The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

What if you leave Premiership teams like Hamilton, ICT, Ross C or St Johnstone to earn double the cash at championship Hibs and also play infront of 10k every 2 weeks -is that a step down, up or sideways?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if you leave Premiership teams like Hamilton, ICT, Ross C or St Johnstone to earn double the cash at championship Hibs and also play infront of 10k every 2 weeks -is that a step down, up or sideways?

Step up I'd say. League position is temporary. Might drop down a level in the short term but in the long term the club he's at has got a better chance of reaching a higher level.

Still though. Moving to another club in the same league isn't always sideways step. If he moved to QoTS it might've been, if he'd moved to Dumbarton it'd be a step down a did he'd moved to Hibs a step up.

Applies to every league on the planet.

So Bournemouth to Manchester United would be a sideways step?

Eta: as Manchester United have European football let's say Chelsea or Liverpool instead?

Are you comparing the size of Dundee to Hearts as the same as Bournemouth to Man United?

Hearts/Aberdeen would be a step up, but of a marginal magnitude that it almost makes it pointless unless Aberdeen/Hearts is the highest a player can play at and as such maximise their earnings.

In the case of Hemmings and Stewart, however, I doubt we'd see either leave Dundee to join either of those two as they'll be able to make a much bigger 'step up'. Therefore, in general, Hearts and Aberdeen are bigger clubs and in some cases they'd be a 'step-up' for players, but for Hemmings and Stewart it'd be a step sideways considering the step up they would be able to make if they so wished ie, Rangers/Celtic/English Championship.

ETA: I know I've not explained that the best and it doesn't make complete sense, but I hope you've got the point I was trying to make.

How hard is this to grasp?

v Barcelona: P4 W4 D0 L0

Didn't see this mentioned here but one of trialists that played (according to the courier) in the win over Cove Rangers was Lewis Hornby formerly of Northampton Town.

o9KwDsB.gif

I doubt any championship sides will be after hemmings. 3 goals in 23 appearances in league one on his last effort in England ain't gonna impress anyone. Another bash at making it at that level may be more realistic.

Zwick and Ploj expected to start tonight, Hornby may also take part.

Zubar has returned to England, but will play against Blackpool next week.

Obadeyi is expected to be left out tonight and West Brom kid Joe Ward has returned and not been offered a deal.

I doubt any championship sides will be after hemmings. 3 goals in 23 appearances in league one on his last effort in England ain't gonna impress anyone. Another bash at making it at that level may be more realistic.

Charity bet on it? If Hemmings leaves Dundee to an English club in the next year it will be to a club no lower than the Championship.

Obadeyi is a bit of an unknown, he could be really good or bang average. Hopefully he's decent, good to see we finally brought some pace to the team and a WINGER finally.

Also good to see he's only been given a one year deal, to see if he's good enough. Unlike the tactic of Jackie giving boys 3year deals left, right and centre.

Trust me, he's one of the biggest shitebags i've seen wear a Killie shirt.

He's also pish!

Anybody want to take a guess at which point it will dawn on Utd fans that this is a lot harder than they expected it to be?

Here's a little thought for Utd fans. You aren't as good as Hibs last season.

They finished 3rd.

Falkirk who finished 2nd have seriously strengthened and that is before we look at St Mirren etc.

Given the absolute beating we gave to Falkirk I don't blame Utd fans for discounting you lot.

As for not being as good as "Hibs last season" ......how can you make that comparison?

Oh gav.

Given the absolute beating we gave to Falkirk I don't blame Utd fans for discounting you lot.

As for not being as good as "Hibs last season" ......how can you make that comparison?

Oh gav.

Christ man. It was a laugh.

You no aloud them these days?

Oh gav.

On a worrying note when I looked at both of you on the tele I felt I'd rather play Killie.

TBF if I had my own choice i'd of picked Thistle or Hamilton.

Nothing about him on Google. Is he a random schoolboy or what?

I tried to do a Google search too, and the only thing thing I could find was a happy birthday from his mum in 2012:lol: from that I can tell you he's 18 and Dutch.

Are you comparing the size of Dundee to Hearts as the same as Bournemouth to Man United?

Hearts/Aberdeen would be a step up, but of a marginal magnitude that it almost makes it pointless unless Aberdeen/Hearts is the highest a player can play at and as such maximise their earnings.

In the case of Hemmings and Stewart, however, I doubt we'd see either leave Dundee to join either of those two as they'll be able to make a much bigger 'step up'. Therefore, in general, Hearts and Aberdeen are bigger clubs and in some cases they'd be a 'step-up' for players, but for Hemmings and Stewart it'd be a step sideways considering the step up they would be able to make if they so wished ie, Rangers/Celtic/English Championship.

ETA: I know I've not explained that the best and it doesn't make complete sense, but I hope you've got the point I was trying to make.

Aye I have and I sort of agree but was just disagree with Deemans claim that moving to another team in another league that's playing against the same clubs etc was sideways.

Aaron Mooy who never impressed much at St Mirren a few years back just signed for Man City recently. Players improve over time you know.

So Bournemouth to Manchester United would be a sideways step?

Eta: as Manchester United have European football let's say Chelsea or Liverpool instead?

In footballing terms 'step up' means to step up to another level of football. What can Utd offer Toshney in footballing terms right now that Raith couldn't?

Would you still say it's a step up if Raith finish above the dabs or are even promoted? You can't change your mind at the end of the season. Right now, it's a sideways step.

In footballing terms 'step up' means to step up to another level of football. What can Utd offer Toshney in footballing terms right now that Raith couldn't?

Would you still say it's a step up if Raith finish above the dabs or are even promoted? You can't change your mind at the end of the season. Right now, it's a sideways step.

Agree to disagree then

No matter what job you do moving to a bigger company which offers more potential for yourself and a better wage it is a step up IMO.

Again what can Chelsea offer that Bournemouth can't right now?

Archived