Rangers have been ordered by UEFA to close a section of their Ibrox Stadium for Thursday’s Europa League meeting with Legia Warsaw due to racist behaviour which includes “sectarian singing” by their supporters.

RANGERS could face having Ibrox closed for their next Europa League match against Young Boys if Uefa take action following reports of sectarian singing against Feyenoord.

As has already been said it is a minority doing this and the club has taken all steps to eradicate it.  Aye right, my arse.

The orange shirts were introduced years ago to celebrate the Dutch in the team.  AJF - had the Dutch national team worn green would the Rangers have worn green shirts to celebrate the Dutch or was this just another golden opportunity to promote their sectarian ways?

Edited by Hard Graft

4 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

The club had already been forced to close off sections of Ibrox for the second leg of the crucial tie after being hammered by the governing body for bigoted singing in the Europa League qualifying win over St Joseph's back in July.

Rangers have been ordered by UEFA to close a section of their Ibrox Stadium for Thursday’s Europa League meeting with Legia Warsaw due to racist behaviour which includes “sectarian singing” by their supporters.

RANGERS could face having Ibrox closed for their next Europa League match against Young Boys if Uefa take action following reports of sectarian singing against Feyenoord.

As has already been said it is a minority doing this and the club has taken all steps to eradicate it.  Aye right, my arse.

To add some balance to this, Rangers punished fans by refusing to take an away allocation for their match against Young Boys which was a direct response to a UEFA charge.

It may not be “all” steps taken, but they did act.

A strong statement from Stewart Robertson addressing the abuse of Morelos and making it abundantly clear that the club do not welcome those that cannot support players taking the knee.

A good statement that doesn’t miss its mark in my opinion.

I may be misremembering here, but didn't West Brom retweet an overtly racist fan who was moaning about Black Lives Matter support and telling them directly that they are no longer welcome at their stadium? 

A statement saying 'anyone who doesn't like it shouldn't come to ibrox' wont stop them going to ibrox, in the same way as the same kind of language put up  by celtic and hibs and hearts and whomever else when their fans come the c**t is toothless at best and cynical at worst. It costs them nothing and accomplishes nothing. 

Any person who rangers can identify from the social media meltdown over the knee-taking should be banned from the stadium. If they have a season ticket, refund it and bar them. Granted, many use 'clever' pseudonyms to hide behind, but  not all of them, and in much less numbers on facebook than on twitter. This would be a substantive step and one all clubs should take. 

Even if they only get a few people through this method, it sends a stronger message. 

When any of the “party tunes” are being chanted , why do the club not play a recorded message over the PA system saying that these sort of “songs” will not be tolerated by RFC ??

Also the club could do more re. the songs that are played over the PA ... most clubs just play the latest chart hits ( pop pickers ) , but IMO , the club plays tunes that can either have different words or add ons applied ...Simply the best , FFS , RFC haven’t been the best for a long , long time ...
Might also help to stop selling some of the “merchandise” that gets sold in the streets surrounding the stadium ....

And before anyone says “aye but whit about them , they dae it as well ...” , I stay at Ibrox and witness the behaviour  of many of those “fans” before and after games ...singing in the streets of their party tunes ( with all the correct words if you know what I mean ) , displaying of UVF flags and Red Hand flags .. they even sell flags with the parachute regiment on it ..WTF...

The club , IMHO , does very little to discourage any of this ....

When any of the “party tunes” are being chanted , why do the club not play a recorded message over the PA system saying that these sort of “songs” will not be tolerated by RFC ??
Also the club could do more re. the songs that are played over the PA ... most clubs just play the latest chart hits ( pop pickers ) , but IMO , the club plays tunes that can either have different words or add ons applied ...Simply the best , FFS , RFC haven’t been the best for a long , long time ...
Might also help to stop selling some of the “merchandise” that gets sold in the streets surrounding the stadium ....
And before anyone says “aye but whit about them , they dae it as well ...” , I stay at Ibrox and witness the behaviour  of many of those “fans” before and after games ...singing in the streets of their party tunes ( with all the correct words if you know what I mean ) , displaying of UVF flags and Red Hand flags .. they even sell flags with the parachute regiment on it ..WTF...
The club , IMHO , does very little to discourage any of this ....

