Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

What about the halcyon 43 years from 1904-1947 when OF won every title, except for Motherwell in 1931-32?

Sounds just a shite as the past 20 odd years of OF dominance.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's still to do with the coefficient and why/whether it matters.

It's sparked some wider, related questions.  That's all.

You can whinge all you want about the inequality all you want but it won't ever change a damn thing. I can only envisage one outcome that is just about one pro going for sharing the gate receipts equally. More money at grass roots level by throwing in more financial resources giving the youngsters a far better chance of reaching their full potential, there ends the positives. Downside is that clubs except The Rangers are businesses and if you think for one second the smaller clubs will put ALL the extra cash straight into the club then you are as brain dead as the Sevco mob. Giving the smaller clubs higher profits only leads to greedy directors and shareholders taking a huge wedge out of the pie and also players know there is more cash and will probably demand a bigger salary and fans will also demand better quality players according to their increased budget.

But? If you still want to peddle your opinion still, then there are other factors at play the big clubs will still make the inequality a huge considerable factor. The big clubs sell more merchandise and rent more advertising spaces at higher costs and then there are the clubs sponsors and any other revenue that keeps the inequality from a level playing field. Would you really then advocate that the big clubs then share their profits from other sources of revenue they generate just so there is some sort of fantasy there is some sort of level plating field?

There never has been and never will be the level playing field that you want to somehow make things more equal and competitive. Large towns and cities pull more fans and have more support than their smaller competitors and have done since association footballs inception. Although in saying that, in the beginning of association football some of our well known smaller clubs used to have bigger supports than our modern equivalents who now have a larger support than they do now.

Legia Warsaw couldn't get through against the Lithuanian Slovakian champions and they ended with 9 men. Hapoel Be'er Sheva got a 2nd leg draw but are also out - they play APOEL in the UEL champions path so one of Israel or Cyprus will lose another team. Kazakhstan down to two teams.

Edited by Ginaro

On 31/07/2018 at 19:29, hellbhoy said:

You can whinge all you want about the inequality all you want but it won't ever change a damn thing. I can only envisage one outcome that is just about one pro going for sharing the gate receipts equally. More money at grass roots level by throwing in more financial resources giving the youngsters a far better chance of reaching their full potential, there ends the positives. Downside is that clubs except The Rangers are businesses and if you think for one second the smaller clubs will put ALL the extra cash straight into the club then you are as brain dead as the Sevco mob. Giving the smaller clubs higher profits only leads to greedy directors and shareholders taking a huge wedge out of the pie and also players know there is more cash and will probably demand a bigger salary and fans will also demand better quality players according to their increased budget.

But? If you still want to peddle your opinion still, then there are other factors at play the big clubs will still make the inequality a huge considerable factor. The big clubs sell more merchandise and rent more advertising spaces at higher costs and then there are the clubs sponsors and any other revenue that keeps the inequality from a level playing field. Would you really then advocate that the big clubs then share their profits from other sources of revenue they generate just so there is some sort of fantasy there is some sort of level plating field?

There never has been and never will be the level playing field that you want to somehow make things more equal and competitive. Large towns and cities pull more fans and have more support than their smaller competitors and have done since association footballs inception. Although in saying that, in the beginning of association football some of our well known smaller clubs used to have bigger supports than our modern equivalents who now have a larger support than they do now.

All a bit daft.

The idea that if there was more wealth in the lower leagues, it would just be pocketed by directors is, one I think you'd struggle to support.

The post seems also to assume that we can only have 2 possible set ups:  some utopian picture of absolute equality that I've not once suggested is realistic or even necessarily desirable; or the current set up that's wildly imbalanced anyway, but is significantly worsened by how European competition works.

It really doesn't need to be either.

Moving back to coefficient stuff and away from one man's attention craving...

Celtic recieved a small boost with the Champs League elimination of Bulgarian side, Ludogorets, one of the clubs with a better Club Coefficient. Opens up the chance of the Glasgow side gaining a coveted pot 3 seeding, should they reach the group stages.

