The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

If Simon Murray had his shooting boots on he could of scored 5 or 6. The goal that was disallowed, does any one know if that ball crossed the line? That was some strike for his second though.

Really impressed by Murdoch, looks like a better version of Rankin.

Bell wasn't tested, while Obadeyi and Toshney weren't on long enough to judge them.

Fraser, Johnson and Telfer did look like they were in another class today, hopefully they can do the same on Friday.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was also impressed with Murdoch. He puts himself about and appears to be able to read the game well and seems to be the type of central midfielder we've been missing for the last few seasons (aggressive, intelligent and half decent on the ball).

If we do sign Flood then I wonder where that will leave Murdoch, Flood and Toshney in terms of position. The Raith fans are insisting Toshney will play defensive midfield but if we only play with two then one high earner (I'm assuming those three will be amongst the higher earners) will be benched or shuffled to somewhere else. I know Toshney came on at fullback yesterday but again the Raith fans have been telling us he is gash there. There is also Teller who, I thought, played well in that deeper role yesterday so I would assume he would have been used as a backup in that position this year. 

We played a 4231 yesterday so assuming Flood signs then the squad looks a little like this at the minute (with cover) - 

GK - Bell, Zwick

RB - Dillon, Toshney (cover)

LB - Dixon, Robson

CB - Donaldson, Souttar

CB - Durnan, Sukar

DM - Murdoch, Telfer

DM - Toshney, Flood

RM - Obadeyi, Johnson

LM - Spittal, Coote

CAM - Fraser, Smith (although he hasn't featured much pre-season)

ST - Murray, Anier (will be released in the next few weeks I think)

So in my opinion that leaves a glaring hole in the striking department and in central defence (I don't even know where Durnan is right now). If we can only sign two more (plus Flood) that should be our priority. Our central midfield looks quite strong and there is just about enough out wide to mix things up. I still believe that Dixon and Dillon are decent enough fullbacks to do well in the Championship and Bell should be one of the top keepers in the division. A reliable defender and a 10-15 goal a season striker and we are (I think) in a reasonable position. 

Bit of a strange move putting Toshney in at RB yesterday. Is that the position that Raymond thinks he will be playing? Wouldve been easier to just straight swap Souttar or Donaldson if he planned on having Toshney as a centre back

11 hours ago, Marr1 said:

If Simon Murray had his shooting boots on he could of scored 5 or 6. The goal that was disallowed, does any one know if that ball crossed the line? That was some strike for his second though.

Really impressed by Murdoch, looks like a better version of Rankin.

Bell wasn't tested, while Obadeyi and Toshney weren't on long enough to judge them.

Fraser, Johnson and Telfer did look like they were in another class today, hopefully they can do the same on Friday.

No it didn't cross the line. Poor finish.

21 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I would expect Toshney at centre half but providing cover for DM and a RB. Dillon will start the season at RB.

My thinking was that he was put out at RB to avoid any aerial challenges whilst recovering from his nose injury. Its a bit early to judge but i thought he looked a bit uncomfortable out there

My thinking was that he was put out at RB to avoid any aerial challenges whilst recovering from his nose injury. Its a bit early to judge but i thought he looked a bit uncomfortable out there

Yeah, that seems logical. Pretty sure he was signed as a centre half. Suspect Harry Souttar won't be first choice, yet.

17 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Telfer playing deeper yesterday? That's his best position, and too often we've tried to play him further forward which doesn't suit him at all. Still think there's a player in there.

IIRC the first couple of games he played for us was in a deeper position and he looked very good.

57 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Telfer playing deeper yesterday? That's his best position, and too often we've tried to play him further forward which doesn't suit him at all. Still think there's a player in there.

I slated his performance on Tues but he was like a different player yesterday. Much better but if we pick up another DM, he will go back to bench warmer. I can see Justin Johnson being a big player for us this season. Whilst not entirely comfortable with the ball played into his feet, he will destroy teams with the ball in behind

2 hours ago, Twinkle said:

I slated his performance on Tues but he was like a different player yesterday. Much better but if we pick up another DM, he will go back to bench warmer. I can see Justin Johnson being a big player for us this season. Whilst not entirely comfortable with the ball played into his feet, he will destroy teams with the ball in behind

Good stuff. Though I can't help but feel we'll all miss Guy Demel playing wide. Simpler times.

4 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

I remember a pre-season game at Hibs - must be 2 seasons ago, when Hibs were playing us off the park. We made a few changes, and Telfer was excellent playing deeper in midfield, coming and collecting the ball from the defenders and playing short simple passes.

Rarely ever saw him played there again. Instead we had Ranks and Pates waiting for the punts up the park.

19 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

Is flood actually signing? What's the script with him and any other signings; I take it none of the other trialists (zubar etc) have impressed?

It is all but confirmed but is expected to be announced at the start of next week (apparently). Dillon will be delighted to have his wee pal back in the squad. 

15 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I think we'll all miss his dynamism :(

Every good team needs a 'unit'.

Who's our most strapping guy now? Donaldson? :angry:

EDIT: scratch that, just seen the Brechin highlights. Good god, Harry Souttar is filling out.

Archived