Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

From a progression point of view there’s not many better places for an ambitious young player to go.

Sadly players with any level of ambition at all don’t play their whole careers in Scotland anymore.

Aye, Ajax are selling players to elite teams more regularly than mid-table EPL sides do.

A solid 12/24 months in Amsterdam and he’d still be 24.

20 minutes ago, DMCs said:

He posted on his instagram last night about being in a hotel in Manchester which is where we do our medicals for incoming players.

Hopefully a buy option on the loan as well.

The Times are reporting that the loan will have an option to buy. Really exciting signing this one if the option to buy is true. The exact profile of player we should be looking at. 

Between this and the Bassey sale, it's going to be a busy few days. 

1 minute ago, G51 said:

The Times are reporting that the loan will have an option to buy. Really exciting signing this one if the option to buy is true. The exact profile of player we should be looking at. 

Between this and the Bassey sale, it's going to be a busy few days. 

If Bassey is sold we need to be quick in getting defensive replacements in. Less than 3 weeks until our first qualifier.

2 minutes ago, DMCs said:

If Bassey is sold we need to be quick in getting defensive replacements in. Less than 3 weeks until our first qualifier.

Some truth in that. Though I think Tav-Goldson-Souttar-Barisic is a backline that's perfectly capable of getting us to the CL groups.

Big issue for us is we need some luck in the draw. If we draw Monaco in R3 or PSV in the PO then it might not matter what reinforcements we make. Those are two teams that will likely just put us on our arse, and we've a 50/50 chance of drawing PSV (assuming both sides win in R3).

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Some truth in that. Though I think Tav-Goldson-Souttar-Barisic is a backline that's perfectly capable of getting us to the CL groups.

Big issue for us is we need some luck in the draw. If we draw Monaco in R3 or PSV in the PO then it might not matter what reinforcements we make. Those are two teams that will likely just put us on our arse, and we've a 50/50 chance of drawing PSV (assuming both sides win in R3).

Is Souttar not injured at the moment? 

19 minutes ago, G51 said:

Souttar and Goldson not a bit too similar? I always assumed Souttar was signed as it was a good, cheap option if Goldson didn't sign an extension?

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Souttar and Goldson not a bit too similar? I always assumed Souttar was signed as it was a good, cheap option if Goldson didn't sign an extension?

Yeah they profile similarly - both good in the air and both can progress the ball with long passing. I think if Goldson had left then Souttar would have been expected to take over 30 games of Goldson's 60 games a season load, with the remainder split between Leon King and a new signing. 

While they don't necessarily compliment each other in the way that Bassey and Goldson does, I think they're both good enough players that they should be able to play together without much issue. Plus we might well end up sticking Lundstram back there and play 3CB anyway.

Decent fee for Bassey (if that’s correct), perhaps due to Ajax being a club that don’t usually agree to sell on clauses. Shame to lose a player like that from the game up here, but almost inevitable after the season he had last term. He’ll do well there, no question.