Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2024/25

Hardly comparable, they were close to the wire, but didn’t suffer the ignominy of actually going bust, weren’t liquidated, dropped into the bottom tier or lose almost their *entire squad.

(*which in itself perhaps makes our current resurgence as a Football Club even more remarkable)
There is absolutely nothing remarkable about any "resurgence".

Not one single thing, except maybe the fact that yous havent managed a trophy.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

ALL 12 clubs?  I thought 42 comprise the structure of which Rangers are a part?  And it's not as if it's distributed evenly, is it now?

Anyway, don't you think even OF fans need competitions involving lots of clubs to lend their clubs' fixtures some  meaning?

Yes, all 12 clubs as the discussion was about the top league. Whether the money is distributed evenly is another conversation. One things for sure, it wouldn't be as much without Rangers games included which proves the Premiership was devalued in Rangers' absence.

In regards to games having meaning, that's a separate issue to the financial impact.

8 hours ago, thepundit said:

In regards to games having meaning, that's a separate issue to the financial impact.

Seriously?

That's just about the most bizarre thing you've ever said on here and believe me, the competition is fierce.

Are you honestly saying that how important fixtures are, in terms of the competition they're a part of, has no bearing on what they can be sold to a TV company for?

Extraordinary.

8 hours ago, thepundit said:

Yes, all 12 clubs as the discussion was about the top league. Whether the money is distributed evenly is another conversation. One things for sure, it wouldn't be as much without Rangers games included which proves the Premiership was devalued in Rangers' absence.

Once more, you're mixing up notions of value and price.

A smart bloke said something about that once.

33 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Seriously?

That's just about the most bizarre thing you've ever said on here and believe me, the competition is fierce.

Are you honestly saying that how important fixtures are, in terms of the competition they're a part of, has no bearing on what they can be sold to a TV company for?

Extraordinary.

Apologies, wasn't quite clear what you were asking. The importance of the games does come into the equation but the whole point I was making was the TV deal wouldn't be as valuable a proposition without Rangers than it would with them included. So you're just reinforcing that point.

There is absolutely nothing remarkable about any "resurgence".

Not one single thing, except maybe the fact that yous havent managed a trophy.

In that case, I’m sure you’ll be amongst the first to congratulate us when we do eh?[emoji6]

7 minutes ago, thepundit said:

Apologies, wasn't quite clear what you were asking. The importance of the games does come into the equation but the whole point I was making was the TV deal wouldn't be as valuable a proposition without Rangers than it would with them included. So you're just reinforcing that point.

Well yes - that's a depressing given.  Although it's true to a significantly lesser degree than many thought, as evidenced by the years from 2012-2016.  What they made clear was that it was important to TV companies to be able to show each of Celtic and Rangers.  Showing them together however, while desirable for broadcasters was not the be all and end all, many (including those charged with protecting the wider game's welfare) had believed.

All of that of course, only really matters if you adopt the frankly bone headed outlook that sees gross overall income as the most important aspect of a game's wellbeing.  I'd see a far better measure as involving the extent to which trophies are shared, which happened to an unprecedented degree with Rangers out of the picture.

To me, that's value; to you it's not.

Well yes - that's a depressing given.  Although it's true to a significantly lesser degree than many thought, as evidenced by the years from 2012-2016.  What they made clear was that it was important to TV companies to be able to show each of Celtic and Rangers.  Showing them together however, while desirable for broadcasters was not the be all and end all, many (including those charged with protecting the wider game's welfare) had believed.
All of that of course, only really matters if you adopt the frankly bone headed outlook that sees gross overall income as the most important aspect of a game's wellbeing.  I'd see a far better measure as involving the extent to which trophies are shared, which happened to an unprecedented degree with Rangers out of the picture.
To me, that's value; to you it's not.

Sky sports gift to football.

The change in view of success to financial gain instead of winning football competitions. The size of the tv deal now a measure of progress.

See England for the amount of teams that would rather finish 17th in the premier league than win a trophy.

Rangers fans like to engage in this ‘what about the tv deal’ nonsense because it bigs them up and devalues what Celtic did in their absence.

If they looked objectively they’d realise it’s a very sad indictment on the sport as a whole. The very fact some people suggest celtics league wins didn’t really count is absolutely depressing.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Sky sports gift to football.

The change in view of success to financial gain instead of winning football competitions. The size of the tv deal now a measure of progress.

See England for the amount of teams that would rather finish 17th in the premier league than win a trophy.

Rangers fans like to engage in this ‘what about the tv deal’ nonsense because it bigs them up and devalues what Celtic did in their absence.

If they looked objectively they’d realise it’s a very sad indictment on the sport as a whole. The very fact some people suggest celtics league wins didn’t really count is absolutely depressing.

All true.

It's mindless and entirely self serving.

The scary thing is that the belief that having the OF at the top of the tree is somehow good for everyone, is remarkably resilient, despite the proof that now exists otherwise.

11 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Hardly comparable, they were close to the wire, but didn’t suffer the ignominy of actually going bust, weren’t liquidated, dropped into the bottom tier or lose almost their *entire squad.

(*which in itself perhaps makes our current resurgence as a Football Club even more remarkable)

giphy.gif

Just when I thought I couldn't laugh at this cretin any more than I have been for the last few pages...

The Lord provides The People and The People provide the comedy.

Superb stuff.

Rangers legend & former captain Eric Caldow has died aged 84. Joined Rangers in 1952 from Muirkirk & spent 14 years at the club. Finished his career with Stirling Albion & Corby Town. Also capped 40 times for Scotland. Had a spell in management managing Corby Town, Hurlford United & Stranraer followed by scouting roles at Rangers & Queens Park.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17474413.former-rangers-captain-and-scottish-football-legend-eric-caldow-dies/

12 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Rangers legend & former captain Eric Caldow has died aged 84. Joined Rangers in 1952 from Muirkirk & spent 14 years at the club. Finished his career with Stirling Albion & Corby Town. Also capped 40 times for Scotland. Had a spell in management managing Corby Town, Hurlford United & Stranraer followed by scouting roles at Rangers & Queens Park.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17474413.former-rangers-captain-and-scottish-football-legend-eric-caldow-dies/

Scored 4 goals for Scoland, probably all penalties. This is one from the 2-0 win over England at Hampden in 1962. 

5 hours ago, Eednud said:

Scored 4 goals for Scoland, probably all penalties. This is one from the 2-0 win over England at Hampden in 1962. 

Did you pick that one because it was the season Dundee won the title :P  The season after the one you mentioned he had his career pretty-much finished at Wembley when he got a nasty leg break early on in the game we won against England - with His Slimness scoring both goals.  Remarkably for a full-back he was never booked in his career!

I don't remember much about Caldow personally, but he was a big favourite of my auld man's and of other Rangers fans of that era so it was sad to read of his death when I came in earlier.

Just a quick note after a discussion with @Eednud

Scotland destroying England in 1963 with, sadly, Caldow getting his leg broken after a terrible challenge.  Almostly as remarkable - Baxter did make a tackle and then scored a goal.  Some stunning names from Scottish football history on show - including Spurs' John White.