The club couldn't care less, their bigotry is profitable therefore they'll continue to turn a blind eye and subtlety cater to it with the likes of orange training kits.

A strong statement from Stewart Robertson addressing the abuse of Morelos and making it abundantly clear that the club do not welcome those that cannot support players taking the knee.

“Everyone Anyone’, our groundbreaking diversity and inclusion initiative” what’s groundbreaking about it? The statement reads like it was penned by a failed DUP councillor.

20 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I may be misremembering here, but didn't West Brom retweet an overtly racist fan who was moaning about Black Lives Matter support and telling them directly that they are no longer welcome at their stadium? 

Not how I remember it. The offending tweeter said he won't be back, West Brown said "you won't be missed." 

Edit :

racist-west-brom.thumb.jpeg.1604633d1b7bd34591c0c88125c587f0.jpeg

Edited by Mr. Alli

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

Not how I remember it. The offending tweeter said he won't be back, West Brown said "you won't be missed." 

Actually that rings a bell, so I think you're likely right about that. 

My main point still stands though. 

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I don't mind clubs flying the butchers apron or having a royalist view or even wearing orange it's just a colour, i agree with the poppy nonsense it's a bit OTT.
If fans are that way inclined it's not offensive because it attracts the uneducated and the knockledraggers of society and you think it plays to the gallery.
What would you have sevco do? Ban the butchers apron from the ground? Ban a colour from the strip? Ban photo's of the queen?

If Rangers want to be taken seriously when claiming they wish to eradicate the difficulties we're discussing, then they shouldn't have orange kit.  They could refrain from flying that flag if they wished and they could very much more forcefully attempt to disenfranchise those who see the club as a vehicle for the expression of unionist sentiment.

They simply could.  Whether they should or not is open to debate of course, but they could do very much more than they do.  

A decision is instead made that involves the wish not to alienate the people for whom such shit matters.  

4 hours ago, AJF said:

If you’d been to Ibrox at all in recent years then you’d know that only the chorus of the song is now played as the teams emerge, therefore not giving fans the opportunity to sing any “add ons” during the verses.

FFS Mate, do you not see that that's the entire point?

You're obviously a perfectly decent bloke, as are plenty Rangers fans that I know and like.

The point is though, that rather than simply remove a tune that had been hijacked to express ugly, illegal sectarian hatred, the club stuck with a modified version.  It's exactly what lots of us are saying the club is guilty of - apparently tackling something, while in reality tolerating (thus tacitly encouraging) it.

The unacceptable behaviour is not your fault, simply because you like the same team as those displaying it.  The club could work very much harder at distancing itself from them and their agenda though.  Again, quite simply, choices are made which are designed to keep them onside.

Any club that has to establish an “everyone anyone” campaign must know they have a problem. If you know you have a problem, take steps to eliminate it.

Rangers do not do this, or do not do anywhere near enough. Enough examples above so I won’t repeat them.

Times are changing rapidly just now, Rangers really need to look at their strategy in changing their PR perception.

I keep hearing the club are doing their best. Yet to hear one thing they have done to help stop this type of behaviour being promoted.

Before anyone gets back with: “aye well we set up an everyone anyone campaign” what does it do, what has it done that’s been positive ? It’s merely a PR exercise

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If Rangers want to be taken seriously when claiming they wish to eradicate the difficulties we're discussing, then they shouldn't have orange kit.  They could refrain from flying that flag if they wished and they could very much more forcefully attempt to disenfranchise those who see the club as a vehicle for the expression of unionist sentiment.

They simply could.  Whether they should or not is open to debate of course, but they could do very much more than they do.  

A decision is instead made that involves the wish not to alienate the people for whom such shit matters.  

You can't discriminate against wearing orange or flying a butchers apron or tell people how to think monkey that's just silly. 

Thought he might have mentioned Goldson by name and the abuse he was getting from the Rangers fans?

No..oh well..

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You can't discriminate against wearing orange or flying a butchers apron or tell people how to think monkey that's just silly. 

I'm not discriminating against anyone.

I am saying however that if a club really considers aspects of its perceived identity unwelcome, it can very readily ditch the symbols that cement it.