Premier League 2016-2017

Also it's not just in this country people are obsessed with EPL chat etc. Don't know if you've noticed but the EPL is kind of a big deal globally now.... It's the box office league all around the world.

In saying all this though Mastermind still really really really gets on my tits.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

I've been to London plus I've always supported Chelsea even when they were bad. Winning the league this season is what we deserve TBH.

What were your whereabouts on the 14th of May 2008, StandFree03? 

4 hours ago, jmothecat said:

The obsession some folk in this country have for Premiership teams is depressing though. My work is terrible for it, Premier League chat dominates football conversation despite being in a city with two major Scottish teams. People pretending to care about teams as if it is the same as supporting your local team you grew up with. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some on here are from English towns and have legitimate connections and I'm sure most football fans in Scotland have a passing interest in the English game (myself included) but there are a lot who haven't in this country and seem to just have been swept up with the 'greatest league in the world' hype. Particularly when it's on a forum created for discussion of Scottish football.

I say that as someone who follows Hull City. I've been to a handful of their games and have family connections but in the end if Hull get relegated this season and Aberdeen finish third I will be a hell of a lot more pissed off about Aberdeen finishing third.

i think people talk about the EPL etc because its easier to discuss major things that happen in it, EPL can be on the telly 4 times a week over 4 days at the weekend, by tuesday morning you have 4 days of in depth analysed games along with MOTD to discuss the finer points, its hard to discuss scottish football when all you have to go by the sports pullout in the daily fucking record

Also, there doesnt tend to be rivalries between teams in workplaces when its english football talked about (or foreign football for that matter), you can debate things without it going towards having a pop at each other through rivalry (which is left for when your in the boozer, pished and want an argument about football lol)

i think this part of the forum is quite popular because the scottish football section is basically just about ripping the c**t out of each other (fair enough, thats kinda the point), but when you fancy actually talking about football, its easier to do so when you dont have a particular leaning towards any side

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Marseilles have had a £20m bid for Payet turned down.

I also saw a story on Twitter that Payet has been removed from the West Ham players Whatsapp chat and told he wasn't welcome at a team meal.

Hopefully he sues them for constructive dismissal and wins a handsome payout.

or west ham sue him for his wages for the time he has been on strike, i doubt the players union has endorsed said strike and given west ham pay for his services then they have every right to want them

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Marseilles have had a £20m bid for Payet turned down.

I also saw a story on Twitter that Payet has been removed from the West Ham players Whatsapp chat and told he wasn't welcome at a team meal.

Hopefully he sues them for constructive dismissal and wins a handsome payout.

That's it.  I'm done with fitba.

In regard to the "you can't support this because a/b/c" I'm in two minds. I was born in Manchester to a United supporting family and my Dad very much remains a supporter. We moved south when I was young and I followed them heavily throughout the television from about 96 until 2011/12. That was when I started regularly seeing Thistle instead of once or twice a season.

Now I find it near enough impossible to feel anything for United as supporting a team through the television just feels utterly false. The whole Premiership setup as I've got older just feels utter sky hype driven and plastic. I know this comes across very #AMF which isn't really my stance. I can understand why the average joe won't spend £300 a year on a season ticket for the Scottish top league product, as the price really doesn't justify the product. But by the same token, getting excited now for a Premiership game seems alien to me.

In regard to the "you can't support this because a/b/c" I'm in two minds. I was born in Manchester to a United supporting family and my Dad very much remains a supporter. We moved south when I was young and I followed them heavily throughout the television from about 96 until 2011/12. That was when I started regularly seeing Thistle instead of once or twice a season.

Now I find it near enough impossible to feel anything for United as supporting a team through the television just feels utterly false. The whole Premiership setup as I've got older just feels utter sky hype driven and plastic. I know this comes across very #AMF which isn't really my stance. I can understand why the average joe won't spend £300 a year on a season ticket for the Scottish top league product, as the price really doesn't justify the product. But by the same token, getting excited now for a Premiership game seems alien to me.

I rarely even watch the premiership or MOTD now because it feels like you've described, used to love it as a kid too.

I rarely even watch the premiership or MOTD now because it feels like you've described, used to love it as a kid too.

I'd go out my way to watch MOTD every week, but now it seems rather similar and boring, this isn't in an #AMF way, but it's boring watching them hype up a game you know is guff from watching the scores earlier on in the day.

I'd go out my way to watch MOTD every week, but now it seems rather similar and boring, this isn't in an #AMF way, but it's boring watching them hype up a game you know is guff from watching the scores earlier on in the day.

People have already mentioned the foreshadowing (think that's the term) in it as well. If they show someone get a yellow card it means they're definitely going to get sent off and things like that.

I've got loads of them built up in my planner, too busy watching boxsets if I'm not out disco dancing.

Rarely go out my way to watch any games now though to be fair apart from Scottish ones, even enjoy watching the ones on Alba. There's something so raw about it plus the fact I have a vested interest in every team and game due to the town or city and you lads on here.

Champions League, EPL, Premier League, La Liga.... I actually do try and watch Bundesliga games just now there's something about that league at the moment I'm really enjoying.

Think there's maybe too much football on TV now though, will sit and watch City v Spurs Saturday and I watched both of the super Sunday games just past but that was the 1st time in a long time I've done that.

Anyone can support a Premier League team, but could they do it on a rainy day in Stoke?

That line is obviously a piss take but that ground of theirs is the coldest place I've ever watched a match.

Archived