I'm thinking Dynamo Kiev might also struggle in their 3rd round tie against Sparta Prague.

Edit: Basel were also emptied, Celtic need 3 more higher ranked clubs to be eliminated.

Edited by badgerthewitness

Moving back to coefficient stuff and away from one man's attention craving...
Celtic recieved a small boost with the Champs League elimination of Bulgarian side, Ludogorets, one of the clubs with a better Club Coefficient. Opens up the chance of the Glasgow side gaining a coveted pot 3 seeding, should they reach the group stages.
I'm thinking Dynamo Kiev might also struggle in their 3rd round tie against Sparta Prague.
Edit: Basel were also emptied, Celtic need 3 more higher ranked clubs to be eliminated.
I think it would be more ideal that this season Celtic reached the playoff round, lose and drop into the Europa League Group stages.

Obviously we would miss out on the 4 bonus points (1 for the coefficient) for them missing out on a CL place, but 2 wins in the Europa League (0.5 to the coefficient per win) would make up for that. Plus with having better seeding and smaller teams to face they would stand a better chance of getting more wins.

As for Hibs, Rangers and Aberdeen.

As long as 1 of them makes the next round i will be happy. Each has a hard task tonight.

Rangers need to avoid giving away an early away goal.

Aberdeen can go either way. They may have a storming game or crumble under the pressure of trying to win.

Hibs need some luck. And to shore up the defence somehow. Cant keep giving away soft goals.

2 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I think it would be more ideal that this season Celtic reached the playoff round, lose and drop into the Europa League Group stages.

Got to disagree with that,for me there is too many countries in and around Scotland to lose that point plus we could move up 3 or 4 places just on that alone.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

Got to disagree with that,for me there is too many countries in and around Scotland to lose that point plus we could move up 3 or 4 places just on that alone.
True. But if they make the groups but earn only 2 draws the coefficient gains 1.5 points.

They play in EL, and get 3 wins we gain 1.5 points.

They would have a better chance of progressing from a EL group than a CL group so could gain more points in the long run.

11 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

True. But if they make the groups but earn only 2 draws the coefficient gains 1.5 points.

They play in EL, and get 3 wins we gain 1.5 points.

They would have a better chance of progressing from a EL group than a CL group so could gain more points in the long run.

I do see your point but i'm thinking Celtic can do the same as last season with a better draw in the Europa after Christmas,
Looking at pot 3 

Pot 3                          coef.              Pot 4                          coef.
------------------------ --- ----------------     ------------------------ --- ----------------
Liverpool                Eng  62.000              Valencia                 Esp  36.000
Dinamo Kiev *3           Ukr  62.000              Viktoria Plzen           Cze  33.000
Schalke 04               Ger  62.000              Celtic *                 Sco  31.000
Olympique Lyon           Fra  59.500              Club Brugge              Bel  29.500
AS Monaco                Fra  57.000              Galatasaray              Tur  29.500
FC Salzburg *3           Aut  55.500              FK Astana *              Kaz  21.750
CSKA Moscow              Rus  45.000              Internazionale           Ita  16.000
PSV Eindhoven *4         Ned  36.000              1899 Hoffenheim          Ger  14.285

Apart from liverpool Celtic could get 3rd again. 

In terms of pot 3, Celtic need three of Benfica, Dynamo Kiev, FC Salzburg, or PSV Eindhoven not to get to the group stage. Very unlikely, however - Salzburg have failed to qualify the last two seasons, Benfica must beat Fenerbahce then PAOK/Spartak, PSV will likely play Qarabag/Young Boys/Malmo/Red Star Belgrade.

Although even if Dynamo don't make it, it's most likely they would be replaced by Ajax who would be pot 3.

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I haven't been this immersed in a European night since the 90s. Anyone else?

Was just thinking that myself. Mind you, it used to be around October when you had this feeling, not early August.