Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

He will certainly improve us over last season.  What's your take re. his fitness?

He missed about four months last season after picking up a knee injury at Reading. He had a couple of minor issues at the start of it too, IIRC. If he can stay fit and there is no big recurrence of those problems, however, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be Rangers' most successful summer signing. 

I rate him. His reading of the game is impressive, his distribution is generally good, he can retain the ball, link the team and he carries a goal threat from midfield. I last watched him for Norwich at the end of last season against Brighton (the game after they had been promoted to the Premier League), and I thought he was arguably the best player on the pitch. I'm a bit surprised Norwich didn't make more of an effort to keep him for another season or two, but if he wasn't fully settled down there and Norwich are going through a rebuilding process then it perhaps makes more sense to offload him at this juncture. 

5 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

He missed about four months last season after picking up a knee injury at Reading. He had a couple of minor issues at the start of it too, IIRC. If he can stay fit and there is no big recurrence of those problems, however, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be Rangers' most successful summer signing. 

I rate him. His reading of the game is impressive, his distribution is generally good, he can retain the ball, link the team and he carries a goal threat from midfield. I last watched him for Norwich at the end of last season against Brighton (the game after they had been promoted to the Premier League), and I thought he was arguably the best player on the pitch. I'm a bit surprised Norwich didn't make more of an effort to keep him for another season or two, but if he wasn't fully settled down there and Norwich are going through a rebuilding process then it perhaps makes more sense to offload him at this juncture. 

Drew Don I read the Old Firm threads regularly just to laugh at the bile and hatred the fans of the respective clubs have for each other.

Tonight though you have posted not 1 but 2 really sensible and well articulated posts. Well done.

11 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

My worry is that our fans see him as a bit of a mid-field enforcer.  Someone to put a bit of stick about.  I think they are wrong - having watched him playing for Scotland.  In his pomp he's ore cultured than that.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

My worry is that our fans see him as a bit of a mid-field enforcer.  Someone to put a bit of stick about.  I think they are wrong - having watched him playing for Scotland.  In his pomp he's ore cultured than that.

On paper, a really good signing for the club and a year too late imo. The sort of player The Rangers should have been after in the first place in the Premiership. If he can be a leader in the midfield then The Rangers have got themselves a potential player that should improve the quality in the middle of the park.

Downside, apparently injury prone in his latter years and will he fit into Pedro's tactics and philosophy or will Pedro waste his talent playing him in positions and tactics not suited to his playing style.

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Drew Don I read the Old Firm threads regularly just to laugh at the bile and hatred the fans of the respective clubs have for each other.

Tonight though you have posted not 1 but 2 really sensible and well articulated posts. Well done.

You are on the money, bud.  I'd love this thread to be a football discussion - seeing as we have a myriad of threads to discuss 'other things'.  I certainly appreciate @DrewDon's view.

10 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Yes, although there can be an aggressive side to his game, I wouldn't describe him as an enforcer. Having watched Jack for several seasons, he might be a suitable partner for Dorrans in most Premiership games, especially if opposition teams are content to give Rangers' midfield time on the ball. Jack's tackling can be a bit of a mixed bag too, though. 

You are on the money, bud.  I'd love this thread to be a football discussion - seeing as we have a myriad of threads to discuss 'other things'.  I certainly appreciate [mention=65248]DrewDon[/mention]'s view.

Only because its what you want to believe....

24 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

f**k up 2-clubs.

6 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

People can post wherever they like :lol:

3 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

Indeed, I will howl in any thread I want. :) Are we a pack of moon-howlers now? :lol:

The board is going down the shitter (as @Div said on Off the Ball the other week) and these chumps interrupt a sensible discussion with their dross.  Shame.

Just now, Hibeesbounce75 said:

people can post about rangers dying and a new club being formed as much as they want and wherever they want.

Scottish cup pics in 54321...

Always thought Dorrans was a great no10 and was wasted in a deeper role. I actually had high hopes for him for Scotland as a youngster, he was the championship player of the season at 21 iirc. Looked like he had the potential to go all the way at that time