Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

10 hours ago, AB1872 said:

Rangers will be losing very little, if anything, from not playing in Anges homecoming 

Maybe not financially, but you will be losing out on a once in a lifetime experience, a lot of prestige and a chance to pay some respect to big ange in his home country. 

You can’t put a price on that, I’m afraid. 

8 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

"I don't like watching something we don't have a chance of winning".

Its more I dont like watching them as no one else has a chance of winning them if they were competitive like they used to be I would still watch even when Celtic are knocked out or dont even qualify. Thats why some sort of change to make the SPFL and other European domestic leagues more competitive and have other winners is something I would prefer also. A more level playing field financially. I think the only way of doing that is to do some change on a big scale.

Edited by BigDoddyKane

Just now, BigDoddyKane said:

Its more I dont like watching them as no one else has a chance of winning them if they were competitive like they used to be I would still watch. Thats why some sort of change to make the SPFL and other European domestic leagues more competitive and have other winners is something I would prefer also. A more level playing field financially. I think the only way of doing that is to do some change on a big scale.

A couple of seasons of Aberdeen/Hibs/Hearts winning the league and you'd all be complaining that it's not fair.

16 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I wouldnt, a competitive league is far better. 

Maybe for starters you could canvas your club's board to have them publicly acknowledge the 10-year anniversary of the death of their Old Firm partners; a relationship and financial interdependence they pretend doesn't exist, while they surreptitiously keep it alive at all costs.

Remember the variety of clubs that won silverware during 'The Journey' (from the cemetery/liquidators)?

Edited by Squonk

14 hours ago, AB1872 said:

Real drubbings are not that common in the group stages as the real powerhouses tend to do enough against the ‘diddy’ clubs to get through.

I don't know if that is true. Looking at the stats nowadays the so called super clubs or group winners are now finishing with more pts and higher goal difference than ever before. In the 90's teams were regularly qualifying with 8-11pts, this season 3 teams won all 6 matches, Bayern had a GD of +19 and 3 others had GD of over +11.

We have seen plenty of teams regularly scoring 5 or 6 and even the odd 7 or 8 in recent seasons, was that the case in the 90's or early 2000's?

I haven't done the stats myself but I have heard plenty journalist discussing that the stats are going in the direction of more dominance for these 'super clubs'.

17 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I love watching Celtic in europe but as for the actual euro competitions now. I lost all interest in them, I dont watch them anymore if Celtic arent in them apart from the odd time a particular team seems to be doing something different from the norm. I used to love watching the old uefa, Cup Winners , European Cup but the lack of competition, same old teams etc.  I know the first thought in many posters minds is thats a bit rich being a Celtic fan in a domestic league either Celtic or rangers win but I also dont really like the fact its always same winners in spfl.

I find the Europa league more interesting now for this reason, I still find that competitive and interesting.

I think a new european competition should be started by all the european countries outside the big 5 or 6 who dominate the current uefa setup. It should be a fair competition not under Uefa. It probably should be 2 competitions. The money a club gets for qualifying and from the european competition should be slpit 50/50 with the club and the league its from. For example if Celtic were to get 40 million they keep 20 and the league clubs split the other 20. That way the money gets spread out and competition domestically should get better.

The new conference could have excluded the UEFA  top 5 countries teams from entering.

All the leagues should align as much as possible how they distribute their money domestically/internally, maybe an idea is even selling the doemstic TV rights of all these european countries as one and sharing the money between the leagues on some sort of viewing figures level or even just equally. Some way that would share even the domestic money more fairly and in some aligned european way.

I think cross country leagues could be the answer. Celtic and Rangers are never going to split their money with Livi and St Mirren and neither will Ajax with Pec Zwolle or Benfica with Belenses. Lets be honest and say that some clubs have outgrown their domestic game and put clubs/teams together who's potential is fairly matched.

Im sure theres loads holes in this idea but some way to make a competitive not just european but domestic leagues again in europe is possible in my opinion, might not be the above but someone somewhere has the way.  Accepting the ideas/scraps from uefa is just shite really. We should just do it ourselves

Plenty holes in my suggestions too but refreshing to hear this view point from on OF fan and it not just be a moan from the fans of the teams who don't win things.

