Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

Ah, sorry.

Don’t be. If it wasn’t for that, your explanation would have been the end of my curiosity. Very poor performance tonight. Everything was very slow and to an extent predictable. Only bright side I could take would be if it dampens the hype around the season so far. The reaction from the team on Saturday will tell us a lot.

Running through some numbers for the league (feel free to correct if any of those numbers are out):

We currently sit on 47 points from 17 games. Celtic have 34 from 15.

During our collapse last year, we averaged 1.7 points per game (17 from 10 games). Celtics recent collapse has earned them 1.5 points per game (9 from 6 games so far).

Celtic can earn a max. points total of 103 points. We can earn a max points total of 110.

If we averaged 2 points per game from now until the end of the season (which would be winning our homes and drawing away, and wouldn't be good form), we'd be on 89 points.

If two of those wins were in the Old Firm games at Ibrox, Celtics maximum points total would be reduced to 97. Draw the one at Parkhead and they're down to 95.

The Old Firm games are going to be so important in deciding who wins this league. If we win 2 and draw 1, Celtic basically have to win out to win the league, even if we go on a pretty bad run of form.

Edited by G51

19 minutes ago, G51 said:

Running through some numbers for the league (feel free to correct if any of those numbers are out):

During our collapse last year, we averaged 1.7 points per game (17 from 10 games). Celtics recent collapse has earned them 1.33 points per game (9 from 6 games so far).

Celtic can earn a max. points total of 103 points. We can earn a max points total of 110.

If we averaged 2 points per game from now until the end of the season (which would be winning our homes and drawing away, and wouldn't be good form), we'd be on 89 points.

If two of those wins were in the Old Firm games at Ibrox, Celtics maximum points total would be reduced to 97. Draw the one at Parkhead and they're down to 95.

The Old Firm games are going to be so important in deciding who wins this league. If we win 2 and draw 1, Celtic basically have to win out to win the league, even if we go on a pretty bad run of form.

9 points from 6 games is 1.5 ppg.

14 minutes ago, G51 said:

During our collapse last year, we averaged 1.7 points per game (17 from 10 games). Celtics recent collapse has earned them 1.33 points per game (9 from 6 games so far).

I think 95 points for us is the golden number. Get there and I think we will win the league.

So with 21 games remaining, we'd need 48 points. Can we win the equivalent of 16 games out of our next 21? That would work out to be 2.29 points per game.

I believe we should have 11 of our remaining 21 games at home so our home form has to remain solid for us to make it.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

I think 95 points for us is the golden number. Get there and I think we will win the league.

So with 21 games remaining, we'd need 48 points. Can we win the equivalent of 16 games out of our next 21? That would work out to be 2.29 points per game.

I believe we should have 11 of our remaining 21 games at home so our home form has to remain solid for us to make it.

Yeah, by my reckoning winning 5 of our remaining 10 away games should get us there, assuming the home form holds up.

Our away games:

St Johnstone

St MIrren

Aberdeen

Motherwell

HIbernian

Hamilton

Livingston

Celtic

2 post-split games.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Yeah, by my reckoning winning 5 of our remaining 10 away games should get us there, assuming the home form holds up.

Our away games:

St Johnstone

St MIrren 🤕

Aberdeen

Motherwell

HIbernian

Hamilton

Livingston

Celtic

2 post-split games.

Yeah, I think the ones in bold have to be games we make sure we win regardless. Then focus on picking up 2/3 wins from the remaining 6.

If we drop points in any of the bold ones above then I think we will be making it difficult for ourselves.

Just now, AJF said:

Yeah, I think the ones in bold have to be games we make sure we win regardless. Then focus on picking up 2/3 wins from the remaining 6.

If we drop points in any of the bold ones above then I think we will be making it difficult for ourselves.

I really don't think we win at Livingston. Old Firm teams have a terrible league record at the Spaghettihad. P7  W2  D3  L2. We got the two wins - Celtic haven't beaten Livi away from home since they came up to the top league.

A win at Fir Park feels more likely than a win at Livi.

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

I really don't think we win at Livingston. Old Firm teams have a terrible league record at the Spaghettihad. P7  W2  D3  L2. We got the two wins - Celtic haven't beaten Livi away from home since they came up to the top league.

A win at Fir Park feels more likely than a win at Livi.

Yeah, I think Motherwell and Livi can be interchangeable but regardless, I think we NEED to win one of them along with the others I mentioned.

It's going to be a tall order regardless. I believe (hope) however, that the required total will be less than 95 though. Even if we were to draw 2 of our last 3 remaining fixtures v Celtic, they would essentially need to win 19 and draw 2 in their remaining fixtures to reach 95 points. While not unachievable, I think they'd struggle with that as well.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yeah, I think Motherwell and Livi can be interchangeable but regardless, I think we NEED to win one of them along with the others I mentioned.

It's going to be a tall order regardless. I believe (hope) however, that the required total will be less than 95 though. Even if we were to draw 2 of our last 3 remaining fixtures v Celtic, they would essentially need to win 19 and draw 2 in their remaining fixtures to reach 95 points. While not unachievable, I think they'd struggle with that as well.

Celtic are a chaos machine, it's almost impossible to predict what they'll do next.

Their away fixtures:

Hamilton

Rangers

LIvingston

Kilmarnock

St Johnstone

Dundee United

Ross County

3 from 5 post split, which I think will be us, Aberdeen and Hibs.

15 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

If Rangers blow this seasons league title it’ll be the biggest slip since Stevie G slipped in the EPL.

Well, we do have previous for it. I'm sure in the 11/12 season we had a 15 point lead at one point, only to utterly collapse and finish well beaten in second.

Of course, there were some additional factors in play that year but we were done before any points deduction was applied.

More recently however, I get the feeling Gerrard has the team a little more head-strong compared to the last couple of campaigns. I'd be extremely surprised (and heartbroken) if we suffered a similar collapse this season.