Premier League 2016-2017

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I'm not really sure if I can see it, although I'm not too sure of the background. Did Rab just suddenly start supporting Liverpool in the last year or two and did he ditch a less successful team to do so?

If the answer to any of those two queries are No (even if one is yes) then I don't really understand why people are getting annoyed over it.

As for Rashford - the boy has done very well considering 14 months ago nobody had any idea who he was. He terrorised a Chelsea defence that has been getting praised all season long.

I'm not sure you've got what i was saying. Was just mentioning that everyone can see exactly what I quoted and responded too, which was claimed wasn't relevant to the point I was making. It clearly was.

Not really interested in the rest of the points you raise. Just wanted to debate the slagging Boro thing...peace out.

I'm not really sure if I can see it, although I'm not too sure of the background. Did Rab just suddenly start supporting Liverpool in the last year or two and did he ditch a less successful team to do so?

If the answer to any of those two queries are No (even if one is yes) then I don't really understand why people are getting annoyed over it.

As for Rashford - the boy has done very well considering 14 months ago nobody had any idea who he was. He terrorised a Chelsea defence that has been getting praised all season long.

He admitted to supporting them just as they were winning everything in the 80s.

I support Real Madrid as of today. All you guys support shit teams. Unlucky. 8)

I think its the P&B influence on me but i really don't understand why people support a team that doesn't represent their community in some sort of way. Having seen first hand the joy the Scottish Cup win brought to Leith and beyond I just don't see what genuine happiness i could derive from seeing a team in England winning a game of football. I have friends from the north of Scotland who say they support Man Utd or Liverpool despite not being to a game and they still refer to them as "we" or "us". Just seems utterly baffling to me and football is just a tv show to them.

I think its the P&B influence on me but i really don't understand why people support a team that doesn't represent their community in some sort of way. Having seen first hand the joy the Scottish Cup win brought to Leith and beyond I just don't see what genuine happiness i could derive from seeing a team in England winning a game of football. I have friends from the north of Scotland who say they support Man Utd or Liverpool despite not being to a game and they still refer to them as "we" or "us". Just seems utterly baffling to me and football is just a tv show to them.

Sometimes there's just no formula or reason behind why people support a particular team though, nor does there have to be. Even if there's no family affinity or geographical links to a club, sometimes people are just drawn to a team and decide to follow/support them for whatever the reason, whether it be the club being successful, a player you like or it could even be something as obscure as you think they've got a cool strip.

Just now, 8MileBU said:

Sometimes there's just no formula or reason behind why people support a particular team though, nor does there have to be. Even if there's no family affinity or geographical links to a club, sometimes people are just drawn to a team and decide to follow/support them for whatever the reason, whether it be the club being successful, a player you like or it could even be something as obscure as you think they've got a cool strip.

I suppose you're right but i speak to too many 20 somethings who say that they have no interest in Scottish football and its shit and support an English team such as Man Utd or Liverpool instead. Theres obviously a few Man City and Chelsea supporters nowadays since they have had the good fortune of being bought over by  billionaire sociopaths and got some success out of it. Each to their own though.

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

I get what you are saying and I also watch plenty of football up here and help out at a local club but I love watching Liverpool. Big crowds every week at the different grounds, getting to see all the top players and although Liverpool might not have been involved much recently finals at Wembley and in Europe. 

Then again watching Whitehill, knowing the players and seeing everything behind the scenes is also enjoyable. 

Most up here have some sort of allegiance to an English club and many get to a game or two. To only support an English club and go to a few home games a season missing out on the whole experience of following your team home and away every week is pretty pointless. 

Then again its just a hobby and at the end of the day just enjoy whatever you do :) 

5 minutes ago, LinkinFighter said:

Traveling down south to watch a big team every week is tragic.

Let's be honest LF ... and I've been to Motherwell a few times ... I don't think any of us on here can really claim to have the most exciting of lives :lol: 

Correct.

Sort of feels a bit false, like I 'support' the Raiders but it's a totally different feeling when I watch them. Like you say more like a TV show and they're the character that appeals to me the most and that I want to do well.

Arbroath can literally change my mood for days. I'm still getting over and pissed off about Saturday today. It's a community club, local business and backers, putting a football team on the park to compete nationally and represent the town. What it's all about I say. Feel a strong connection to the club that EPL/OF fans outwith Glasgow will never get.

17 minutes ago, LinkinFighter said:

Traveling down south to watch a big team every week is tragic.

Do you think so? I'd quite like to choose games and go more often. It is tragic when people use we and us etc to refer to a team they see on the telly.

Even more tragic is the fact I would do it and go to see non league games. Last time I was away with friends, they all went to Newcastle and I went to South Shields.

Indeed. I always find this intriguing. Both sides of the argument constantly mock/insult the other, and then get worked up when they themselves get mocked/insulted.

Personally I support Saints as it's my hometown club, and I feel a sense of pride in them representing the place. It's also been in my family to support them. My favourite footballing memory is celebrating a Semi-final goal amongst a couple of thousand fellow fans, and I find it baffling people I've spent my entire life around prefer to sit in pubs and cheer goals, and then mock me for supporting a team that aren't winning leagues, than actually be part of the experiences I have. I also find it baffling they mock attendances, when it's they themselves who are the actual reason for it.

Different folks, different strokes.

Do you think so? I'd quite like to choose games and go more often. It is tragic when people use we and us etc to refer to a team they see on the telly.
Even more tragic is the fact I would do it and go to see non league games. Last time I was away with friends, they all went to Newcastle and I went to South Shields.

When I was a nipper and my mums aunt & uncle were still alive, we used to go down visit them several times a year and go watch Carlisle United when we were down. They were pretty woeful from what I recall but enjoyable nonetheless.

There is no logic to supporting any team, so never understand people having a go at the reasons for people supporting certain teams. Obviously we try and justify it with being our 'local team', but the idea that a bunch of mercenaries playing for a year or two for a side located in our rough geographical area represents us is laughable when you think of it with any logic or reason. It's a romantic/emotional notion which we indulge ourselves with. The world has changed and as a result so has the way in which people pick clubs to support.

Why does it matter anyway? It's not really anyone elses concern. It's a bit of fun to take away from the monotony of everyday life, all that matters is what that person gets out of it.

5 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Fair enough for finally replying. Man City made a very good start and I think most of us expected them to be right up there challenging. You went to the extreme though in a latest attempt to shoot me down just because Liverpool had won a few games. 

If I'm being honest with you I don't think much of your contributions either. I don't understand why you would spend your time on a Premier League thread and discuss your team. I think you are still upset because I ruined the Lolverpool thread 4/5 years ago :) 

Fair enough if it's been 25 years I had you down as a potential fan boy from the Bryan Robson era. 

Take that tinfoil hat off you paranoid wreck :lol:

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Funnily enough I find it really strange when people like you can chop and change their team so easily. For me, supporting a team is being invested into the club, success and failure etc, so I really can't grasp how you can just decide when you move to Edinburgh to stop supporting Inverness or whoever and just become a fan of a club in the same league/country.

As most normal people would say though, each to their own, just because I don't get it doesn't mean it bothers me what people choose to do.

Archived