3 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Thats why some sort of change to make the SPFL and other European domestic leagues more competitive and have other winners is something I would prefer also. A more level playing field financially. I think the only way of doing that is to do some change on a big scale.

This is professional sport though, so significant positive disparity in financial power will (nearly) always guarantee success.  I'm old enough to have started watching the game from the early 70's and whilst even then the greater financial power of the OF dominated the Scottish game, there was still the occasional hint of some kind of competitiveness in the top league.  However, with the introduction of satellite TV cash, rich investors (OK not in Scotland) and the huge UEFA competition incentives, the financial disparity between the haves and the have nots has been taken to new and huge levels - and you even see this now in the major European leagues where only a few clubs ever really are in the mix to win things.

So, as BDK rightly says, the only way to obtain a more competitive structure is to level the playing field financially.  This is a laudable objective - but as we all know turkeys don't vote for Christmas do they, and greater financial gain just breeds even greater greed - eg the recent debacle of the proposed European Super League (or whatever it was called).  I wish I had the magic solution to offer here but I don't.  A realistic solution has to somehow curb the financial muscle of the big clubs and involve a more even distribution of the wealth - but I can't see the big clubs (here or anywhere) ever consenting to this.

Just now, AJF said:

Is it the norm for clubs to publicly apologise for fan incidents?

Most decent clubs would. 

Your current club and the one that died have a long and disgusting past of violence and bigotry at home and abroad.

You are Scotlands shame when it comes to fan behaviour. No one comes close. 

Just now, SuperSaints1877 said:

Most decent clubs would. 

Your current club and the one that died have a long and disgusting past of violence and bigotry at home and abroad.

You are Scotlands shame when it comes to fan behaviour. No one comes close. 

I'm just looking for an answer whether it's usual practice for clubs to do it.

In the recent past I've seen players struck with coins, coffee, bottles thrown at them and fans confronting them on the pitch at grounds around the country. I may be mistaken, but I can't remember there ever being a public apology issued. The closest I can remember is when Dempster privately apologised to Tavernier in our changing room, but nothing public from the club.

Just now, Clown Job said:

If that fan glasses a member of the visiting staff….

Then yes. 

Ah, so it depends on the type of offence? So, if a player is hit with a coin or any other type of missile, or they are confronted by a fan, no public apology is required?

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Surely social norms are no barrier for the most dignified and successful club in world football? 

We're often criticised for being socially abnormal. We are just trying to fit in.

I'm just looking for an answer whether it's usual practice for clubs to do it.
In the recent past I've seen players struck with coins, coffee, bottles thrown at them and fans confronting them on the pitch at grounds around the country. I may be mistaken, but I can't remember there ever being a public apology issued. The closest I can remember is when Dempster privately apologised to Tavernier in our changing room, but nothing public from the club.
When a Falkirk fan threw a fake eyeball at Dean Shiels, Falkirk FC publicly apologised to Shiels.

I'm sure there will be numerous examples from other clubs, but suffice to say yes, your clubs silence is an absolute minter given the potential consequences of the incident to both Rangers and Celtic playing staff, and the wider implications of how safe it is to attend your stadium for anyone. Rangers fan or otherwise.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

When a Falkirk fan threw a fake eyeball at Dean Shiels, Falkirk FC publicly apologised to Shiels.

I'm sure there will be numerous examples from other clubs, but suffice to say yes, your clubs silence is an absolute minter given the potential consequences of the incident to both Rangers and Celtic playing staff, and the wider implications of how safe it is to attend your stadium for anyone. Rangers fan or otherwise.

And I am sure there will be an even greater number of incidents that pass without any public apology. It's a weak argument to express faux outrage at Rangers for when in reality it is normally what happens at clubs all over the country.

Just now, AJF said:

Ah, so it depends on the type of offence? So, if a player is hit with a coin or any other type of missile, or they are confronted by a fan, no public apology is required?

You can’t even say the club or company should apologise to the staff member who was assaulted in your stadium.

Unfortunately it’s not really that surprising attitude from you.