Electric Chainsaws

Looking at getting one to tackle the tree in the garden, petrol is probably a no go as I am not manly enough.

Had a shot of an electric one at the weekend and it was actually quite addictive so I'm looking to get one now.

What's the most reliable brand? Looking at the £90-100 price range, looking for one that's easy to assemble too. Seen quite a few Bosch ones with favourable customer reviews but have said they can be tricky to set up.

Also additional extras like oil and a spare chain are a necessity?

I'll just leave this here, to help you decide.

How do you manage to type?  :P

Cheers, that looks pretty decent! Will have a swatch on google for more reviews

Looking at getting one to tackle the tree in the garden, petrol is probably a no go as I am not manly enough.

Had a shot of an electric one at the weekend and it was actually quite addictive so I'm looking to get one now.

What's the most reliable brand? Looking at the £90-100 price range, looking for one that's easy to assemble too. Seen quite a few Bosch ones with favourable customer reviews but have said they can be tricky to set up.

^^^^^^William Beggs

I got one from Lidl £49 ,did the job of cutting down the trees in my garden ,probably the only time I will ever use it except maybe Halloween to scare the shit out of the guisers

I got a perol one from Aldi or Lidl.

No bother to use apart from the fact that it does need regular maintenance.

If you are using it on softwood you need to take it apart and clean it after every use - otherwise the shavings clump together inside, after lying for a while and the whole thing siezes - and can refuse to move.

The chain also needs regular oiling by hand as the internal oil resevoir isn't really up to it.

The chain also need to be tensioned regularly.

Remember to allow it to cool before taking it apart as it gets feckin' hot.

If you are using it on softwood you need to take it apart and clean it after every use - otherwise the shavings clump together inside, after lying for a while and the whole thing siezes - and can refuse to move.

The chain also needs regular oiling by hand as the internal oil resevoir isn't really up to it.

What could possibly go wrong using a cheap chainsaw bought out budget supermarket?

its an Alligator saw if it's electric.

Bosch is a pretty good reliable manufacturer.

I have two, both bought from French diy shops. Latest one was 50 euro and it works well. If it's just for the occasional job, an electric one is fine. I use mine for cutting logs and always hold the saw to the side , in case of kick-back. You may not be able to do this if cutting down a tree. It's a good idea to wear a visor and a hat. Admittedly, I only wear the visor.  Make sure the chain is tensioned properly.

You must make sure there is oil in the reservoir to keep the chain lubed. Chain oil is quite thick. Looks and runs like runny treacle and can have a tendency to spray off the chain so wear ovies.

Good luck, it's all armless fun.

eta there's lots of info on the net, especially from the Yanks.

All of this ,  I have an expensive Bosch one and have all of the same  issues. As someone else said , get yourself some kind of protective gear for your face and dont chop your hands off .

Archived