Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

1 hour ago, stressball said:

Nothing about this reported Tillman deal really makes sense.

It requires Tillman to have wanted to go to Rangers in the first place, when, by the same places reporting this weird deal, he apparently didn’t fancy it.

It would have made more sense for Bayern to just let his loan deal expire and sell him.

Absolute con job on Bayern by Bayern if this is the case. 

The option to buy Tillman was included in the loan agreement between Bayern and Rangers. So even though the loan itself ended, the option to buy remained. That's why they are having to compensate us in order to cancel that option to buy.

I suspect Tillman's reluctance to return to Rangers and the likelihood they have interested buyers willing to pay more than the fixed price we agreed last summer is why we have agreed the £1m + 10% proposal.

32 minutes ago, muirkirk nil said:

Is it official yet?.

Seems to be. Rangers friendly fan media first reported it and now Sky are reporting the same deal has been agreed.

1 hour ago, stressball said:

Absolute con job on Bayern by Bayern if this is the case. 

They guaranteed themselves a loan for a player and the player got to test the water in Scotland. From the outside it looks like Tillman has said "I'm not going back to Rangers" and Bayern have to face the consequence and cancel the agreement. I'm not sure why them getting a guaranteed £5m or - what appears to be happening, more - is then conning anyone?

Everyone has walked away from the deal up. Where's the 'conjob'?

16 minutes ago, AJF said:

The option to buy Tillman was included in the loan agreement between Bayern and Rangers. So even though the loan itself ended, the option to buy remained. That's why they are having to compensate us in order to cancel that option to buy.

I suspect Tillman's reluctance to return to Rangers and the likelihood they have interested buyers willing to pay more than the fixed price we agreed last summer is why we have agreed the £1m + 10% proposal.

Seems to be. Rangers friendly fan media first reported it and now Sky are reporting the same deal has been agreed.

"Seems to be"?"Sky are reporting"." Rangers friendly fan media".

11 minutes ago, muirkirk nil said:

"Seems to be"?"Sky are reporting"." Rangers friendly fan media".

… I’m not sure what more you’re expecting here?

https://news.stv.tv/sport/rangers-set-for-transfer-windfall-over-malik-tillman-deal-after-bayern-munich-cancel-transfer-agreement

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/malik-tillman-rangers-transfer-twist-30278442.amp

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/23601300.amp/

Everyone is reporting the same thing.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

From the same source-Four Lads Had a Dream Twitter page.Surely some journalists from the places you mentioned could get a direct quote from Sevco or Bayern Munich.

3 minutes ago, muirkirk nil said:

From the same source-Four Lads Had a Dream Twitter page.Surely some journalists from the places you mentioned could get a direct quote from Sevco or Bayern Munich.

Where do you think Four Lads first got it from 😂 Rangers use them to get some of their stories out. And if you think Sky, STV etc are going to report this as fact based on a twitter account without fact checking it first then I think it’s a bit naive.

Aye that Four Lads Twitter page is little more than a Rangers PR mouthpiece.

Id suggest what theyre saying is close to truth, but likely with some twist to make it look favourable to Rangers within it.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye that Four Lads Twitter page is little more than a Rangers PR mouthpiece.

Id suggest what theyre saying is close to truth, but likely with some twist to make it look favourable to Rangers within it.

I’d imagine Rangers wanted to get ahead of any headlines that suggested Tillman had knocked back joining us permanently.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

Where do you think Four Lads first got it from 😂 Rangers use them to get some of their stories out. And if you think Sky, STV etc are going to report this as fact based on a twitter account without fact checking it first then I think it’s a bit naive.

Has happened a good few times in the past tbf

Just now, LiviLion said:

Has happened a good few times in the past tbf

Aye, although that usually comes with the caveat of “our sources tell us…” whereas all outlets are reporting it as fact.

8 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Is it not more likely that as well as Tillman not wanting to move that Rangers don’t have £5m to spend on one player ?

Possibly. Although our pursuit of Dessers was seemingly going to cost us as much as that, plus the £3m we’ve already spent on Lammers so I’m not sure, really.

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

I once got a Sky reporter to ask a question about Mario Balotelli leaving Man City on the basis of his profile not working on their website.   They also reported Jamie Ness to Ross County on the basis of, well, bugger all.   It really doesn’t take much to get those folk to report anything.

That said, it does seem like Rangers have played a blinder here.

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I once got a Sky reporter to ask a question about Mario Balotelli leaving Man City on the basis of his profile not working on their website.   They also reported Jamie Ness to Ross County on the basis of, well, bugger all.   It really doesn’t take much to get those folk to report anything.

I don't think Rangers have played a blinder at all tbh. They've missed out on a player they really wanted and a fee that was probably under his market value.

15 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Aye, I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a great deal for us, but probably better than we could’ve hoped for if Tillman wasn’t interested in returning.

11 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I don't think Rangers have played a blinder at all tbh. They've missed out on a player they really wanted and a fee that was probably under his market value.

Agree - sign him for £5m and basically his value doubles overnight. Playing in Europe and for USA he’s in the shop window immediately.

He’s the type of loanee Celtic would sign for £5m then sell for £15m or so.

If Beale, as he claims is doing DoF and manager, and Rangers lose Tillman and Dessers then letting him do the 2 jobs was a costly error by his boss.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

25 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Agree - sign him for £5m and basically his value doubles overnight. Playing in Europe and for USA he’s in the shop window immediately.

He’s the type of loanee Celtic would sign for £5m then sell for £15m or so.

If Beale, as he claims is doing DoF and manager, and Rangers lose Tillman and Dessers then letting him do the 2 jobs was a costly error by his boss.

I think that’s looking at it too harshly with the intention to criticise Beale needlessly in my opinion.

If we had no intention of signing Tillman permanently then we wouldn’t have pushed for a loan deal with an option to buy. It just so happens that it seems like the player doesn’t want to join us with better offers expected to be available to him.

ETA: put it this way - Rangers are getting compensated for a reason. And that reason will be they’ve lost out on something they wanted.

Edited by AJF

4 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

They guaranteed themselves a loan for a player and the player got to test the water in Scotland. From the outside it looks like Tillman has said "I'm not going back to Rangers" and Bayern have to face the consequence and cancel the agreement. I'm not sure why them getting a guaranteed £5m or - what appears to be happening, more - is then conning anyone?

Everyone has walked away from the deal up. Where's the 'conjob'?

Surely after the loan period is up then the option to buy him has expired along with the loan contract?  

On 20/06/2023 at 16:37, Derry Alli said:

I'm sure there's rules against that now.

I think you have to stay at a club for one or two windows after registration.

There's an obvious loophole around it but no idea if you'd get fined etc for utilising it.

Luckily in this case it was the holding company his deal was signed with, nothing to do with the football club at all.

32 minutes ago, stressball said:

Surely after the loan period is up then the option to buy him has expired along with the loan contract?  

No, I don’t think so. If that were the case, we’d have needed to buy him before his loan expired which happens before the transfer window opens.

I think most option to buy type deals essentially give the club first refusal on whether they purchase the player at a previously agreed price. They could then choose to purchase him or not. If they decide not to then I’d imagine that would signal the end of the buy option.

It just appears to be in this case Rangers wanted to sign him, Tillman and Bayern want to go elsewhere so Rangers have essentially agreed to receive compensation in order for the buy option to be cancelled.