Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

5 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

£2m compensation and clause in the contract that he has to buy Kent for no less than £12m in the Jan transfer window.  No more talk about losses.... 

Villa forums claim they're paying 7 million comp.....anyway, i'm off to Follow Follow, the bear pit will be comedy gold....🤣

1 hour ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Am ready to wear 2 pairs of scants the day he inevitably moves doon,I'll be pissing maself at all the deluded clowns at ma work that though he would stay until Liverpool came knocking 😂

Had a similar debate a few months ago with a few of my pupils who were convinced he'd immediately take over when Klopp goes.

He wants to be Liverpool manager one day. Even winning every possible trophy up here for the next five years doesn't get him the Liverpool job. He needs to be successful at a mid-table EPL team at the very least before Liverpool will even consider him.

12 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

the number starts 0117 get on the phone to Bristol Rovers and bring him back home...

image.jpg

I know this was clearly tongue in cheek but it’s just reminded me how absolutely mental the media response was to him joining rangers. 

You’d think they’d signed a gazza or a laudrup again. I distinctly remember the bbc doing a minute by minute update piece on his debut against Hamilton. 

Of course, this all contributed to how funny it was the way it all ended. 

13 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Looks like Rangers fans have the answer to his “Do I look happy, do I look settled?” comments the other week.

Gerrard moving to Villa coupled with Howe declining Celtic before moving to Newcastle just proves that to an ambitious manager, a relegation battle in the Barclays is more attractive than managing Rangers or Celtic.

Its just further confirmation that in the grand scheme of things, neither are a big club.

10 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Gerrard moving to Villa coupled with Howe declining Celtic before moving to Newcastle just proves that to an ambitious manager, a relegation battle in the Barclays is more attractive than managing Rangers or Celtic.

Its just further confirmation that in the grand scheme of things, neither are a big club.

Villa don't have a relegation battle squad, they obviously are looking at West Ham and thinking, we could do that, Gerard being the man to do that is another discussion altogether.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Had a similar debate a few months ago with a few of my pupils who were convinced he'd immediately take over when Klopp goes.

He wants to be Liverpool manager one day. Even winning every possible trophy up here for the next five years doesn't get him the Liverpool job. He needs to be successful at a mid-table EPL team at the very least before Liverpool will even consider him.

I don't agree he has to manage elsewhere before managing Liverpool (although I think it would be better to gain more experience outside Scotland)

Ole @ Man Utd - Won the league with Molde and got Cardiff relegated

Arteta @ Arsenal - No previous experience

Xavi @ Barca - Some success with Al Saad

Zidane @ Real - No previous experience

Pirlo @ Juventus - No previous experience

Lampard @ Chelsea - A playoff with Derby

Okay there is a mixture of how successful these managers have been but there is precedent for the top clubs appointing managers with little or no experience.

23 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I know this was clearly tongue in cheek but it’s just reminded me how absolutely mental the media response was to him joining rangers. 

You’d think they’d signed a gazza or a laudrup again. I distinctly remember the bbc doing a minute by minute update piece on his debut against Hamilton. 

Of course, this all contributed to how funny it was the way it all ended. 

Wrong thread M8.

18 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I don't agree he has to manage elsewhere before managing Liverpool (although I think it would be better to gain more experience outside Scotland)

Okay there is a mixture of how successful these managers have been but there is precedent for the top clubs appointing managers with little or no experience.

most of those clubs where/are in a shit state of affairs, a club legend acts as a buffer to the board/money men, Liverpool are in a position of strength, are they really going to go with Gerard over some fella who's tearing up the bundesliga and would slip right into Klopp's shoes ?

they just have to look at Souness or their friends at the other end of the East Lancs road.

Lampard didn’t see season out.
Pirlo also sacked for being shite
Xavi - questions remain
Ole- got them in a better position but being found out now
Arteta - been poor but maybe beginning to turn round. He worked under pep though.
Zidane is the only one that had some success

Villa is the perfect club for gerrard

30 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

Villa don't have a relegation battle squad, they obviously are looking at West Ham and thinking, we could do that, Gerard being the man to do that is another discussion altogether.

Villa are 2 points off the drop zone and bottom of the form league - if they don’t turn it round quickly they are in a relegation battle.

8 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

most of those clubs where/are in a shit state of affairs, a club legend acts as a buffer to the board/money men, Liverpool are in a position of strength, are they really going to go with Gerard over some fella who's tearing up the bundesliga and would slip right into Klopp's shoes ?

they just have to look at Souness or their friends at the other end of the East Lancs road.

Barca are in a sorry state and Chelsea had a transfer ban, the rest were all in a good position when they appointed those men.

4 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Lampard didn’t see season out.
Pirlo also sacked for being shite
Xavi - questions remain
Ole- got them in a better position but being found out now
Arteta - been poor but maybe beginning to turn round. He worked under pep though.
Zidane is the only one that had some success

Villa is the perfect club for gerrard

I said in another thread that villa are perfect for him right now, they tick so many boxes. I also agree that the top sides should go get proven managers but Liverpool are an emotional club and I think when that job is available Gerrard will be a among the favourites.

My point was that when the top jobs become available sometimes inexperienced managers are considered.

And Lampard did see his 1st season out, he got Chelsea to the top 4 which was seen as an achievement considering he had a transfer ban and brought through some young players, his 2nd season was seen as a failure.